Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chow out in Tackville..

dtran04

Veteran
It sounded like Fisher simply didn't like Chow. Bud probably wasn't too happy that Chow made negative comments about VY either.

toronto

Hall of Fame
Henry was a mistake because Chow wanted a kagillion short passes as his passing game foundation. His offense worked great in College but may not work so well in the NFL where you have better tacklers on the edges and in the secondary. Henry was supposed to be a guy who caught a lot of short passes in space.
Henry was a mistake in the same way that Mike Mamula was a mistake. He had a killer workout. The Titans saw his speed and fell in love, but simply forgot that he has NEVER, not even in high school, been able to carry the load for his team, plus has had major character issues. It was an incredibly dumb pick when the team had significant needs at WR and OG. They got really lucky that their offensive line stayed healthy for the most part all season, otherwise that oversight would have bitten them hard in the ass.
Even though he was a major disappointment and was called out publicly by Steve Smith, I was stunned that the Titans passed on Dwayne Jarrett in the 2nd round when it became clear they had a shot at him. Henry was a monster reach and a complete waste of a pick. He'll be cut by next year IMO.

Blazing Arrow

Work'n da grill
Fisher balls likes to use TEs which chows play calling was not utilizing. Some of the play calling was down right odd though too. I recall in the Jags game we were on there goal line and Chow ran this play to try and stretch LW to the outside. It really made no sense because we were making good gains up the middle at the time. It should have been a simple power run up the middle for a 1 yard TD but instead turned into a short loss and a FG.

I think part of Chow's issue was his plays lacked imagination. I think almost any Titans fan could have called the bland O that was being run.

Run up the middle, run off tackle or screen pass to a WR, then if it is short run up the middle again if long move to shotgun and try something down the field against 6 DBs. The play "book" was more of a short pamphlet, IMO.

It should be noted that we will most likely end up losing our DC pretty quickly here.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
There is almost no chance that the Titans go after Turner, if Turner is demanding 15M+ as a signing bonus...
The Titans actually attempted to trade for Turner before the '07 draft, but the Chargers price (1st & 3rd) was too steep. I don't think the Titans are in cap trouble, so I don't see the issue with signing Turner.

Blazing Arrow

Work'n da grill
The Titans actually attempted to trade for Turner before the '07 draft, but the Chargers price (1st & 3rd) was too steep. I don't think the Titans are in cap trouble, so I don't see the issue with signing Turner.
Henry was a sencond round draft pick and so was White. If you now bring Turner in a a decent contract you have way to much cap wieght sitting in the RB spot. Plus Turner will probably want to go somewhere he will be the primary back, in Tenn. I think he would split carries with White. Fisher likes the heavy pounding back which Turner is not.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Henry was a sencond round draft pick and so was White. If you now bring Turner in a a decent contract you have way to much cap wieght sitting in the RB spot. Plus Turner will probably want to go somewhere he will be the primary back, in Tenn. I think he would split carries with White. Fisher likes the heavy pounding back which Turner is not.
Turner is not a little man.

He weighs at least 235 and he isn't just an outside runner.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
I just do not see them going after Turner, with the way Lenwhale played this year. They have more pressing needs in signing their own FA ......

DT Albert Haynesworth
TE Bo Scaife
TE Ben Troupe
PK Rob Bironas
DE Travis LaBoy
DE Antwan Odom
WR Justin Gage

RB is not a need WR is as well as return game.

toronto

Hall of Fame
I just do not see them going after Turner, with the way Lenwhale played this year. They have more pressing needs in signing their own FA ......

DT Albert Haynesworth
TE Bo Scaife
TE Ben Troupe
PK Rob Bironas
DE Travis LaBoy
DE Antwan Odom
WR Justin Gage

I made a similar post stating that somewhere here.....

I suspect the only cap money they will allocate towards UFA or RFA is for a WR/TE plus some OL depth, especially if Olsen retires. They also have to give raises to T David Stewart and G Eugene Amano, both of whom showed they are valuable.

Blazing Arrow

Work'n da grill
Turner is not a little man.

