Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Charles Spencer

drewmar74

disgruntled
Released by the Jags....

Hate it for the big man.

link

On the eve of players reporting for minicamp, the Jaguars made two minor roster moves, releasing fourth-year offensive tackle Charles Spencer and second-year fullback Anthony Cotrone.

Spencer was a third-round pick of the Houston Texans in 2006 and was signed by the Jaguars as a free agent on Sept. 3, 2008. Cotrone joined the club as a rookie free agent in 2008 but spent the entire 2008 season on injured reserve.

The team took a flier on bringing Spencer in last season. He was still coming back from a broken leg suffered with Houston in 2006. He was on the Jaguars' roster for 15 games but didn't play at all.

After the Jaguars spent their first- and second-round picks on Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton, Spencer became expendable.

Cotrone's knee must be healed up. The Jaguars have Greg Jones as their primary fullback -- and intend to give him carries too in the post-Fred Taylor era. Special teams ace Montell Owens is Jones' his backup.

Anyone know if he has recovered from his injury? If so I wouldn't mind seeing us bringing him back for TC and see what he has.

Anyone know if he has recovered from his injury? If so I wouldn't mind seeing us bringing him back for TC and see what he has.

That would actually be a good idea. Kind of cool if he could come back and resurrect his career with the team that drafted him.

I seem to remember he recovered, but not where he was pre-injury. Ron Dayne owes that guy an apology.

Somehow I think if the Jags dropped him (and they have major OL issues), hes probably done

I seem to remember he recovered, but not where he was pre-injury. Ron Dayne owes that guy an apology.

Somehow I think if the Jags dropped him (and they have major OL issues), hes probably done

No, he doesn't owe anyone an apology. It was an accident. Those happen in the NFL all the time. It was unfortunate but it was not intentional.

by the time he was picked up by the Jags, wasn't there a rumor that he had gained alot of weight in his comeback attempt with us?

No, he doesn't owe anyone an apology. It was an accident. Those happen in the NFL all the time. It was unfortunate but it was not intentional.

He doesn't owe any apologies for the injury, but I could use an apology for having to see him leave so many yards on the field and see his feeble attempts to get to the outside only to be caught for a loss or no gain.

He doesn't owe any apologies for the injury, but I could use an apology for having to see him leave so many yards on the field and see his feeble attempts to get to the outside only to be caught for a loss or no gain.

Dayne Hater!!!

I seem to remember something about Spencer being overweight and out of shape. (IIRC)

by the time he was picked up by the Jags, wasn't there a rumor that he had gained alot of weight in his comeback attempt with us?

Not quite, but close. It was a fact that he put on a lot of weight even before he started rehab. That was well before the Texans cut him and the Jags picked him up.

There were various rumors that he was running and working out well during that time. Those were based more on positive thinking and good wishes. They ignored the reality of the devastating injury he had received and his recent history of weight gain. It must of felt good though.

Not quite, but close. It was a fact that he put on a lot of weight even before he started rehab. That was well before the Texans cut him and the Jags picked him up.

There were various rumors that he was running and working out well during that time. Those were based more on positive thinking and good wishes. They ignored the reality of the devastating injury he had received and his recent history of weight gain. It must of felt good though.

I'm guessing if he was working with the Jaguars, he wouldn't have the incentive to go low with his weight like he would if he were preparing for a season with the Texans.

As far as O-Linemen go, the Texans are pretty fit.

I'm guessing if he was working with the Jaguars, he wouldn't have the incentive to go low with his weight like he would if he were preparing for a season with the Texans.

As far as O-Linemen go, the Texans are pretty fit.

Yes they are. Big, fit, and athletic. It must be nice.

Spencer was actually waived on December 21, 2008 without having played a game for the Jaguars. He was re-signed to a new contract by the Jaguars on January 12, 2009, but was released yesterday. That's a pretty cruel journey. If he has worked and gotten his body/conditioning together, he could still be a surprise asset for the Texans. I hope that if this is the case, at least the Texans bring him in for a look. It can't hoit.

Just read that LT Charles Spencer has been released by the Jags after drafting their tackles.

I wonder if there will be any consideration of bringing him back to Houston to see if he has recovered enough to contribute again.

Fond memories still linger of a pretty effective LT...

If he was in shape, I say why not. Salaam was released and that leaves Butler as our only swing tackle worthy of gameday. Bring him in as competition with Jason Watson for the practice squad.

If my memory serves, the injury was very bad. Muscle and extreme tissue loss and damage.Hard to rehab a lower extremity when you are about 350lbs. I would love to see him get a shot with Texans but as I think his playing days are over, I doubt he will get a chance anywhere.

Probably the saddest story to come out of the Texans camp thus far. I would like to give him a shot too but I think his shot is shot. He got career-ed pretty good and rehabing legs, much less average everyday movement has to be harder when you start tipping the scales like he did. I'd say if he's healthy, really wants to give it the final go he should show up to Texans camp at about 320 or less and show 'em he's still got something.

Probably the saddest story to come out of the Texans camp thus far.

Him or Joppru.
As I recall Benny never made it on the field with the Texans even though he
was here for what, 3 seasons ? Atleast I don't think he played in a regular season game while with the Texans. Went to Seattle after Houston, but I dunno if he's even still in the league now ?

Back