Chronicle: Kubiak is giving up on the run

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Link

Link

Dang Gary, I could have told you it's the offensive line. And no, Gibbs didn't become a bad coach overnight.

2. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I think that quote is reading too much into things:

Presser

The whole quote:

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Hey Gary....

There's this new-fangled thing called a screen pass that I heard does wonders for opening up a running game.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I've seen the screen used quite a bit.

What I do want to see more of is . . . Ryan Moats.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And we did okay with that.

6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I think Cushing is going to be a very good player but I still think you dont pass up quality OL early in the draft until you have five guys that can start and compete on an very high level. Oher and Mack could of made a huge difference for the next decade.

I will never agree with the Denver idea of drafting OL late and trying to sculp them into something. That worked fine when cut blocking was legal but just dont cut it anymore. :) You have to have the horses up front or you will fail when it really matters if you are going to insist on being a run first offense.

Kubiack giving up on the run could be the best thing that has happened to this team. Take a look at Indy or NO for example. Both have such explosive passing games it makes their runnig game go. This offense has the skill players to be on that level. Hopefully this will be a evoloutionary revalation for this offense and we will become the next elite passing team.

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

We ran an inordinate amount of screens yesterday.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I guess I'm talking generally. It doesn't seem like we've been running the screen pass much to establish the run this season. Especially early in the games.

9. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

DUH!! Payton Manning and the Colts don't depend on their running game, and look where they are! Five games with over 300 passing yds!! I wonder if MS has that in him! We have the receivers, we have the TE! Why not give it a try! JMO!

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Am I wrong in thinking that when we decided to be a pass oriented team last year, that the running game opened up?

My memory is really screwy, but I could have sworn that was the biggest difference between the beginning of the year, and the way we finished (top three in total offense). We were known for being explosive on 1st & 2nd down, and that's what teams prepared for, which backed the LBs up, backed the safeties up, and we were able to play one on one on the line, and create some space for Ryan Moats & Steve Slaton.

& if we've decided to go with a RBBC, which I thought we did 4 years ago, why in the heck do we not see Ryan Moats other than on special teams? We can rotate guards, but we can't rotate RBs? I think it's playing with the devil, tempting fate, when you keep sticking Slaton out there for 20+ carries.

Don't make no sense.

11. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Rookie

U make a good point.. IMO Brown's been pretty much giving the same as slaton.. In last weeks game.. Moat's came in and gave a spark to the running game, reminding me of sproles.. and when Slaton became threatened.. he stepped his game up and got some TD's for us.. Moats seems faster than slaton at the moment.. and he compliment him better imo

12. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

If Kubiak thought about using the pass to open up a run game, his head would expload.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Moats did seem to give some sort of spark, but gauging anything from the Raider's game IMO is tough. I mean lil Davie Carr pump faked his way into the end zone against them.

What I'd rather see is them get creative in the running game. We obviously can't get push up the middle consistently. So use plays that try to get the running backs to the edge of the field. Let Moats and Slaton use their quickness to their advantage for once. Run some stretch plays behind Brown and Daniels. Try some tosses to the outside.

Why do I get the sick feeling that the game has passed Gary up? He seems stuck on the late 90's Denver Broncos.

15. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm stunned that he considers that their best run play.

16. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Do we not have a running back that can leap over the mass of humanity that is our flatened O-Line?

17. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Schaub said you don't do that any more in the NFL.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Why, haven't you seen it before?

I have on more than one occasion. And one occasion I had front row seats to the goalline disaster vs. the Jags where he called this exact same play 3 times in a row and failed. To be honest, i've not seen it successfully work yet.

I'm just sayin'...I don't get paid to study them and I know exactly what unfolds out of that lineup in that situation. I'll bet the Cardinals DL did too.

19. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

I was thinking the same thing when reading the first post. If that's the best running play - I think there's more issues.

True - only QB's are allowed to leave their feet. (either when making a pass or trying to gain that extra yard)

20. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

The middle of our line is getting no push way to often, and the epicenter of this crisis is the C. Myers is undersized and under-strenghted for the position in this day and age. Until we get a real C, this is going to be a problem. Maybe if the guards were excellent we could cover for him, but it ain't like they are all that and a bag of chips themselves. We need interior line help bigtime.

This is a finessse line, built on quickness and athletism. So, quit pretending to be a smash mouth team up front. This group couldn't move a deck of cards an inch and I'm telling you Myers is the biggest issue. On the 4th down play he was totally outmanned and outgunned and that penetration ruined the play.

And WTH is the matter with Chris Brown. You either have to jump the pile in that situation, or get yourself low and drive those legs to try and sneak that ball in under the pile. One or the other. Instead he just ran with his normal upright style. That won't get it done unless the line opens a really nice hole.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009