Chris Taylor

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by joetexan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. joetexan

joetexan Rookie

Can you guys who have been talking about RB Chris Taylor fill us in about him? I know he's undrafted. That's...about...it.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

To me...it is very hard to make any judgments on backs until there is full contact...but he looks like he has enough speed to get to the edge, but I think he is battling for the 3rd rb spot. I think Morency will take solid command of rb2 before the preseason is over.

3. joetexan

joetexan Rookie

I've seen at least one avatar that has a photo of him and says, "Chris Taylor is a Beast." Anybody have any background on him i.e. college, stats, etc.?

4. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think Smith will take the #2 spot. He is more experienced and has alot to teach, usually if you want a guy to teach your young running backs you would want to have the guy play enough to prove himself. But now that I think about it, I dont really think there are set depth charts in this offensive system. I'd bet that Morency and Smith would have the same amount of carries this season, but injuries that may occur/persist bring a whole new factor into it.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

TexansSeminole likes this.
  6. TexansSeminole

Nice thanks, I was JUST about to look them up.

Edit: the one thing I notice about these stats are there aren't any real long touchdowns. That may mean that he does not have that break away speed come game time. There are alot of things that it could mean though, it could have been the system, etc.

7. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Well what I know about him is that..

He played in a spread offense and he also shared carries with somebody else cant remember the guys name of the top of my head.

8. Vinny

I think that Smith will be our goal line/short yardage back (unless we bring someone else in)....I don't see him as a primary back since I'm still very high on Vernand...jmo.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Does this mean Vinny, that you don't believe A. Smith will be making the squad?

I for one believe that this year will have Chris Taylor battling for the 4th RB spot for this season only. I think a year in the NFL will do him some good. I'm not sure what kind of ST player A. Smith is but I am sure he can contribute there, making him a little more valuable.

10. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

read the post directly above yours. :D

11. TransplantTexan1

TransplantTexan1 Rookie

Yeah, I'm also still optimistic about Morency. I'm looking for him to be the #2 back this year behind DD. He has the ability to be a very productive back in the NFL and you'd think that if things work out as planned, he'd get a good number of carries.

12. TexansSeminole

Ya, hes not a primary back, but a relief kind of guy. I think it depends on the situation, you know. If we are up by 10 points in the beginning of the fourth quarter who do you rotate with DD, Smith or Morency. I'd rather have Smith in that situation because he'd be fresher and could tire the defense more.

If DD couldn't start a game I would expect Morency to come in rather than Smith.

13. Vinny

I typed in 3rd back...but I meant last rb on the roster....but yeah...I can see a scenario where Smith doesn't make the team....Taylor as well.

14. fan no matter what

fan no matter what Rookie

do you guys think wali lundy will be in the mix?

15. ocd

ocd Rookie

Vinny's right...you can't accurately judge a RB until the pads are on.

Things that will push a RB down the depth chart on this offense will be:

1. the obvious...not holding onto the football.

2. Dancing. Make your cut and go.

3. Not picking up your block consistently

Morency will have trouble just like Tatum Bell's having trouble in Denver. If he starts, because of injuries, he won't start long. Must be an OSU thing.

If Taylor and Lundy can hold onto the ball, they've got a legit chance of being the future.

I know, Domanick Davis. This injury thing could be worse, and take longer to heal, than many think. I just hope this doesn't go like it did with Terrell Davis.

16. fan no matter what

taylors stats from college reflect that he never fumbled the ball not even once

:redtowel:

17. fan no matter what

18. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

FWIW I don't have any real strong feelings yet, but Taylor looks promising IMO. He is 220 lbs and quite fast, I would guess that Morency is the only back we have that is faster vertically. Taylor's best attributes are his size, his substantial open field speed, and the fact that he is very much a one-cut-and-go kind of back. He has made some rookie mistakes but I think he has a good chance of making the squad, behind Davis, Morency, and Smith. If Davis is questionable due to injury, this means that you will see Taylor in limited reps in live games, though Morency has looked better to date and I probably echo Vinny's sentiment in stating that he is probable to gain serious time this year, especially if Davis is out with injury.

I think Antowain will be primarily a short yardage back. He is slow as hell but very powerful and what you would expect from a veteran runner. He takes the hole and drives through.

I haven't particularly watched for Lundy at this point. He hasn't done anything that has particularly caught my eye, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. If I had to guess, I'd say he and Rhodes miss the cut at RB, as of now.

Our run blocking has to this point been spotty but they created a number of really nice runs during 11 on 11s.

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Just on my own observations of Morency at OSU and in limited time in Texan's games I feel that if VM can slow down his reads and feet and allow the blocks to take place he will have a terrific year. It is a big IF, but one that would be worth holding my virtual breath for.

20. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

who is out fastest back?