Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chronic: Texans start searching for playmakers / Players hope time isn't up

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4438324.html

"I know that's a big topic right now, and all I can tell you is that David's going to be evaluated like every other player," Kubiak said. "You don't make quick decisions on players in this league. You make those decisions with a lot of people's opinions.

"As we re-evaluate our cutups and watch our film, you get every coach's opinion. I want to hear what they say. That's going to take some time with everybody, including him, and then we'll decide where we're going next."

"You've got to look at your options," Kubiak said. "You might be staring at the best option if you just coach a little better and work a little harder."

The Carr decision is paramount because Kubiak has a specific goal in mind for the offense during the offseason.

"We've got to find some playmakers," he said. "We have got to find a way to make some big plays. It's so hard to just march 3 and 4 yards a play.

"We didn't score enough points, either. Somehow, we've got to find guys
that can make big plays and score points, because we definitely didn't do that this year."

"We've got to find a way to put some pressure on some people," Kubiak said. "That's the one glaring thing I've been looking at when looking at where we made progress and where we didn't do so well.

"We've got to figure out a way to pressure the quarterback. You've got to be able to do that with four guys in this league. If you're having to dial up zone blitzes week in and week out, you're going to get burned. That's a big point of emphasis in the offseason."

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4438323.html

Right before David Carr cleaned out his locker at Reliant Stadium on Monday, he met with Texans general manager Rick Smith and former offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun. In the next few days, Carr will sit down with coach Gary Kubiak.

At this point, Carr has received every indication he will return to the team. Yet as he left the stadium with a bag of possessions, Carr wondered if that same locker would be waiting for him next fall.

"I love these guys," said Carr, who has two years remaining on his contract. "I think they're moving in the right direction. I think we're going to win some football games here. I think they're going to eventually win a Super Bowl here. I'd like to be a part of that."

A handful of veterans left the stadium in limbo, however, as did a number of unrestricted free agents such as running back Ron Dayne, defensive linemen Antwan Peek and N.D. Kalu, punter Chad Stanley, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and tight end Mark Bruener.

Stanley tied the Titans' Craig Hentrich to lead the NFL with 24 fair catches, but he lacked consistency overall this season. Stanley, like Carr, has been with the Texans since their inaugural season, and he is hoping his struggles this year don't keep him from returning.

"I had probably five games where I really did not come to play," Stanley said. "The majority of those games were on the road, so I have to find out why that is.

"We did some good things this year, though, and we're definitely on the right road."

Quoting the article:
When the Texans were healthy, they had three defensive linemen who were first-round picks — Mario Williams, Travis Johnson and Jason Babin. They might use the eighth pick in this year's draft on a pass rusher. The Texans finished with 28 sacks. Only four teams had fewer.

It seems to me, with 3 first round picks on the D Line, the Texans should be good now......but the thought of having an "off the hook" pass rusher would be sweet ! Obviously, with injuries being an issue, depth on the D Line is another angle the team needs to address. :twocents:

Kubiak mentioned that they dont score enough and they have to pressure the quaterback more.With this draft they have to focus on one or the other.But my question is why are they so focused on defense? You may stop a team from scoring 30pts. and lets say they score 20pts. we still cant score. If we cant find the end zone what good is a great defense.

Kubiak mentioned that they dont score enough and they have to pressure the quaterback more.With this draft they have to focus on one or the other.But my question is why are they so focused on defense? You may stop a team from scoring 30pts. and lets say they score 20pts. we still cant score. If we cant find the end zone what good is a great defense.

Good defenses can greatly improve field position.

And yes they can actually score too.

I'm mean, are u being serious? we may not be a 20 point scoring team but a great defense can change field position, score for you & can get the ball back for your offense thereby creating MORE opportunities for offense.

There is still a lot of work to do, and a lot of speculation can be done between now and April. It will be an interesting draft because the Texans still have holes to fill, but less than last year (i.e., even at worst, they don't need two tackles).

I enjoyed the last line of the article.

Quoting Bob McNair, "Rick doesn't act like he's got all the answers, either. He also listens to others. And he's very thorough."

