Chron:Texans' climb has a number of rungs to go

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5405712.html

2. benefactor

benefactor Guest

I think the defense will get it together as they continue to play together. Okoye and Mario will continue to progress and hopefully Travis Johnson will get his head screwed on straight. My biggest defensive concern is Dunta. Will he be the same player after such a bad injury? Honestly, after all the adversity we have had to overcome this season I'm not going to hang my head with a 7-9 record...but I most definitely prefer 8-8.

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Meh!!! He stated the obvious.

We ALL know that this team has a long way to go. We ALL know that the Texans have only beaten one team with a winning record, but how about pointing to some of the positives from this season:
    a) Rick Smith with essentially one off-season and Kubiak in his second season have managed to turn-over about 75% of the roster from the C&C Factory. Rick Smith has done a terrific job finding guys off the street to plug in and be productive. I think Rick Smith will shine again, this off-season and with him as GM, the future looks bright.

b) Defensively, there have been struggles. But with a core of really young players (DeMeco, Mario and Amobi) the future looks bright with some tweaking at OLB and DB's.

c) Special Teams, have played pretty well this season. From Kris Brown to Andre Davis. I still think Jacoby Jones will be something special returning punts.

d) Two seasons ago, pre-Kubiak, this team was 2-14...... 2-14 period.

4. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

i agree with a, b, and c, but I have a problem with d. we are 2 years removed from 2-14 and we can't let that lowest of low somehow be a built in excuse for Kubes. He needs to get some better assistants in here and he needs to get a DC that already has a pair hanging. Smith has been woefully lacking in the 'sack' department. He has made the offense go from a total embarassment to at least playing like a professional football team. Most of that was getting rid of Mr.Mittens but I think Kubiak has helped in that regard as well. Not all bad from Kubes but he gets next year to turn this around or its unemployment line time.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

That's pretty punny!!! But I hear you about some of the assistant and especially Richard Smith.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

And three seasons ago they were 7-9 exclamation point!

I thought it was fair article.

7. headsplint

headsplint All Pro

My thoughts exactly. Go Chronicle for enlightening us.:hmmm: