Chow out in Tackville..

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by hookinreds, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Just heard it in the car on the way back from lunch and didn't see anything here. Wonder where he'll end up. Be interesting to find out who peed in who's cheerios.

2. BeerTastesLikeVictory

BeerTastesLikeVictory Custom Title

Trouble with the offense, get rid of the OC. They must have read the Texans operations manual years 03-05.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

should immediately find a job in college.

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I'm speculating here, but I wonder if Chow voiced his displeasure with vince..?? or if it was "Fisher Ball"???

5. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

That's my thoughts. Somebody wasn't playing nice in the sandbox.

UT is interviewing Major Applewhite for the open RB coaches spot, obviously would be groomed for the top spot in a couple years. Fisher interviews Greg Davis to see if he wants to come to Tackville and build an offense around VY, Major interviews for the RB coach opening but ends up with the OC spot.

6. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

Didn't he say that Vince needs to stop pouting on the sidelines when things go wrong? It was probably those comments, but probably Bud firing him because Vince wasn't doing well.

7. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Chow wanted Leinart and has been sore ever since.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I mentioned this to many of my friends but I thought Young's talents were being wasted in this Chow offense. I think Young needs to be in a more vertical offense without all the extended hand offs and a scheme that tends to keep 8 defenders in or close to the box. Young can hurt a team when you spread them out...Chows offensive scheme kept everyone in tight. I'm not shocked to see him go.

9. Texan_Bill

Yup!! Both of those are true!!!

Are you sure it's Chow as much as it is Fisher's offense?? Chow didn't seem to have a problem spreading the ball around at SC... And everyone knows that Coach Fisher has always had a conservative approach to offense - even since being here in Houston.

10. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

I believe USC did spread the ball around, but that's because they had a QB who could find the open man and hit them in stride. White and Bush both ran the ball a good amount of time, which opened the passing game, Leinart could hit the receivers in stride. I think was a clash of styles, and that Chow was not too pleased with having Young instead of Leinart.

11. Vinny

Fisher liked to pound the ball and take shots down the field when defenders creep in to stop the run. Chow likes to use tons of short passes and extended hand offs and doesn't really stretch the field much. I think that if Young was in Fishers scheme when Mike Heimerdinger was his OC he would have more success (I think Young has more upside than Steve McNair). I think this is a good move for the Titans and a bad move for us and the others in the AFC South

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Or was it because Chow couldn't utilize his entire playbook due to VY? At the time of the pick I was somewhat baffled they went with VY with Chow instead of Leinart. IMO, Adams forced the issue and the Chow hire was doomed.

Oh well, like kast said, he'll have no problem finding a job.:cool:

13. Vinny

Watch Leinart under pressure....he sucks. I didn't like Chow's scheme (after I saw many games) and I don't think that Young held him back. Chow was an unproven (in the NFL) coach...still is.

I must say I said good things about the Chow offense early on. I didn't like how it evolved into a pure dink and dunk offense over the long haul however.

14. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

hahahahhahahah Greg Davis as NFL OC....hahahahhahahaha...funniest post ever

oh man, that is rich. I get where you are coming from because in a world where Davis didn't suck it would be a possiblity, but Davis has no chance in hell at a NFL OC job. not a snowball's chance in hell. VY didn't do much in college until Davis got out of the way and let Vince be Vince. Fisher is a smart coach so it will never happen.

that being said, NOTHING would make me happier as a Horns fan than to see Greg Davis leave Austin. That guy is just off the charts terrible. Mack is too damn loyal to the guy. He needs to go.

I don't want Applewhite as OC either. He was another coaches son just like McCoy and hopefully we start to go away from that in Austin. Unathletic small town coaches son's have got us nowhere and nothing over the past few decades. Gardere could at least beat OU but that was about it. The only guys who have won squat were James Brown and Vince Young and they were athetic and NOT coaches sons. We need more guys like that and less 'Opies' like Major and Colt. Colts absolutely sucks with Greg Davis or without.

15. Texan_Bill

Thats 'cause his O-Line sucks......... D'oh, did I just say that!??!

:sarcasm:

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I wasn't really comparing the two. I was merely pointing out how odd I thought the pick was considering Chow was the OC at the time.

But, I can play too. Watch VY with a pulled quad...he sucks. :cool:

Vinny likes this.
  17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I don't know, can it be much worse than the 0-4 record the Texans have against VY/Chow Titans :shades:

18. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

I fully expect Cam Cameron to end up there. I suspect Fisher had a plan in place before he canned Chow...and Cameron fits the bill perfectly...good QB mentor based on his work with Brees and Rivers...plus wont step back into the HC picture for a few years after that awful year in Miami....

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

As a UT fan, I would love to hear this on the radio. Not gonna happen though.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Never, ever ask if something could be worse. We could be 0-10 against them in a matter of three seasons from now.

Obviously, I hope this is not the case, but our 2-10 record against the Titans is what it is.