Charlie Casserly acted like he had all the answers and I'm sure we all recall hearing about how the Texans hadn't done thier homework on Phillip Buchanon before handing those picks to Oakland for him.

It sounds to me like Rick Smith knows how to keep Bob McNair happy.

Quoting the article:
When the Texans were healthy, they had three defensive linemen who were first-round picks — Mario Williams, Travis Johnson and Jason Babin. They might use the eighth pick in this year's draft on a pass rusher. The Texans finished with 28 sacks. Only four teams had fewer.

It seems to me, with 3 first round picks on the D Line, the Texans should be good now......but the thought of having an "off the hook" pass rusher would be sweet ! Obviously, with injuries being an issue, depth on the D Line is another angle the team needs to address. :twocents:

Isnt that what Mario Williams was supposed to be?

I have a feeling that by the comments that Kubes said, they are not going to draft a safety in the first like so many want. I think he's leaning toward a pash rusher again or an offensive player, probably RB or QB. That's just my guess.

I have a feeling that by the comments that Kubes said, they are not going to draft a safety in the first like so many want. I think he's leaning toward a pash rusher again or an offensive player, probably RB or QB. That's just my guess.

i cant believe he hasnt mentioned the o-line.

I know you can't turn back time but I am just shaking my head at what I'm reading. The last draft was loaded with playmakers, guys who can help the offense and score from all parts of the field yet we passed on them for pass rush. Now we are saying that last years draft didn't fix it so we need to draft it again. Great logic this year if we had taken playmakers last year in the first round.

Also, what would a meeting with Carr produce?He is going to say, "I love the team and want to stay." I mean they pay him a ton to do nothing. The team will tell him that they are liking his progress. They both will say what is best for them.

they need playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball. they need somebody that strikes fear into the hearts of receivers or QB's. a guy in the secondary that is either a huge hitter or a ballhawk that is a threat to take it the distance on an INT.

If Dom Davis, er, Williams comes back then RB may not be a position they have to address. Hopefully, they realize that the QB that is there now is NOT a playmaker and the offense will never get off the training wheels with him running the show.

I know you can't turn back time but I am just shaking my head at what I'm reading. The last draft was loaded with playmakers, guys who can help the offense and score from all parts of the field yet we passed on them for pass rush. Now we are saying that last years draft didn't fix it so we need to draft it again. Great logic this year if we had taken playmakers last year in the first round.

Well, Mario is supposed to be getting 10-12 sacks. He was a rookie that was hurt, but hopefully he can turn it around.

they need playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball. they need somebody that strikes fear into the hearts of receivers or QB's. a guy in the secondary that is either a huge hitter or a ballhawk that is a threat to take it the distance on an INT.

If Dom Davis, er, Williams comes back then RB may not be a position they have to address. Hopefully, they realize that the QB that is there now is NOT a playmaker and the offense will never get off the training wheels with him running the show.

Well, we are going to have to change QB's. Carr is not the answer. And don't tell me sage, cause he is not the long term soution. So who do you want, Jake Plummer? There is not alot of options. If we draft a rokkie next year, he's gonna have to be on training wheels also.

Baltimore Ravens!!!!! Superbowl winners!!! Great defense, worse offense than the Texans

Baltimore Ravens!!!!! Superbowl winners!!! Great defense, worse offense than the Texans

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about THIS year's Ravens team.

Uh, no. Great defense and better offense than the Texans.

They're averaging 217 ypg passing; we're averaging 173 ypg.

They've scored 21 td's in the passing game, we've got 14.

They've given up 14 interceptions, we've got 13.

They're QB's were sacked 17 times, ours were sacked 43 times.

We are slightly better than them in the run game but overall, they've got the better offense.

Well, Mario is supposed to be getting 10-12 sacks. He was a rookie that was hurt, but hopefully he can turn it around.

Its the injuries and some of the games that scare me though. A #1 pick is supposed to be a playmaker not a project.

Well, we are going to have to change QB's. Carr is not the answer. And don't tell me sage, cause he is not the long term soution. So who do you want, Jake Plummer? There is not alot of options. If we draft a rokkie next year, he's gonna have to be on training wheels also.

