Chris Williams

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kastofsna, Feb 21, 2008.

1. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

per draft daddy

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

congrats on first serious rumor.....Miami, Oakland & Atlanta not targeting Jake Long :hmmm: I'm thinking now which one would I prefer to trade down with :thinking:

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Atlanta's twos?

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think it is extremely unlikely that the Falcons attempt to trade up with their two 2nd round draft choices. Let me explain:

One, the Falcons are a terrible team. They aren't one player away from being good. They aren't even two players from being good. Terrible teams are more likely to amass draft picks, rather than trade them away.

Two, the Falcons just released several veterans. More could be cut loose. These players will need to be replaced, and the easiest method of re-stocking is through the draft. They need as many draft choices as they can get.

Three, the Falcons recently hired Tom Dimitroff as their GM. Dimitroff has schooled under Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli for the past 6 years as the Patriots director of college scouting. And the Patriots are known for trading back and acquiring additional picks. Not moving up by packaging picks. I expect Dimitroff will have a similar philosophy in Atlanta.

P.S. FWIW, I expect Williams to go to either Denver, Chicago, or Detroit in the 1st round. Before the Texans get a chance to draft or trade away his rights.

5. beerlover

good stuff Lucky, I agree so its between Miami & Oakland. of those two which would be the more likely?

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

Houston may not trade down, they might just take him there at 18.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I can make the same case for Miami that I did for the Falcons. They're certain to look for as many draft picks as possible. And I would never try to get into the mind of Al Davis. Too spooky. Besides, I don't think Chris Williams is available at #18.

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I agree that he's unlikely to be there at #18, but if he were, I would actually be disappointed if the Texans traded down and passed him up.

9. beerlover

settled I'll take spooky over tuna. actually he might be thinking he could get over on the Texans more easily since he did it once before in the Bucannon trade :brickwall:

scenero 1 - trade Nnamdi Asomugha (franchised) for Houstons #1 pick (#18).

scenero 2 - trade 2nd (34th-560) + next years 2nd (should be around same number, maybe some improvement on their part guesstimate (42nd-480) a chance your willing to take because there is some added value with the Texans 18th pick worth 900 points.

in reality this is why its so hard to do trades. I beleive they do the coin flip for picks tomorrow @ the combine this will deceide the order between Atlanta, Oakland & KC. Big Al might just go nuts if he loses the coin toss, missing on McFadden (won't be know for sure until draft day process begins) takes DT Sedric Ellis @ #5 then wants OT Chris Williams #18.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah, I agree on the twos staying in Atlanta. I just do not see a trade out there I want for #18. A 2nd in 08 & 09 may be reasonable with Oakland, I'm just not sold on it especially if Stewart is there. I really, really like his speed combined with 235 lbs; that is a freight train with speed + he has handled the load in college. I would take chance or getting a LT and CB in later rounds.

#18 for Asomugha? Hmm. Need to think on that. I would want to see if Trufant or R. Gay could be had in FA first I think. If I knew I could get Forte in third and maybe T. Hill in fourth? You just don't know. Or Stewart @ #18, in 3rd you get T. Hill (you know you have a LT that might be gone in 4th) & in 4th maybe Trae Wiilaims if CB not in FA. Then you have a possible franchise RB an LT that should do well in ZBS under Gibbs and maybe lightning in a bottle twice in 4th.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I want DRC, Williams, or McKelvin @18

12. beerlover

for the record I only want more draft picks not less :)

13. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well....everyone and I mean everyone is forcing a top fifteen tallent...Ryan into the top five... and say hotlanta does what I've been advocting since december...Takes McFaddin at the top instead of the 'top fifteen most ready in the class' QB; At eighteen they get their choice of the rest of the QBs or playmakers...or the o-lineman or the Dt from north carolina....or one of the CB/Dbs...presto change oh... two starters. There's scenario #1 lucky. I mean isn't that what San Deigo did a few drafts ago ? Took Ladanian and then Breese ?
    Everyone has kinda forgot about/soured on Brohm.

14. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

No wonder the Texans are looking at Williams...he's a big, athletic tackle. I really, really hope they give this athlete some serious consideration because he has all the tools to be a solid LT in the NFL. And, he's quick enough to play in the zone blocking scheme. Any multi-All SEC tackle is worth taking a hard look at.

IMHO, he's gong to be available when we pick at #18. Barring a spectacular/epic showing at the Combine, Jake Long and Ryan Clady will go ahead of him. That's really a no-brainer. However, this should be the year the Texans breakdown and draft an OT in the first round in order to keep Matt Schaub upright for a long time. More importantly, give Schaub more time in the pocket to operate. We have to upgrade if we're going to have a chance against the Colts, Titans and Jags d-line.

15. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well pardon me if I don't start dancing yet...what McClain was hinting at yesterday...and I'm assuming someone has actually told him this and he is not guessing like the rest of us...If Stewart is there they will take the guy..

And from my tree, that will be the point in time you can start marking the begining of the end of Kubes Texan's most excellent adventure. Anything after the first two rounds at OLT is not just wild blind haug luck if they hit, it'll be a miracle. Basically they'll be paying some slob for two years to prove he isn't tallented enough to hold the edge on the left. Seth Wand II.

16. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I'm actually afraid that Chicago, with their old tackles, will take Williams ahead of us at 14. Or if we traded down past Seattle, the Seahawks will consider taking him since they haven't found a suitable replacement since Hutchinson left. The guy's got talent, and other teams are starting to take notice that he won't be available in Rd. 2.

17. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

18. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

With Bernard Berrian and Muhammed hitting FA at least for right now. It's very possible they might go WR with their first pick. I mean who do they have that's a vertical threat? Their QB position is dicey too. They say they're committed with Grossman...but IMO only cause they have so much invested. Common sense to me says Grossman's run should be over. While the defense there needs to get healthy the offense needs an Overhaul.

With Wharton signed and Gross tagged I'n wondering where Carolina stands on what to do. I thought I saw Keyshawn exploring a return. Would the panthers still hold his rights? Delhomme's future is uncertain as well.

If we want a LT one will be there at 18 that fits our needs and wouldn't be a stretch.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

How do you evaluate Texas LT Tony Hills in ZBS?
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=8769

More info on Williams
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=25827

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor