Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] DelJuan Robinson has strange number, inspiring rise

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6455203.html

Even after we saw him make plays, impact plays even, last season, something about DelJuan Robinson just doesn’t look right on the Texans’ defensive line.

At 6-3, 300-plus, he’s one of the big boys, so it’s not that.

It’s that number he wears: 66.

Sixty-six? For a big, nasty interior defensive lineman?

It looks weird, all right, but you are going to have a fight on your hands if you try to take that jersey away from Robinson.

“I don’t care what it looks like; I ain’t changing it,” Robinson said after Tuesday morning’s workout. “I’ve had a couple of opportunities to get a number in the 90s, but I won’t do it.

“I didn’t ask for it; they gave me the number. And they’re going to have to take it away.”

Robinson isn’t attached to the number because he loved it as a child. His No. 9 is retired at Hernando High School in Mississippi, where he starred at defensive end. He wore No. 98 at Mississippi State, where he was signed by Jackie Sherrill.

No, Robinson’s 66 was a temporary number that NFL teams give to players when the roster is too big for everyone to have digits that correspond to their position. Big-time draft picks get to stand before the cameras holding up their numbers. Undrafted free agents take what they’re given.

“That automatically told me where I stood from day one: looking like an offensive lineman,” Robinson said. “Every day I look at it, I know where I came from.

“I’m just thankful for a jersey. You can give me No. 1. You can give me double zero. I’m just thankful to get a jersey. Any jersey.”

How can you not root for this guy?
(Click on the link for the rest of the article)

Love this guy....Travis needs to learn heart from him.

:fans:

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
I love it.

You want it come take it and pack a lunch because it is going to take you all day.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Tell me this guy doesn't make you want to go out and get a 66 custom jersey made.

I'm thinking that if he has another year like he did last season I'm going for it.

I got a chance to talk with DelJuan at All Access and he was a great guy, basically said he just plays hard at all times and shook my hand and took some time to talk with my 6 year old boy. I'd take him over TJ all day.

False Start

On # 69
That's what I'm talking about! I love to hear things like this about a player. I hope he can continue to improve and make the squad full-time. Players like this guy make you wanna cheer for him. Go 66!

P

Polo

I just want the best guys on the field...Don't care where they come from...

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Add me to the growing list of DelJuans fans. I think it would be great if he opened up the season vs the Jets as one of our startings DTs. Can you just imagine how pumped he'd be for that game ? And if he did get the start, you know he earned it because nobodys ever given him anything in his NFL career.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
I just want the best guys on the field...Don't care where they come from...
I want guys that go all out and give it everything they have every time they are out there. Right now, that is what DelJuan is.

Oh and get away from my cheerios. :foottap::bat:

Texan JBZ

Da Sip's Finest
As always, you can't go wrong with a football player from the football mecca that is Mississippi. Glover Quin and Deljuan Robinson are just the latest examples. We produce only the finest!

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Good story from a guy who has made big strides since arriving here. I'm really interested to see how he does this year, last year when he was on the field he seemd to havea bigger impact sometimes then the guys drafted in teh first round. I think he'll have a big say in how effective the DT rotation is this year. IF nothing else he's going to be pushing some guys for playing time.

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
I love it when DelJuan and Bulman are in the lineup.

Just imagine those 2 along w/ Cushing, Barwin, and Mario at the same time (if it ever happens).....

:eek: :wild:

:texflag:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Robinson played really well last year and in spurts really chained together some nice drive stopping plays. It may be a break out year for him.

Good story from a guy who has made big strides since arriving here. I'm really interested to see how he does this year, last year when he was on the field he seemd to havea bigger impact sometimes then the guys drafted in teh first round. I think he'll have a big say in how effective the DT rotation is this year. IF nothing else he's going to be pushing some guys for playing time.
Completely agree with this post. I don't know if there has been a better game by one of our DTs since we became a 4-3 squad than the game he had against Tennessee last year. I'm definitely rooting for him to start but if he doesn't he needs to be getting a lot of snaps.

Mari-OWNED!

Bucco Bruce
I've been a fan of DelJuan for a while now. I even had a question answered by Frank Bush basically saying that I'd like to see him have more playing time.

As cliche as it sounds, DelJuan legitimately is playing with a chip on his shoulder, and from what I've seen when he is on the field he plays hard, and non-stop.

I really wish the best for him, and I hope to see him have a lot more playing time this coming season.

TEXANS84

Staff member
97.5 was pimping him Sunday morning when I was driving to breakfast saying "he looks like the best defensive tackle, hands down this OTA period".

RipTraxx

Free Agent
i always thought it should be him and okoye in the middle....for as sparingly as he played, he seemed to either have a pressure, sack, or a tfl in each of them.

:d:

TexansMVP

Probowler
Great story. What's even more surprising is that someone from the Chronicle wrote a nice article like this. I've gotten kind of use to them just regurgitation the press conferences a day after HT.com has released them to the public.

Hope 66 keeps pushing the team.