Veteran QB's can be had. I wanted Brees last year. Would have taken Kitna as well (people laughed at that one). There may be other vets available this offseason that we have yet to hear about. I would be fine with Plummer. Is he great? No. But he's played on winning teams and knows what it takes. Maybe the #1 benefit is that he is NOT David Carr. I have to think many on the team have lost their respect for him and would rally around somebody new (no matter WHO it is).

Yeah, that defense was a top five defense of ALL TIME!!! The texans are not even close to having that quality of defense. But teams usually win a supebowl with a very good defense and a solid offense. The Patriots have always had excellent defenses, but they had a good offense that could move the ball. Same thing with the steelers last year, good defense, Compitent offense.

Veteran QB's can be had. I wanted Brees last year. Would have taken Kitna as well (people laughed at that one). There may be other vets available this offseason that we have yet to hear about. I would be fine with Plummer. Is he great? No. But he's played on winning teams and knows what it takes. Maybe the #1 benefit is that he is NOT David Carr. I have to think many on the team have lost their respect for him and would rally around somebody new (no matter WHO it is).

Brees was a risk casue of his shoulder, There is usually not great Qb's in free agency. Teams will usually re-up them. Plummer will get you some wins, but he will never ever take you to a Super Bowl.

We are slightly better than them in the run game but overall, they've got the better offense.

I think he a meant the Ravens of six years ago...

I think he a meant the Ravens of six years ago...

Yeah, I only realized that after reading someone else's response to him.

But that offense was STILL better than ours. They threw for over 3000 yards and 20 TD's. They ran for over 2000 yards and were getting 4.3 yards per attempt. Overall, it was the 16th ranked offense.

what happened to building from the lines out. i mean wasnt that the plan to get our offensive and defensive lines strong. we already have playmakers and when you have good fronts it makes good players into playmakers. you think all those wr's the old oilers had were probowlers or was their qb just given time to throw. and how bout the oilers defense. their front 4 were incredible.

get your lines together everything else will fall into place. except free safty, we definatly need one of those.

I am in favor of staying where we are (#8) first and foremost and not trading up. Trading up costs you at least one first day pick plus your own first rounder. With the many holes already on the team, any pick is a possible gem. I think everybody saw what can happen when you have your full complement of selections in 2006. If they want to wheel and deal for another first day pick in the second and third round rounds, fine. But trading up just costs you way too much, especially inside the top 10.

Brees was a risk casue of his shoulder, There is usually not great Qb's in free agency. Teams will usually re-up them. Plummer will get you some wins, but he will never ever take you to a Super Bowl.

exactly. I think this franchise needs to think about getting 'a few wins' before it can mention the words 'Super Bowl'.

what happened to building from the lines out. i mean wasnt that the plan to get our offensive and defensive lines strong. we already have playmakers and when you have good fronts it makes good players into playmakers. you think all those wr's the old oilers had were probowlers or was their qb just given time to throw. and how bout the oilers defense. their front 4 were incredible.

get your lines together everything else will fall into place. except free safty, we definatly need one of those.

Who do you consider a playmaker? AJ is the only one. Dayne will get you four yards a carry but will not bust the 30 yrd one. Moulds is a borderline #2 reciever. And carr? we'll just leave it at that. ANd on defense, we really don't have a playmaker.

Who do you consider a playmaker? AJ is the only one. Dayne will get you four yards a carry but will not bust the 30 yrd one. Moulds is a borderline #2 reciever. And carr? we'll just leave it at that. ANd on defense, we really don't have a playmaker.

on defense we got ryans, daunte, peek and mario.

on offense we got we got aj, mathis(coming back), moulds(one of the guys im talking about, that would be a playmaker if the line would hold up), daniels(made some plays this year and would make more if the line was better). if we get good blocking one or two of our rb's could be playmakers. i think dayne showed us this with his performance. with taylor and davis(or whatever his name is) a good line will make one off these guys a playmaker.

you dont need a superstar running back. denver has showed us this. same with indy they let theirs go and didnt miss a beat. and how did that guy do in arizona without a line. not very well.

on defense we got ryans, daunte, peek and mario.

on offense we got we got aj, mathis(coming back), moulds(one of the guys im talking about, that would be a playmaker if the line would hold up), daniels(made some plays this year and would make more if the line was better). if we get good blocking one or two of our rb's could be playmakers. i think dayne showed us this with his performance. with taylor and davis(or whatever his name is) a good line will make one off these guys a playmaker.

you dont need a superstar running back. denver has showed us this. same with indy they let theirs go and didnt miss a beat. and how did that guy do in arizona without a line. not very well.

