Charles Spencer picked up by Panthers/cut/now with Jags

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by RobbC, Jul 23, 2008.

1. RobbC

RobbC Media

Adam Caplan from Scout.com / BattleRedNation.com reports:

The Carolina Panthers claimed former Houston Texans OL Charles Spencer off of waivers today. Spencer was noted on the transaction wire failing Houston's team physical on Tuesday. However, it's believed he'll be able to participate in Carolina's training camp which begins on Friday.

SOLIS likes this.
  2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Good for him. I hope it works out.

I remain skeptical that he'll be able to "participate" in camp, though.

3. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

Wow first Carr to Panthers now Spencer. Kinda like the Broncos and Texans saga as to the Texans and Panthers saga wierd.

The hell with that good luck Spence dawg prove the Texans wrong.:fans:

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

that was quick...it will be interesting to see if we bailed too soon or if we had it right.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Maybe we wouldn't have bailed as fast if we were still going to do some power blocking. I'm guessing that his weight, combined with his injury, limited him to a point where Gibbs wanted nothing to do with him.

6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

At least he isn't in our division, that's all I have to say....

7. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I'm thinking we bailed too soon. Just a gut feeling. The good thing is, the Panthers are in the NFC and we won't have to play them again for what, four years (unless we meet in a Super Bowl ;)).

Best of luck to him.

Giant Tiger likes this.
  8. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

It says right there above that he failed his physical. After almost two full years of rehab, and he can't pass a physical - let alone hang with the other lineman in OTAs which didn't even require pads or contact - I think it was time to move on. I hope he makes a comeback though.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I wish Spencer the best of luck with the Panthers, except when we play each other. :texflag:

10. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I've heard before, that a team can make sure you don't pass a physical if they are ready to get rid of you.

11. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, and keeping him around for two years and paying him during that time is a sure sign that we wanted to get rid of him.

The Texans did the right thing. I wish the fans were able to move on as well.

SOLIS likes this.
  12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I don't get the 'too soon' and 'too fast' comments. This was one of the most deliberate, prolonged and painful decisions I can recall for any player rehab decision. If he couldn't get back on the field without pads nearly two years post-surgery, I don't see how waiting two or even four more months would all of a sudden have gotten him back on the field with pads and with expectations to perform at full NFL speed.

If he plays anywhere this year, it's not because the Texans gave up too soon, it's because of one of two things: a) they completely blew the assessment of where he's at, which I doubt is the case, or b) he no longer has the requisite agility to play in a Gibbs 'get to the second level in a hurry' system, but can still maul away in a power blocking scheme, which is possible. I'm leaning toward his NFL career is over and the Texans did everything they could to help him come back.

SOLIS and DiehardChris like this.
  13. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Let's keep something in perspective - he was picked up by the Panthers - the same team that thought enough of David Carr to give him a spot on the roster.

I'm not saying... I'm just saying.

14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think he said that he'd never be 100% again , I see him having issues from now on . A 340 lb dude with 8 screws holding your bone together and you push off with said bone while trying to drive another 300 lb guy 2 yards back , just seems painfull .

I was afraid he would end up with the Titans and become all world . Did'nt the Panthers draft Otah from Pitt ?

15. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I knew he'd be cut the day I saw that photo of him during OTAs. His size was shocking.

I was as high on Big Nasty as anyone, but I think the praise and hype Spencer got was hugely disproportionate to his on-field contributions. He may have developed into a great LT, but we really only saw him once. No one really knows how good he would've been.

As unfortunate as the Big Nasty situation was for all parties, I'm hopeful that his deal with the Panthers portends good fortune for both the player and his former team. The fact that Spencer got snapped up quickly tells me that he might still be able to play in the NFL after all, and it also says that this team has OL depth like never before.

16. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

So, in a way, we pretty much traded Charles Spencer for Rashard Butler, who played for the Panthers last year and was also a third-round pick of the same draft class. Two tackles with health-problem... even trade, no?

Best of luck to Spencer in Carolina.

drewmar74 likes this.
  17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

let's just hope Spencer doesn't take to wearing white gloves
    :cool:

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Carolina sure likes Texans cast-offs huh? Hope he makes it back onto the field, but I think he'll be very limited in a backup role if used even at all.

19. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Okay, I'm confused. Manfull reports that Spencer passed the physical with the Texans, but the report from the OP says he did not.

It doesn't change my opinion on how the Texans handled it, but I'm just not sure what's true. Typically the local writers are more up on these things.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

HUH?? Perhaps you mean that in most cities, the local press is up on the local teams... Not the case with the Chronicle, for reasons that escape understanding.