Charles Spencer Update

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Mar 7, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Spencer was interviewed by Tim Melton and basically made a statement about his condition: he's rehabing, making progress, and expects to be at
    Summer training camp. Great News !
    He went on to say he resented the story that appeared in the Chron awhile
    back about his career being over.
    Nobody else caught this ?

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

:yahoo:

I hope he has a pro-bowl year!!...

3. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Everyone says that. DD said that last year. I'll stick with believing Zerlein's report that best case scenario has Spencer back sometime during the preseason, worst case scenario has him on the PUP to start the season (similar to Wong's situation last season.)

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

That's great he was on tv...I hope he's right and he's good by camp...A healthy spencer would be such a big help for this team.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I am very interested to see how this plays out. The various conflicitng statements are so far apart I don't know what to believe.

6. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

He just told you what was going on. Why do you not believe him?

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I hope he just won't be at training camp but will be fully healed by then and participate in them and work out!

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Cuz, Zerlein is a doctor and has more information than any other fan. Gotcha.

Sure there is hype out there at times, but there is no reason to assume every team and every player is lying every time.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Absolutely ! Nothing is guaranteed, but to my knowledge this is the first time
    Spencer has personally made a public statement in the media, and its significant for him to do that IMO. Is he out of the woods ? Of course not,
    but this is encouraging.
    This guy is a starter and even a star for us somewhere in the OLine when and if he recovers.

10. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Awesome. This guy is a potential All-Pro. I hope Big Nasty makes it back.

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Let's see.

He's rehabing. Good.

He's making progress. Good.

He expects to be at camp. Good. But doing what?

He resents the story. Good. He's a fighter.

Did he say he was healthy? Did he say he was 100%? 90%? Does he weigh 330? 360?

I didn't hear the interview so I don't know. I guess his statements could mean he's better than ever. Maybe they mean he hasn't fully recovered yet. I don't know what to believe - maybe I just need more facts and don't intuitively know the truth. I may be a little slow that way.

12. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Cuz Zerlein is a reporter that is above football speak. I want Spencer back as well as anyone but blind optimism is a set up for disappointment. According to all sources, save one sensationalist headline, Spencer will be back and starting sometime in 2008. Beyond that, there is nothing definitive, including a general statement such as, "he's rehabing, making progress, and expects to be at Summer training camp."

13. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

I really hope that Charles Spencer comes back in good form. That way we don't have to worry about an OT in the draft and can focus on defense. Hopefully we could get Ryan Kalil though.

14. Stampede

Stampede Veteran

He said he did'nt mind the Texans going after other O linemen. Said that he plans to fight to win back his starting position. Did you guys hear the woo hoo from Alvin?...umm, that was me. :)

15. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

hey the kid is great...i hope the best for him...i hope that he's ready by training camp but i would absolutely hate for him to be too worried about losing his job by coming back too early and re-injurying himself...so charles "big nasty" spencer get back as soon as you can but make sure you're ready to go 100 mph when you do

16. Texan_Aggie222

Texan_Aggie222 Rookie

I am glad to see he thinks he will be back for training camp, but will he be really ready to practice and play? He is not out of the woods yet, he still has a long way to go before he is fully recovered. I beleive we should draft Levi Brown to play left tackle for us, and move Spencer to right tackle, if he is fully recovered. We also should have another player who can step in and play right tackle if he is not ready. Whether thats Winston or Salaam I don't know, but you always need to prepar for the worst case scenerio.

17. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'd still love the Texans to draft Levi Brown. You can never have a shortage of offensive linemen. Move Spencer to RT or wherever the Texans feel he best fits and have Brown be the LT. A line of:

LT- Levi Brown
    LG- Chester Pitts
    C- McKinney/Weary
    RG- Eric Winston
    RT- Spencer

I think that would be the makings of a very good line!

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Last time I heard this many different versions of the same story about a LT his name was Tony Boselli.

Yeah, I know we're not supposed to say that name. I don't care. That experience taught me to be very skeptical of anything that comes out of the Houston Texans regarding injuries.

In my own mind I have to think that he's not coming back until I see him run out on the field and play a few snaps. Being a Texans fan though I can't help but want to believe that this is going to happen and that Spencer will be fine. The position has been so unlucky and we could really use some good news there.

19. Charter PSL Fan

Charter PSL Fan Rookie

I don't believe a word those so called reporters on 610 (esp Rich Lord) or what most of the Chronicle writers say/write. This includes that wimp Bob Allen on ch 13. They say what they think their followers want to hear. I don't respect their opinions at all. Maybe John McLain sometimes.

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the thing here is you take spencer at his word and you take it for what it is...this is a young guy who all he's heard the past few months is that his career is over and that his head coach isn't going to hold his breath to see if he comes through...he knows the franchise is going to draft another young tackle somewhere in the draft...and that he's gonna have a fight ahead of him...so he goes on tv to tell the city that he's coming back ready for a fight...this is the best attitude the kid can have right now...whether it's actually going to happen or not is yet to be seen but so far he has the right attitude and from what i've heard he's keeping his weight in check...supposedly he's around 330lbs

Runner likes this.