He weighs at least 235 and he isn't just an outside runner.
The Titans need a change of pace back. I doubt Brown will return but I just can not see us paying that much at the RB level. Plus we need to spend our money on WRs and TEs. With Pac most likely not returning and Harper starting to age I would not be suprised to see another CB come in or drafted and some help/depth to our D line.

Blazing Arrow

Work'n da grill

DT Albert Haynesworth
TE Bo Scaife
TE Ben Troupe
PK Rob Bironas
DE Travis LaBoy
DE Antwan Odom
WR Justin Gage

I see AH, Scaife, Bironas, LaBoy or Odom, and Gage returning.

After Troupe got hit in the face with a ball and a couple huge drops in the endzone I can not see him returning. LaBoy will probably lose out to Odom. Gage was decent and should be a solid #2 for us. But our money has to be at the WR spot this off season.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
should immediately find a job in college.
Why not Hotlanta ?

Well, my money says this was a Bud firing. Smells like it to me. Vincent digressed, you can't fire Vincent. I don't believe Jeff Fischer would knee jerk like this. Bud has made a habit of it for forty years.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Chow is the sacrificial lamb. His offense moved pretty well with Collins in there this year. Moreover, the WRs also looked miraculoulsy better when he was in.

I am a VY fan, but he needs to come to play next year or else he is positioning himself as a coach killer.
It has nothing to do with Vincent's motivation. He hit 29 of thirty one tragets against us in the last game. He made all of the correct reads. He is not, nor has he ever been an acurate passer.

And by acurate I'm posting that his throws are no where as presice as Tom Brady's or Payton Manning's. And his recivers blow instead of catch. They do not have one hands guy outdside of a TE on the roster. Not one.

I expect the Titans after they solve the Cb problem to draft them early and often this year. Vacuum cleaner hands. I don't believe Deshawn Jackson falls into that catigory. They are loaded with cap room. Wondering if the Wolf in New England is going to max out on Stallworth right now ?

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06
Why not Hotlanta ?

Well, my money says this was a Bud firing. Smells like it to me. Vincent digressed, you can't fire Vincent. I don't believe Jeff Fischer would knee jerk like this. Bud has made a habit of it for forty years.
Yep. If it quacks like a duck...

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Brando

Hall of Fame
The Titans hired Mike Heimerdinger as offensive coordinator today.

edit: now I see the thread about the hiring.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I see AH, Scaife, Bironas, LaBoy or Odom, and Gage returning.

After Troupe got hit in the face with a ball and a couple huge drops in the endzone I can not see him returning. LaBoy will probably lose out to Odom. Gage was decent and should be a solid #2 for us. But our money has to be at the WR spot this off season.
I think the real problem is that there just aren't too many great WR's that will be available in the offseason this year. You've got Randy Moss (Who probably won't be available, but I think Stallworth will be) and then a bunch of other guys. Maybe Bernard Berrian might help, but even then, that's depending on how much he wants.

I think in the draft, you've got maybe 1 or 2 really good receivers (I think you guys should draft Sweed, but who knows if you should try to get him with your 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick), and then some more "other guys".

I know you fans probably want a whole bevy of WR's to come to town during training camp, but I don't know if forcing the issue when the talent isn't available is the smartest thing.

As far as the firing and hiring of OC's, the bootlegs and rollouts will probably be nice for VY's development, but I think having to learn a new offense might hinder the development a little. I don't expect Vince to throw up AS many picks as he did this year, but I don't think his production will skyrocket either. One thing, with more rollouts and possibly more VY running attack, the possibility of an injured VY is not out of the question either. I'm not saying I want it to happen like that, because I don't, but I think the more you run your running QB, and the more confidence he gets running, the better a chance he stands of costing himself the rest of the season. Again, this is just pointless speculation, but it's my take.

I don't think Chow had any confidence in how he could use Young.The Pro game is too fast for Chow & he had no clue how to make adjustments after the opponents Defense had done so.

When Kerry Collins stood in for Young, Chow aired it out more & got the ball out quickly to protect the immobile Collins.We actually looked better with Chows offense with Collins under center but with either QB Chow was completely clueless & predictable when we got into the red zone.