I'll give you demeco, But the other guys don't really change a game for you. They don't sack the QB on a regular basis. They don't return INT's for TD's
like a champ bailey or Pac Man jones does. I agree that you don't need a star running back but you need a good QB. And we don't have either one.

mission accomplished. now who will they draft to help beat Vince Young for the next 15 years???

I don't think the Texans need to draft anyone in particular to beat VY. The dude ain't superman. He only plays on 1 side of the ball.
I am of the opinion that the way to beat VY is going to be the same way Payton Manning gets beat. Play ball control to keep him off the field. I could be wrong about that but it seems like a good way to contain him. JMO.

I don't think the Texans need to draft anyone in particular to beat VY. The dude ain't superman. He only plays on 1 side of the ball.
I am of the opinion that the way to beat VY is going to be the same way Payton Manning gets beat. Play ball control to keep him off the field. I could be wrong about that but it seems like a good way to contain him. JMO.

A good way NOT to contain him would be running a sellout blitz in overtime with a safety who can't cover his gap or tackle worth a damn! But hey...that's just me. Good defenses don't have too much trouble with VY. We are not a good defense right now. We are improving, but by far...an unfinished project.

Safeties weak
Corners inconsistent
Demeco a god
DLine inconsistent and not healthy enough.

Reactions: ATX
A good way NOT to contain him would be running a sellout blitz in overtime with a safety who can't cover his gap or tackle worth a damn! But hey...that's just me. Good defenses don't have too much trouble with VY. We are not a good defense right now. We are improving, but by far...an unfinished project.

Safeties weak
Corners inconsistent
Demeco a god
DLine inconsistent and not healthy enough.

You are right Coach, if VY sees the slightest bit of daylight......he is gone. All the more reason to try and keep him on the side line. Our defense needs to be shored-up some more....no doubt and I am hopeful we will have a productive draft/FA finding in '07.
I am really looking forward to draft. There are so many different ways the Texans can go it will truly be interesting.

Those passing numbers fopr Baltimore are a little misleading. Let's not forget that Banks had the helm early in the season and was scoring 30+ points a game early in the season, then the bottom dropped out of the barrel. Banks was benched and Dilfer started "managing the game". That offense was abysmal for them late. So I tend to disagree on this point.

you dont need a superstar running back. denver has showed us this.
Have they really? The only time they were ever a real dominant team is they had superstar backs. They were decent to good with no name guys churning out 1200 yards or so but they did much better as a team with Portis and Terrell Davis as their feature backs. I guess it depends on if you like your team mediocre or you want to build something great.

Those passing numbers fopr Baltimore are a little misleading. Let's not forget that Banks had the helm early in the season and was scoring 30+ points a game early in the season, then the bottom dropped out of the barrel. Banks was benched and Dilfer started "managing the game". That offense was abysmal for them late. So I tend to disagree on this point.

This was from when I thought he was talking about THIS YEAR'S Ravens. Those are the numbers from this year.

But, still, whether the bottom dropped out or not, the Ravens still put up those 30+ point games early in the season. Those yards were gained and those points were scored. You can't really NOT include them. And even with Dilfer, he ended up putting up 1500 yards and 12 TD's in a little less than 9 games. That's better than our O.

Bottom line is they still made plays in the passing game. Until we can make some intermediate passes on a regular basis this offense will be a joke. Scanning a stat line doesn't tell you when critical plays are made in key spots.

The 2000 Ravens also went 5 straight weeks without scoring a single offensive touchdown with Tony Banks at QB. That was when they had no choice but to make the switch to Trent Dilfer.

Back