Chron : Carr still in Texans 07 plans .... sort of

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by U4ikrob, Feb 23, 2007.

1. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4575330.html

More fuel for the fire. Its clear that the Texans brass are shopping DC, but only for the right price it seems. If nothing else it sounds like they realize the value in hand, but on the other hand it sounds like they are also actively seeking a deal too. :stirpot:

2. ROCKY

ROCKY Rookie

I know alot of people are all about "get rid of DC for whatever price". But I am glad that Rick is being smart about it. The QB position is a problem, no doubt, but it's not our biggest problem. David has proven that he can at least manage a game, and with an improved defense & OL, I think we will win regardless.

Our FA money is better spent on UPGRADING the team. Plummer is a sideways move. Use that money on the run game, OL, and D.

Do that and we'll win baby!!!

:fans:

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I do not belive a word he is saying in this article. This sounds more like a HS football coach than a NFL one. Carr is a five year pro and Kubiak has 52 other players to coach, many who contributed a lot more to our incremental gains in the win column last year while making less money.

Vinny likes this.
  4. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

People in SD were ready to run Drew Brees out of town before he "figured it out". I for one hope that if Carr is still here, we see a similar situation.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Not even close to similar situations from a production and contract standpoint.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235197

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

What he says is true. Most of the talent around the league is largely a push. The difference in a team that can compete at a .500 or better level is the team that has a QB that can make a play on 3rd down so that they can keep all their efforts alive. The difference between Carr the losing QB and Carr the franchise QB is his ability to make plays, not his ability to be a shrinking violet when the pressure is on. Everyone knows he can hit the 3 yard laser strike but he doesn't have an intermediate passing game so on 3rd and any distance at all teams just shut us down...trot out Stanley.

7. Vinny

I hit enter too soon...

anyway, finishing my thought is simple. I don't think they give Carr away for wood and rocks. I think Kubiak honestly thinks he can play and will be able to convert those passes I say he can't make, so I believe him and think he is being honest about this.

8. Vinny

My coffee was too strong this morning....too much early coffee

9. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

carr seems healthy to me, prolly alot shell shocked. brees had the major shoulder surgery and was unrestricted--plus they had philip rivers in stead. i think both SD and NOS came out roses on that deal.

10. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

so what trumps what situation--the FO's ability to get fair value, or Kubiak's ability to rehab Carr's game?

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That is the question.

12. qtab

qtab Rookie

This is just posturing in the media, IMHO...Rick trying to get the best return that he can for David, he's not going to come out and say that "Carr is gone, regardless of what we're offered".

I also don't think they can bring Carr back...after actively shopping him they're essentially saying that they don't believe he will lead this team to the playoffs. I don't think they can pretend like this didn't happen and pretend like they still have confidence in him come September.

You can do that with other players, I just don't think you can do that to the QB who is supposed to be your leader.

13. Vinny

I don't think we are in a panic to move him but I'd bet the offers for Carr were light early on since the open speculation is that we are moving him. Everyone rushes to see if they can get something for nothing and most of them found out that Casserly doesn't live here anymore. Also, I'm sure Kubiak wants to be able to tell Bob he got David where he told him he could get him when he took the job....so there is some of that mixed into this imo.

14. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

IMO, the seriouse offers will come in about draft time. Until then, we are getting enquires from teams that are looking to get a steal if we are willing to toss Carr out for little or nothing. Rick is setting the market and Kubes is saying we are willing and perhaps expecting to go into the season with Carr at the controlls. However, if you make an good offer we are willing to listen. These guys are all about making the club better, no matter what position or where. I suspect that they don't see Carr as the "Most need" postition, but a need position none the less, and if they can get value AND have a means of improving the team, they will pull the trigger.

15. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

If the Texans believe there is not a better solution to DC, Carr will be back regardless. I think it boils down if one more year in offense under Kubes will put DC where he can be productive.

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans can't go that long before they settle the QB situation. They either bring in Plummer and deal Carr in the next couple of weeks. Or stick with David, let Sage compete for the starting job in camp, and draft another QB at some point.

I don't really don't know what to think about Smith & Kubiak's recent statements. To me, they're being coy about Carr's future here in an attempt to drive up his trade value. That's not going to work. Carr's value is what it is. Frankly, I think David had more value after the '05 debacle of the season. At least then, teams could point to Carr's horrible offensive system and o-line as excuses. Now, these same teams saw David regress as the season went on while working with a top QB coach in Kubiak. As Carr regressed, so did his trade value. Unless Casserly gets a GM job soon, their will be no draft pick bonanza for David Carr.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The smart thing, would be to wait it out. It's not a big deal to us if Jake comes to play for Houston or not. I think it means more to Jake. I think it's more important to Denver to move up in this draft to get a stud DT/DE, than it is for us to not use that pick on Levi or Landry.

Jake can refuse to go to Oakland(which I think he will, just to play with Kubiak), and force Denver to sweeten the pot, if they want our #8 pick.

We can wait till June 1st, when Denver will have to cut Jake, because of the money(unless Jake is willing to take a back-up's pay), we can get Jake & Keep our #8. So I think Denver will be more itchy to get something done.

one caveat.... if we don't take the rumored trade firsts+Plummer+Bell+Denver's 3rd... I think Minnesota would. They'll start Jake until TJ is ready, they'll split carries with Taylor & Bell, then they'll move up with Denver's first & third, to get Gin/Garrett at 18 or something.
    This years free agent QB class is pretty weak... Garcia is the prize....... we could probably still get a third, especially if Jake is thought to be off the market.

18. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

Who-besides David-has started since day one? Upgrade...but leave the QB alone and we'll win?

The Texans are on record as the losingest expansion team after 5 years, worse than even the Bucs and Saints--remember them and thought they were bad! We're worse...and you want to stick with David? OK.

19. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Why I disagree with you here is one reason. Come DURING the draft, if the QB's start getting picked up quickly (in other words, if 3-4 QB's or more (I dont see more) go in the first round) imo, then some teams will be scrambling for them. This is where quick thought deals of teams that need a backup or starter can really bump a Carr's stock to maybe a second or a very high 3rd. Of course, this could backfire if QB's are not in high demand but I believe they (the texans) are of the mind right now that Carr is on a teater board and he could go either way and the Texans would be fine with it.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

David has definitely been part of the problem, but I don't think making a bad deal to get rid of him is going to help us. We still need to solve a lot of other problems, but not necessarily before or after that. Anything we do that even partially and temporarily solves the problem at QB could cost us the chance to draft:

CB
    S
    OLT
    C
    OLB
    G
    or MAYBE even Adrianne P.

I don't think that letting David stay for one more year is such a bad thing in the long run--and it wouldn't kill us to even let him finish his contract, if it means getting everything else in place to be ready for his eventual replacement.

I still think Carr can outplay what will probably be offered for him, but I sure wouldn't give him any more contracts (understatement of the year).

I can't get into the details of what trade is really worth it or not. I just don't follow other teams that much.