Checking in: the 2011 First-Rounders JJ WATT

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Oct 27, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Von Miller is Beasting full list of 1st rounders follow link
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/27/checking-in-the-2011-first-rounders/

11. J.J. Watt, DE, Houston Texans

Grade: +4.6 Snaps: 344

Possibly Interesting Stat: His 18 combined sacks, hits and hurries are the fifth-most of any 3-4 defensive end.

Observations: Watt and his high motor made an instant impact with a five-pressure game against the Colts, but he has struggled to replicate that performance. Interestingly, the Texans have cut down on his playing time after he played 85% of the Texans’ snaps in the opening three games (he’s down to 68.4% in the last three). The result seems to be more consistent performances, showing up big against Oakland in the run game, and picking up a sack and two pressures against Tennessee

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If they include the batted down passes and blocked FG, then he looks alot better too.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I guess that flies against my assumption that we haven't seen as much from him since Mario went down.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Too many snaps on the Dline is bad. Better to play 70% of snaps at 100% than 85% at 85%.

5. Crushing56

Crushing56 Rookie

I thought he had been kind of invisible since the Indianapolis game.

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Steady against the run doesn't get the sort of attention that sacks, hurries, batted balls, and blocked FGs get. This team held McFadden to a very low rushing total, and Watt was a big part of that. And a 3-4 DE doesn't have the luxury of trying to blast into the backfield all the time. They have to hold their ground, seal the edge, and sometimes just be a clog in the running lane.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

demonstrates how difficult it is to grade CB's & project them to next level in whatever scheme/supporting cast.

QB position will continue to be over drafted.

OT is about the safest bet to hit a solid starter.

Why use a first round pick on a RB?

:kitten:

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

LaDanian Tomlinson. Adrian Peterson.

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    He's a rookie. Don't forget....

He plays a dirty work position too. Nobody reffered to LDE as the "superstar" position before the season when they were trying to explain the change or anything about Mario.

I say he's been good so far, not great but solid. It seems like a few plays a game, here and there he comes up with a play or two. Not dominating anyone though, YET! I think the pick was a good one, all told.