Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chester cut (and re-signed) by Seahawks

drewmar74

disgruntled
Per PFT:

We mentioned two days ago that Pete Caroll was jacked and pumped about the expected return to practice of tackle Russell Okung and guard Chester Pitts.

Pitts is now an ex-Seahawk.

Jason La Canfora reports Pitts was cut on Thursday after his surgically repaired knee reportedly didn't respond as the team hoped. Seattle's offensive line has dealt with a number of injuries this year and continues to look for the right mix.

Link

Hate it for him. Guess the knee hasn't made it all the way back.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Probably why the Texans did not make him an offer...

beerlover

Hall of Fame
well the Texans did re-sign Ephraim Salaam. I think the right thing to do is bring him back @ some point & retire him as a Texan. :texan:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
It takes a while to recover from microfracture surgery......if you recover at all. But there is still a possibility that he returns later. He has not been given sufficient time to rehab to evaluate if the door is closed or not. In fact, coming back as quickly as he has could have set him back. Evidently, the Texans did not feel that he would be in play shape for this season, and the Seahawks miscalculated and couldn't wait any longer while holding out a roster spot.

Seahawks could no longer wait on Chester Pitts
by Brad Biggs
October 01, 02010

The Seattle Seahawks, who are ailing on the offensive line, could no longer wait for guard Chester Pitts to work his way back from microfracture surgery that he had nearly a year ago.

So the Seahawks released him and re-signed Mike Gibson as a reserve interior lineman.

The Seahawks have been juggling things up front for some time and really it’s just an extension of what the team went through last season. First-round draft pick Russell Okung has been out with a high-ankle sprain. The hope is he will play on Sunday. Meanwhile, right tackle Sean Locklear has a knee issue. They already lost guard Max Unger to injured reserve.

Pitts practiced on Wednesday, according to Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times, but when he couldn’t go Thursday, the decision was made to make a roster move.

“We're hoping Chester is going to get well," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. "He's just got to get over the hump. He's close, but he's not able to go yet. And so we need a spot, and so we had to create that.

“I'm hoping Chester understands what we're doing here," Carroll said. "We needed a roster spot, and he can't play."

The Seahawks could re-sign Pitts when he is in a better place physically.

mattieuk

All Pro
Man, I'd love to see the guy make a recovery and get playing some football again.

Hopefully its just a matter of getting out of the firing line, and slowly rehabing himself.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Man, I'd love to see the guy make a recovery and get playing some football again.

Hopefully its just a matter of getting out of the firing line, and slowly rehabing himself.
Certainly, this is what his focus should be on.

Let me explain why I believe Pitts as an offensive lineman probably did himself no real favors by an “early” return.

Microfracture surgery is pretty simple technically and is minimally invasive,

However, unlike most of the sports medicine type surgeries that are performed today, in which we try to accelerate or speed up the recovery process, with microfracture we need to move slowly - putting the "brakes" on the patient for the first few months. The new joint surface that is trying to re-grow is very fragile and needs to be treated with utmost care and respect if it is ever to transform to a full, solid, durable joint surface.

Athletes should not be permitted to run or do any higher impact activities for approximately four to six months. Return to sports is usually “technically allowed” at the six to nine month mark. However, the entire healing process, including "remodeling" of the joint surface (an ongoing process where better end tissue is made) can take two years. This affords the best and most durable results and the best chance to optimum recovery. You can see , though, why players can easily get impatient. Too early a return to football easily wears down the fragile immature new cartilage and can be filled with setbacks and ultimately to failure.

So, if a player undergoes microfracture surgery, and they want the best possible long-term result for your knee, then they must be a patient patient.

We live in a "quick fix" society, and not many of us want to be inconvenienced for a long time. This is one instance where the wait is usually well worth it, especially if you are relying on your knee to give you a second chance.

drewmar74

disgruntled
So, if a player undergoes microfracture surgery, and they want the best possible long-term result for your knee, then they must be a patient patient.

We live in a "quick fix" society, and not many of us want to be inconvenienced for a long time. This is one instance where the wait is usually well worth it, especially if you are relying on your knee to give you a second chance.
Chester may have rushed it.... what about Charles Spencer - same thing? Might've pushed to hard to get back on the field?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Chester may have rushed it.... what about Charles Spencer - same thing? Might've pushed to hard to get back on the field?
I believe the answer to both of these players could very well be "yes."

When you find that professional football players are making it back onto the field during the same time frame expected of Joe Schmo playing occasional weekend sports, you're forcing the issue and usually returning them to action before they reach their peak rehab. Like I mentioned above, recovery can be "optimized" but can usually not miraculously be shortcut. No matter what the level of effort, healing takes time and cannot be rushed without increasing the risk of "failure" to achieve your ultimate desired goals.