Chronic: Texans' CB tries to make most of second chance

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3949041.html

2. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

The common thread in all of these uplifting statements from people we have thrown on the trash heap is Kubiak and his coaches. They look at Caper's trash heap and they are going OMG what a diamond in the ruff. Whe simply need to transform this gem into a player. You can say this of Carr, PBuc, Wand, Peek, Babin, even perhapes Mario. The name of the game in the NFL is coaching. I don't know how long we will be able to retain this coaching staff, but enjoy the ride while it lasts. You aren't going to see something like this very often in your life time. This is going to be an amazing year.

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

If we can put together a string of solid of winning seasons I hope Kubiak sticks with us like Cowher has with Pittsburgh.

4. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

The head coach is obviously important, but it's his staff that he put together this year that could be even more important. Mike Sherman won't be an assistant for much longer I'm sure. And do we still have our old D-backs coach. I think he was offered to stay on here, but then offered a higher position job elsewhere. If he's still here, he won't be for much longer too. Quality assistants move on all the time.

5. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    If we put together winning seasons Kubiak will have no reason to leave - it might cost us a bit more for his salary! As native of Houston he'll want to turn his home town team into a dynasty. Regular winning visits to the SB, regulars in the Play Offs and team to be feared EVERY season.:play:

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Good article. Mea Culpas are a step onto the road to recovery. We need PBuch this year.

7. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I think Pbuc can turn it around. He is still young, athletic, quick and smart. I am looking forward to watching Pbuc this year.

This is the way that I see it. Drob is a hitter but gives up the big play. Pbuc is a play maker but gives up the big play. The only CB we have ever had that was a solid cover corner was Glenn and we let him go north. What we need is a pair of solid safeties so our two corners can take there chances and do there thing.

One more thing, how come we always talk about the wiff and never the game winning pass defense against cleveland?

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think all of us posters could learn something from Kubiak and his staff's attitude of starting everyone with a blank slate and see where it goes from here. After all, "bad coaching" wasn't just a platitude to describe last year, it affected many players in many different ways.

9. gsbtxn

gsbtxn Veteran

If we did talk about it, we would say he was beat, the pass was underthrown and he got lucky.:stirpot:

Runner likes this.
  10. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

i wish p buc all the best under the new scheme, and i have have nothing but hopes that he becomes that shut down corner that he was drafted to be.

11. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

i second that statement,that i too hope that both earl and CC become solid safeties during the season so that our corners can take risks and make plays

12. Runner

That would certainly make us a better team.

I get the feeling some people want to see this guy (and other favorite Texans whipping boys) fail so they don't have to say something like:

"He is better than I thought"

which is uncomfortably close to

"I was wrong".

13. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

If a player doesn't perform as well as hoped, it is for one of two reasons:

1. He is playing the best he can, but is simply a marginal player. Maybe better suited to be a backup. (Glen Earl, CC Brown, Victor Riley)

2. He isn't playing up to his ability due to poor coaching, poor work habits, or both. (Jason Babin, Seth Wand, Travis Johnson)

Buchanon is in the second group. He has all the ability in the world and if someone can get him to play like it, we will have a very good CB on our hands.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno.....don't want to be a pessimist, but P-Burnt had a brand new, fresh
    start last year with new coaches, new team, new system and he cra##ed all
    over the field the very second game of the season. Now he's had the off season to fabricate some yarn about how he was just trying to make a play
    on his infamoust nontackle on the Pitt RB. I would have rather heard him take
    responsibility for his pathetic moment.
    As it is, he may be the second biggest beneficiary after Seth Wand of this new regime: lets see if he can take advantage of his second chance in two
    consecutive years with the Texans. It may be his last chance in the NFL to do so.

15. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Vic Fangio

16. Runner

Probably true. Since the coaches haven't been shy about letting go of the players who they don't think measure up, let's hope the they are good talent evaluators and are accurately predicting how the new systems will affect current players.

For instance, has anyone every studied how well P-Buc covers for 3-5 seconds vs. the 5-7 seconds that was required last year due to lack of pass rush? ( I don't know the real number of seconds, I'm just throwing those out as illustrations). Or do we all just remember the ole and leave it at that?

For Wand's case, does everyone remember just the 12 sacks in 2004, none of which the board ever attributed to the RB or QB as we are so quick to do now? Do we consider the lack of penalties or the fact that he was arguably the best run blocker the Texans have ever had?

I think the coaches are looking at all facets of play, not just the ones we beat into the ground here. I think this goes for all the players - Carr, Dre, Dunta, Joppru, McKinney, Mario - everybody. I think the coaches are developing a true picture of skills and will leverage what we have. Call me an optimist.

17. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i was excited about the trade, when we got him, but had to hate him during the season, but now im excited again

best of luck to him this season

18. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I have one question for all of you.

Did we . . . or did we not . . . get an effective pass rush on the opposing QB last year? Yes or no?

The answer should be obvious to anyone who watched or listened to any of the games last year. So therefore, it should be obvious why PBuch sucked, or DRob sucked, ot the safeties sucked.

If the front 7 sucks, then the secondary will suck. There's never been a case in NFL history where a secondary played well if the guys up front couldn't get pressure. NEVER!

So this jive about . . .
    . . . our safeties needing to play better, so our corners can play better is . . . silly putty.

Our safeties, and our corners, will play better if, if, . if . .

Let's see now. What was the area of the team that had the most attention this offseason? We'll see how it plays out.

19. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

20. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Man, theres a whole lot of suckin going on!

No we didnt have a pass rush. However, when Drob or Pbuc or Faggins made a move on the ball and failed not once did I see safety help. What I did see a whole lot of was our safeties playing shallow and stopping the run or defending the short to indermediate routes leaving our corners exposed to the deep pass. How many times last year did we see Coleman tailing the play?

Instinct counts for alot when playing the safety position. You only have a second to see what the running back, TE, and receivers are doing when the formations break. We gave up alot of deep balls last year.