Chronic: Texans defense targets Dallas' Bledsoe

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4250436.html

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Yea, this is a big week for our defense.

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

McClain is saying in his most current audio that Mario will be moving to
    the inside and Babin & Peek (coming back from injury), will be on the outside in passing downs against Bledsoe and the Arlington Cowboys. As we approach the midpoint of the season, just one more example of how the coachs rate Mario no better than our 3rd best edge rusher.

4. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Wouldn't you want him in the middle to try to get the pocket to collapse and then flush out a QB that doesn't like to run?

5. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Maybe the D coach's feel there is a mismatch with Mario at tackle and speed rushers on the end. Jones appears to be more of a up the middle back so have Mario's big self would be an advantage.

I think its more of a reflection on the lack of talent at DT.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Does the saying "Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" come to mind?

Double Barrel likes this.
  7. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Ding ding ding. Too many DE guys, not enough DTs.

Alfred Malone with the broken hand doesn't help.

Kubiak said prior to the Dolphins game that some of the best plays that Mario made were at the tackle position.

8. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

All I know is that we should bring the house to pressure Bledsoe. I watched him in the Philly game and when he gets any kind of pressure he folds faster than a wet noodle. If we allow Bledsoe any amount of time back there, T.O., Glenn, Witten, and Crayton will rip our secondary to shreds.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but this sounds like one more rationalization for moving Mario inside
    to make room for more capable edge rushers.
    Just as Reggie Bush over in NOLA is not going to be a big-time running back
    in this league but may succeed nicely at WR, Mario may eventually be more
    productive and valuable to the team playing on the inside. Now if he ends
    up being like, oh maybe Tommie Harris, that's not all bad.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So you put your 3rd best edge rusher on the edge for 1st & 2nd down, then you put your 1st best Edge rusher in on 3rd down??

If TJ would get in somebody's face, Mario will stay on the edge.

11. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

I think Kubiak kept Mario on the outside after the first game until he got his first sack to build confidence. Now that mario has done that he will move Mario to the inside on 3rd downs (as was the original plan) where Mario can utilize his size and strength to draw attention and leave the edge open for our quicker rushers. It's a double edged sword for the OLine. Double Mario and Peek or Babin have a straight shot, double Peek and Babin and Mario has a straight shot.

12. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

If i see less than three people blitzing on the Texans first defensive play of the game, i'll be disappointed.

13. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

I view it as putting all your best options on the field at once. Which in turn raises the chances for a sack or a play disruption.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Which is why I'd put Peek at LB more often. Especially if the plan is to rush the QB.Mario & Babin as the DEs, Weaver & anybody else at Tackle, then Peek as a LB....

15. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

Sounds good peek should take orr's spot IMMEDIATELY!

16. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I think that Peek plays DE rather than OLB because he was pretty lousy in coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing Peek come in at OLB occasionally to blitz though, but IMO Orr is the more complete LB.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I here ya............ but I think Orr's coverage abilities is part of the terrible LB play I blame most of our defensive woes on.

18. GP

GP Go Texans!

The only thing about blitzing the Boys: TO can be free to run right past our corners AND safety.

I just want to say this right now: TO could have a VERY big day against us. He's been held in check by other teams, and this game is at home for them, and he could really "go off" if we blitz and don't get to Bledsoe.

Our coaches need to get the offense and defense on the practice field this week and should be running the "AJ goes deep" play over and over so the d line can practice trying to get to Carr before he can square up and throw the ball--If they can pressure a mobile guy like Carr, then they can get to the Human Statue with ease.

This week's practices should obviously have the offense runnig its share of plays, but I think a smart move for the coaches would be to focus on blitzing and clawing and scraping to get to the QB on every blitzing play. Put flags on carr and let them try to get the flag before he can throw.

Do ANYTHING to pound it into the heads of the defense that this game can be won only if we do to Bledsoe what the Eagles did.

But if we have the same paltry effort of a pass rush that we had aainst Culpepper, then we're toast. The Boys' o line is not nearly as bad as the Dolphins o line. And that's what concerns me: TO could have a very very big day if we don't get to Bledsoe.

I'll also say this: This game's gonna' go one way or another. (1) Bledsoe beats the blitz and we get our rears handed to us BIG TIME with ESPN and NFL Network running "TO finally breaks loose vs. Texans" all week long until next Sunday, or (2) We get to Bledsoe and then TO blows his cool and goes OFF on anybody around him--It's the sort of meltdown that WILL happen if he cannot get the ball and get the big plays agianst OUR team in THEIR home.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Dallas isn't home to T.O. just yet. He still has a lot to prove.

Granted that we need to get pressure on Drew Bledsoe, but that doesn't necessarily mean we've got to blitze every down. The Jags beat them, only getting two sacks. Of course.
    IF we can find a LB to take away the quick slant, we can handle T.O. & the other recievers just fine.....
    Screw the Eagles...
    & why do you think that?? because they didn't give up any sacks to Tennessee?? Philly sacked Bledsoe 7 times. they only got Carr 5 times. Washington got him once, Washington got David once. To me, that tells me their OL is on par with ours... & we know about our OLine don't we???
    Julius Jones is where we need to focus. Take that away from them, and Bledsoe goes into panick mode already. Add a little pressure, and it's over.

20. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Jim Johnson is one of ..if not the best defensive cordinator in the league. smith should actually take detailed notes from the Eagles game and see if he can at least come close to the schemes they ran last sunday.

We defiantely don't have the Defense Philly does but Ifwe can get some pressure on Bledsoe i think we have a fighting chance defensively. Offensively keep committed to the run enough to keep them off balance, a screen play or two could really help lay off the blitz packages some, Pat watkins showed himself as a liability last game AJ and Moulds can have a big game if The later half of the eagles receiving core did so well, Play action could work well in this game with the cowboys safeties as Roy williams loves to come up and help with the run, all and all i think the O wil lbe fine but the D really needs t oget pressure on Bledsoe and keep the middle of the field secure.

As for TO... I am still not worried about TO. TErry Glenn is a more pressing concern and IF we don't secure the middle of the field Witten is dangerous and there's a chance TO can come across on a slant and turn it int oa big play. I still don't get the feeling the other players on that roster think of TO that highly and ithink parcells is doing his best to keep the cancer that TO is away from the good core of players he has brought there DESPITE Jerry Jones best efforts.

The Eagles showed us the recipe fora W now the rest is left to see if we got the ingredients here to make it work. all me crazy but i think we got a decent shot at this one.