Charles Spencer Vows to Return

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Allstar, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

"Offensive tackle Charles Spencer, one of the most promising prospects from the Texans' 2006 draft class, missed the entire 2007 season to injury. Spencer has no intention of missing 2008."

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/#

2. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

stop teasing me. I'll believe it when he's laced up, locked and loaded. Smells like Boselli II to me.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

With the Bronco offense, the lineman have traditionally been chosen to weigh around or below 300 pounds. Spencer had a history in college of having his weight get away from him. His playing weight at the beginning of the season was around 340 pounds. The Texans were wanting to see that weight drop some for increased agility at the LT spot in a "bronco-type offense." I saw Spencer recently and he shows signs of having gone significantly the other direction, which is understandable with his injury and lack of mobility during his early rehab period. I have posted my impressions on his type of devastating injury and its implications in other threads. However, as part of his rehab, weight control/loss will be that much more important............in fact, as important to his rehab as to his potential return to the LT position on the our "new" team..................my best wishes for Charles and his difficult plight.

4. adam

adam Guero

Great. Then he should have no problems competing with the LT we hopefully will draft in the first round of this years draft. I am no willing to bank on Charles Spencer's return, we made that mistake with Tony Boselli. Never again. I hope.

5. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Bingo.

6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

that hat was distracting, hopefully he'll make it back and at least provide much needed depth on the o line

7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Was that a 3D hat?

8. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Dude has only played about 5 quarters of football right? Wasn't it the second game of season last year he got injured. I will believe it when I see it with my own two eyes. It is still going to be a long road back for the big man.

9. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

May be in the injury department but tony at least proved to be a probowl tackle for a few years.

10. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Something tells me that the mind may be willing, but the body is weak.

I'll believe it when I see it.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Big difference here is, Spencer actually PLAYED a few downs for the Texans. Boselli NEVER DID.

Spencer got hurt whilst in the service of the Texans. Boselli was damaged goodswith a big-a$$ed contract upon arrival and "Do Not Return" stamped on the receipt.

I have confidence that Spencer will at least make a partial comeback. He may never be what we'd hoped he would, but I think he'll be at least good enough to let us dump Jordan Black.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Cause Jordan Black has hurt us a bunch of times with his play on the field?

I hear he's a better guard anyway.

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

The KC fans warned us (just like some of us tried to warn the Panther fans) but we didn't listen. I'm betting that Black can't beat out Spencer if he returns at 80-90% of what he was.

And I doubt that Black is better at the guard spot than Weary (assuming he comes back), Pitts, Studdard, Brisell, or McKinney.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I don't think Black makes the team.

Unless he turns out to be remarkably suited to what Gibbs is doing.

But I'm not expecting that at all.

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Spencer will have been out of football shape for almost 2 years. Plus if he ever comes back, he'll have lost a LOT of muscle and conditioning. If he ever comes back, dont expect the big nasty you're used to.

PS: Ron Dayne should send him an apology

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Tony Boselli vowed to return as well.

Bennie Joppru vowed to return. I think he did it three times? Was it four?

Domanick Davis vowed to return and then to add insult to (career ending) injury so did Domanick Williams (and I didn't even know who he was or that he got hurt!)

I think it will be fantastic when Charles Spencer steps back on the field and resumes his promising career at either G or LT. At the same time I think the Texans should be planning for the future like they've already reached the injury settlement with him. It's the only sensible way to approach this kind of problem.

Fox likes this.
  17. Fox

Fox All Pro

It's gonna suck big time if a guy like Spencer who had so much potential can't fully come back from an injury suffered so early in his career, but as Herv said, whether he will make it back or not we should prepare as though he isn't even going to be an option.

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It does suck, but that's what happens in football. I'd rather that have happened when it did (When we had no shot of doing anything that season), than to have him perform beautifully for that year and this year, and then have his leg broken in the 2nd game of the '08 season, when we were supposed to be pushing for playoffs.

If he comes back, great, but if he doesn't come back, I don't want that to be the reason the Texans fail at protecting the QB or having an awful running game this coming up season. That would show a wholehearted lack of preparation.

19. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Agree 100%.

20. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I agree as well. Although I doubt he'll have the footwork to become a LT or even a RT for that matter. Guard would be his best bet to make an impact on the field without hurting the team. I'd imagine that it'd be pretty hard to push him around on the interior, seeing that he's pushing 340 lbs.