Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chris Palmer and Billy Miller on 790am in the 8 o'clock hour

ocd

Noob
atxcoolguy said:
"given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize ." Classic Ibar Hating

Capers knows what he's doing.

So what's your point Ibar?

Sounds to me like you just don't like Ibar

The Boselli, Hollings, and Joppru injuries slowed down our progress, but it'll work out soon.

This truly is the best part of your post. My question is WHEN will it workout? We've done nothing about finding a replacement for Boselli. You get your linemen from the draft and every rookie coach in the NFL knows that. Our first year we took Pitts and Weary, both projects and guards at that. Next is Wand. Unless he either becomes a technician or an angry white male, look for high sack numbers again. Then we take Hodgdon for center. Pitts and Hodgdon will work out for us. But that's it. We haven't even added any level of depth that our beloved 1994 Oliers would've been proud of.

Joppru...tight end...whatever. Billy Miller and the Lakers rule!

And Hollings. He's been replaced because he will get hurt before the first game and then Davis and Morency will never look back so you got one.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
ocd said:
Pitts and Hodgdon will work out for us. But that's it.
Pretty good prognostication skills there--Wand will never work out anywhere on the OL (I'm betting you are wrong here) and Hodgdon is a success (hopefully you are right on this one) before we get to see him make one snap in training camp much less a real game.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
This year's draft is a classic demonstartion of the points I have been trying to make about AJ and Carr. I'm going to begin by talking about the number 1 draft pick of the Texans. People were howling, because we did not take the gentleman from Texas. We didn't take him, because he did not fit into the scheme that Capers is employing and he knew that the gentleman's talents would be a waste in our system. I can not disagree with that and I think they made a very good choice based on what they are planning to do with the defense. Again, no problem it makes perfect sense.

Now, lets contrast that with the drafting of David. Is David a skilled player and was he one of the best out there at the time. Yes, but the question is and was he the player who would best fit into our offensive scheme and I think the answer is no. Now, why do I say that. Because David is known as a passer and never has been know for skillfully handing off the ball. He's known for his laser like passes and the ability to throw it far and deep. Capers on the other hand is really wanting to run the football. Except for Mr. B the O-linemen they have picked up have been known for their run blocking ability and not pass blocking skills. That includes Wiegert and Wade. Bruener is known for his run blocking ability and not his receiving ability. Now most of us would say if BJ had not been a hospital case we might be saying something very different about the TE position even though they often commented on his ability to block. Even when they look at AJ they are thinking about his blocking ability. He is unusually strong for a WR and they often comment about how well he blocks for the run.

AJ is a massive talent, but are we really doing any thing with his talents to spring the man open. I think the answer is no. The one game he went wild in was a fluke in that they let David and AJ play and the line was able to give David the protection and time to find AJ. The Vikings defense was not known for its strength and it almost cost them the game. It did give us a glimpse of what might happen if David is protected and has time to find AJ or the other Texan's receivers.

Both AJ and Carr represent substanital monetary investments by the ball club, but it looks like the Texans are drastically under utilizing those assets. If you honestly look at this from an investment prospective, you really have to ask what is going on. You could have a much stronger defense if you hadn't spent so much on Carr and AJ. Again, I firmly believe we are not even close to utilizing the talents of Carr and AJ, or for that matter, any other receiver on the Texans ball club. What is the proof, the O-line.

Again I will state as I have before that the injuries in year 2 set this ball club back big time and I believe Capers felt that rebuilding the defense was his number 1 priority. We did not have enough draft picks to do both. Therefore, the defense comes 1st and that's what you are seeing.

My one hope is that players like Wand and some of the other young FA's and NFLE players produce a couple of unexpected surprises and our O-line suddently blossoms because of it. It truely would be a miracle and I think we would all be happy campers. I predicate what I say on the belief that the O-line is still the one piece of the puzzle preventing the Texans from going to a higher level. Again I will say that Casserly believes in drafting the best Athlete and that doesn't work with Capers as the head coach, because he does not seem to relate to the offensive side of the ball and does not have a strong enough assistant coach to stand up and say what's wrong.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Ridiculous. As I posted yesterday, lots of successful coaches with a run-dominated offensive philosophy have drafted and utilized top tier QBs. You don't need to throw the ball 40 times in order to get value at the Qb position:

Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Steve McNair
Ben Rothlisberger... are a few examples of high first round picks that were selected by teams with head coaches who believe in pounding the rock. Each of them were successful in that framework and led their team to very successful seasons.

Also, the truth is that statistically we are not a run dominated team. Our run to pass ratio is in the middle of the NFL. Thank god we don't have Mike Martz coaching this team but someone that understands the value of the running game.

Finally, the assumption that DJ wasn't drafted because he doesn't fit into our system is unfounded. By the way, 14 other teams passed him up as well... Including KC (editting- it was Carolina not KC who took him), who runs a 4-3, was in desperate need of a LB, and then drafted a SS that they plan to convert to LB while leaving DJ on the board. So obviously there were concerns about DJ outside of his ability to play in a 3-4.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
KC took DJ, but both Carolina and NO passed on him. Carolina took Thomas Davis the SS that they may use some at LB. I'm sure thats who you meant.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
texasguy346 said:
KC took DJ, but both Carolina and NO passed on him. Carolina took Thomas Davis the SS that they may use some at LB. I'm sure thats who you meant.

yeah, I'm sorry. The point is still valid, though. Even more so, since one should respect the opinion of Fox and staff in terms of identifying defensive talent.

