Chiefs vs Texans - Preseason Game 1

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

more on the link
    http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/10/chiefs_vs_texans__preseason_game_1/

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I forgot about that.. that went from "oh no" to "Holly shi*t YEAH"

3. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

Met Priest Holmes through my cousin, b/c they were good friends in high school, he is a cool dude

4. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

iam pretty sure we are not going to show or unleash what our D can do maybe just give a little sample

other then that iam sure we will see who our #2 QB should be

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Interesting stuff. KC goes to a 3-4 and moves Derrick Johnson inside. Who here remembers all the "We can't take him because we run a 3-4" talk? If he does well in this then it's going to be one more reason why it's hard to look at Travis Johnson's fat worthless slug ass.

When I think about the first round draft picks of the C&C regime I can't help but throw up a little in my mouth.

David Carr
    Andre Johnson
    Dunta Robinson and Jason Babin
    Travis Johnson

Now Andre Johnson probably would have been Charles Roger if Detroit hadn't been managed by a drooling ***** named Matt Millen so we're just dumb-lucky that C&C lucked into going 1-4 on those. It could easily have been 0-5.

And yes, I'm lumping Dunta in on the "Well, that didn't go as planned" side of things. He's been here since 2004 and produced exactly one decent season, his first. Past that he's been a highly motivated and hard hitting but kind of ordinary CB.

6. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

we could have had both julius Peppers and Ben rothensbeger ............

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The reality is that the team has floundered, not because of 1st round decisions, but because of the fiasco that Casserly made out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds... along with FA.

Charles Hill
    Tony Hollings
    Vernon Morency
    Phillip Buchanon (traded for with a 2nd and a 3rd)
    Babin (traded away a 2nd, 3rd and 4th)
    Seth Wand
    Dave Ragone

uggh. I'm going to go vomit now!

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I wouldn't lump Dunta into that group....the guy is atleast a legit starter and it's not like he's a top 3 pick. If we would've just been able to get "legit starters" with all our picks, we would not have been as bad as we were.

David Carr
    Travis Johnson
    and
    Jason Babin aren't even starters. Dunta would actually start on alot of other teams in this league........when healthy.

9. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Please don't say that, I have nightmares of "vanilla" defenses in the preseason that lead to "vanilla" defenses in the regular season.

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Even with the P-Burnt screw-up, Casserly got us some good DBs led by Robinson & Glenn in the Xpansion Draft. And this whole thing with Robinson went south and has gotten semi-ugly only because of the devastaing injury he suffered in '07. I suspect everything would have been different and Robinson would remain one of the most popular players in town, signed a new contract by now, etc. if not for that very unfortuante injury.
    Then there's the Draft of '06 masterminded by Casserly which is without doubt head-and-shouders above any Draft anybody has had here to date. Casserly has left his mark here, some of it bad, but remember some of his smart moves - AJ, Robinson, Mario, DeMeco, OD, Aaron Glenn, Gary Walker, et al.

11. Fred

Fred All Pro

Would you guys stop it please? Now everyone on the board is puking.

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Which is why I always refer to the "C&C regime". For whatever reason the two of them together were a train wreck. I don't think Capers has the sand to be a head coach in the NFL and I personally don't think much of Casserly the GM but he admittedly had a moment here and there. Together though they were actually less than the sum of their parts.

What I really want to know though is will the Chiefs be sporting their Dallas Texans gear? I want to see the Texans play the Texans.

13. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

well DJ has shown to be a very ordinary 4-3 player.. which is what he wouldve been in in houston (after his rookie season)...

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'll take the ordinary LB over the "usually outplayed by street free-agent" DL every day.

15. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

would you take an ordinary LB over a below average DT & a good RT though?:)

that draft pretty much sucked for everybody anyway so its hardly a standout bad pick by us when you compare it to our other infamous picks

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

True but you've got to take into account that I've had four years to nurture my intense dislike for TJ so I'm going to hang on to that for as long as possible regardless of whether it makes sense or not. I understand that we got more than just TJ for trading down but it's depressing watching him get out-motored by damn near every free agent we bring in at his postion.

17. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Its funny how everyone references DJ when we talk about TJ but using hindsight we clearly screwed up by passing on Saints LT Jamaal Brown. Could've used the 3rd to take RT Erik Winston and wouldn't have needed Spencer.

But of course Ron Dayne would've probably ruined Brown's career as well so not so much would've really changed :(

Whoever said it earlier was spot on, its not the 1st round picks that were so devastating to our franchise in the early years. It was the fact that we were so terrible with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Particularly in the first two years when we were given 2 picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We should've been able to snare some really solid players but when we needed to draft solid starters in those rounds we just couldn't make it happen. Thankfully we've been making up for it though :)

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Travis Johnson "does what they tell him to do." At least that is the comment I got recently on another thread, when I posted about TJ. I am not sure what it is he does so well. Don't expect to see much from starters but I am focusing on new guys and back ups at this point anyway.

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1184396.html

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Can't wait for this, just can't wait. I know most of the game will be for 2nd string and wanna be's trying to catch on, but that's what makes pre-season games so much fun.

If they shorten the preseason, I hope they only do it by one game. They can then make it a 17 game schedule for the regular season, and give all the teams two byes. Makes it's a longer season, NFL makes more money, and we get to watch football over a longer period of time. I think the two byes a season would do all the teams a lot of good.

dalemurphy likes this.