Changes ahead

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by alphajoker, Oct 1, 2009.

1. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Looks like McCain and Pollard are starting this Sunday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6646117.html

2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I'm glad Bennett isn't starting. The message is you CAN'T play that bad and continue to see the field. Kubiak WILL start a rookie over you.

Maybe Kubiak can keep that train rollin' with Deljuan starting over Okoye?

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Another scrap heap safety and a 6th round rookie..... :fans:

4. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

This saftey problem has been an ongoing issue since Kubiak took office.
    For crying out loud, get someone decent in the draft or make a dang trade.

5. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

Pollard could make a good impact. Everybody was surprised when he was cut, he wont be a pro bowler or anything but i like his potential. Better than Busing and Barber anyway.

About time Bennett hit the bench. My grandma could run a slant pattern and take it to the house on that guy.

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I really don't get it with Bennett. How does a guy regress that much from his rookie year?

My only guess is that he misses Will Demps, because as soon as he came out of the lineup, then Bennett started slipping....I know it's farfetched, but it's all I got.

7. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Since Kubiak took office? I was thinking more like since the expansion draft.

8. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Forgetting the part about how we should have worried about this secondary situation many years ago - certainly before now - maybe a little shakeup is just what this team needs. I would prefer the shakeup to include someone who isn't a rookie at corner but I guess you can't have everything.

At least doing something is better than just tapping a podium or using the "e" word.

9. TEXANS84

Fair enough, with the likes of Matt Stevens and Corey Bradford moving to FS.
    But it should have been adressed with the new coaching staff. Yet we draft a boatload of TE's (when we don't even need them) this year and just ignore the S position.

Good teams like the Ravens and Steelers have dominant safteys and always ranked in the top five in defenses.

Vinny likes this.
  10. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Bradford? or did you mean Marcus Coleman.

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Marcus Coleman was the best safety this team ever had... and that was after converting him from corner on the very downside of his career. :thinking:

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

While he has certainly regressed some, I was always very skeptical of him his rookie year. Other than good ball skills, I didn't see much that I liked. I know a lot of people really liked his aggressiveness and tackling but he always seemed to lack body control and try and make tackles while facing the ground. Regarding his tackling now, it looks to me like someone tried to correct his form and he has turned into a "clutch and grab" guy as a result. I think it comes down to the fact that the guy isn't very coachable. I don't think he's unwilling to be coached but I think he simply doesn't make changes and adjustments well.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I watched and read all the interviews and what not from yesterday. Kubiak said he expected them to get more time, but he never mentioned anything about starting. Maybe he told McFlubber off camera or something?

Bennett should be absolutely ashamed of himself. Simply pathetic!

14. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

just my observation, but after Fatty McFat said Kubiak's Texans were "an abomination", the only thing Kubes told McFatty off camera was probably "go ******* yourself".

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:spit: I would pay to see/hear that. That guy's really starting to get under my skin. Fat Bastard!

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I'd say Marlon McCree was. Big Marcus Coleman turned into a ballerina as a safety.

17. TEXANS84

Good lord, I need some coffee this morning.
    Thanks V Man, Coleman.

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think the idea of throwing a rookie out there in place of Bennett has merit. Sometimes it's suicide but we're already getting killed anyway so that shouldnt' be a concern. He can't do any worse than Bennett has. Also we've seen some rookie CB's play well for us at times. Sure they turn into turnstiles the next season but I think sometimes a rookie doesn't understand enought to be afraid of what he's facing. Sometimes they just go out there and play to the best of their ability and something good happens.

I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see improvement with this change (alongside the switch to Pollard). Maybe not season long, destiny changing improvement but I'm desperate for something positive so it will do.

19. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

call me crazy... but a finger injury for reeves?

Personally...id rather they strapped up and braced that finger and sent him out to play. If he cant catch the ball...fine.. we will just have to make do with defensed passes.

20. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I think the biggest improvement might be from getting Pollard in there.

From what I've seen, he's more of an in-the-box guy, but that's what we've been missing. As they say, when you load 10 guys on the line, you better not let that RB get passed the first line of defense. So, Pollard being extremely effective in that role might lend itself to our defense. The fact that he can't cover might be marginalized given our scheme.

If these assumptions hold true, I think he will have an immediate and considerable impact on our defense.

Now, if only we could get Amobi on the bench...