Thomas Davis was actually introduced as a LB when he was chosen... I think it's pretty clear they plan to put him there.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
Vinny posted an article in a different thread about Fox and the Panther's thinking about using TD as a SS during 1st and 2nd down, and then having him play as a LB on 3rd down in passing situations. He's got a chance to play either position, but he might end up being the best option they have at OLB. If he does end up as an OLB then the Panthers will have one very fast set of LBs.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
If Mark Fields Hodgkin's disease recurrence will put him on the sideline this season, Davis will start for him. That is looking likely.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
dalemurphy said:
Ridiculous. As I posted yesterday, lots of successful coaches with a run-dominated offensive philosophy have drafted and utilized top tier QBs. You don't need to throw the ball 40 times in order to get value at the Qb position:

Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Steve McNair
Ben Rothlisberger... are a few examples of high first round picks that were selected by teams with head coaches who believe in pounding the rock. Each of them were successful in that framework and led their team to very successful seasons.

Also, the truth is that statistically we are not a run dominated team. Our run to pass ratio is in the middle of the NFL. Thank god we don't have Mike Martz coaching this team but someone that understands the value of the running game.

Finally, the assumption that DJ wasn't drafted because he doesn't fit into our system is unfounded. By the way, 14 other teams passed him up as well... Including KC (editting- it was Carolina not KC who took him), who runs a 4-3, was in desperate need of a LB, and then drafted a SS that they plan to convert to LB while leaving DJ on the board. So obviously there were concerns about DJ outside of his ability to play in a 3-4.
On paper the balance of passing to rushing might be close, but when you consider that 86 of the 286 passes completed by the Texans last year were thrown to the backs, I think you have to back off on balance. I'm sorry, but we are primarily a run dominated offense and if Capers had his way it would be even more so, but the health of his running backs prevented it from being even more one sided.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Ibar_Harry said:
On paper the balance of passing to rushing might be close, but when you consider that 86 of the 286 passes completed by the Texans last year were thrown to the backs, I think you have to back off on balance. I'm sorry, but we are primarily a run dominated offense and if Capers had his way it would be even more so, but the health of his running backs prevented it from being even more one sided.

86 completions is not a high number for the RB position, especially when you look at the weakness of our TE position...Take a look at how many receptions SF Rbs had during their years of dominance. How many receptions did Philadelphia Rbs have the last 4 seasons? The Cowboys of the early 90s ran the ball at greater frequency and threw to their backs at a greater frequency. Certainly it could be a problem but not when the YPC is around 8 or 9.

I don't recall seeing the team's philosophy on offense change when Davis was injured. I think Wells had 30 carries in his one full start against the Raiders. You offer nothing to support any of your theories, IBAR.

Here, however, is some facts that totally debunk your criticisms:

1992 Dallas Cowboys (13-3) 97 of 314 completions went to RBs for only 600yds

1993 Dallas Cowboys (12-4) 126 of 316 completions to RBs for 860yds
**Emmitt was 2nd on team with 57
**Moose was 3rd on team with 50

1984 SF 49ers (15-1) 144 of 312 completions went to RBs
**Roger Craig was 1st on team with 71
**Earl Cooper was 3rd on team with 41

These are three of the best teams in NFL history and they threw to their backs at a much greater frequency than we do. I think it's safe to say that throwing passes to DDavis for 9 yards a pop isn't going to prevent this team from winning games.

disaacks3

Staff member
dalemurphy said:
These are three of the best teams in NFL history and they threw to their backs at a much greater frequency than we do. I think it's safe to say that throwing passes to DDavis for 9 yards a pop isn't going to prevent this team from winning games.
That's IF we ever average 9 yds. a pop on our last-option outlet pass because Carr's protection has collapsed. You got a breakdown of how many sacks those teams allowed, the YPA, YPC, etc. for a more apples-to-apples comparison of the passing game?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective passing game, no matter whether it's to the RB or not. I just can't fathom that the "fix" is to make DC get rid of it quicker, and take away any hope of a deep route. You can't effectively "spread" the defense if you don't have any time in the pocket. You also negate the advantage that receivers like Bradford (& now Mathis) give you downfield.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
disaacks3 said:
That's IF we ever average 9 yds. a pop on our last-option outlet pass because Carr's protection has collapsed. You got a breakdown of how many sacks those teams allowed, the YPA, YPC, etc. for a more apples-to-apples comparison of the passing game?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective passing game, no matter whether it's to the RB or not.

Dominick Davis 68 receptions, 588 yards, 8.6 YPC

Emmitt Smith 1993 57 receptions, 414 yards, 7.3 YPC

Emmitt Smith 1992 59 receptions, 335 yards, 5.7 YPC

Roger Craig 1984 71 receptions, 675 yards, 9.5 YPC

D. Johnston 1993 50 reception, 372 yards, 7.4 YPC