CBS:training camp battle Maddox vs. Johnson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10257184/rss

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

There's no battle. It's Maddox job to lose.

3. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

Maddox is a good blue-collar worker who knows how to play DL. It will take an above average player to take his place.:d:

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'll be surprised if TJ even makes it out of training camp as a Texan. He's got bust written all over his career, IMO.

5. real

real Guest

Well....

Looks like I'm alone in my thoughts, but I think Travis Johnson is a good DT...

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm trying to fathom what else the acronym DT might stand for, because it sure ain't Defensive Tackle! ;)

7. real

real Guest

Before TJ got hurt last year he was playing very well IMHO...

He isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but the guy gets decent pressure from the DT spot and he has enough mobility to make plays down the line...

I actually like TJ and hope he makes the team...

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I have no issue with TJ being a good DT. My issue with TJ is that he is a good rotaional back up DT making #19 first round money. It's not his fault that the people who judged his tallents were, over expectant in their evauation of them. Whatever he was supossed to have as a first rounder...he ain't got it. I hope he makes the team too. But, I have no illusions that we've seen TJ hit his NFL production apex. He is what he is. A rotation guy, not a front line NFL DT.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

based on what? I tape most of the games and the only real thing that sticks out to me is that he gets pushed around most of the time.

10. real

real Guest

Well b4 he got hurt last year I liked his activity down there...

I don't know anything about him being pushed around "most of the time", but the TJ I saw last year was pretty active and an active 3 tech is a good thing...

I remember a few times he made plays on the ball carrier down the line and I also remember him getting some good pressure...

I record the games too....I haven't watched any of them for a few month though so this is from memory, but I think TJ easily makes the team and is in the rotation...

No he isn't first round worthy, but I don't think he's terrible like some say...

11. real

real Guest

I agree with ya.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I realize stats don't tell the whole story, but 8 solo tackles and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't equate to good play.

I wish the best for him due to the fact he's a Texan, but to date he's been a bust.

:d:

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

no way he makes the team "easily"...or we wouldn't have felt the need to use our top 10 draft pick on a DT. Most of the plays you see him make are away from him...when run right at he is not a good player.....he has some footspeed so he is decent in pursuit...but all that adds up to a scrub at the end of the day when that is all you bring to the table.

14. real

real Guest

I won't say I totally ignore stats, but If I see with my eyes a player that is playing pretty well I'll disregard them..

That's about a tackle a game which is the same thing ND Kalu did...as a DE...

He started 8 of his 9 games last year which means A) he was the best at his position B) The Texans didn't really care and threw anyone out there

Which is it ?

15. real

real Guest

Well we'll just have to wait and see...

I really would hate to see him get cut because I like activity among the D-line and I think he brings activity...

Do I want him to start ? No...but if we're going to have to pay him anyway I'd like to atleast use him as a rotational player...I think he can provide some good relief for both DT positions...JMO

16. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I would rather see Zgonina in the game for rotation. Maddox is the guy, though.

17. real

real Guest

I don't even know if I want Zgonia on the roster or not...

I really don't know anything about him other than he's an old pro...

And he looks to be in really good shape...

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I desperately wanted to see TJ prove to the world that the move down to get him was a good idea. It hasn't happened and so now more than ever when I look at TJ all I do is see the linebacker that we don't have.

TJ is "quality depth" when he feels like putting forth the effort. We have routinely found street free agents that can outplay TJ and for that we wasted a chance to draft Derrick Johnson. He'll be one of the last major mistakes to be shown the door simply because people hate to admit to screwing the pooch on a 1. Make no mistake though, he will be shown the door.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Comparing him to ND Kalu?? Kalu was a 5th round pick and has been a mediocre but solid player ever since. Comparing him to Kalu is all but admitting TJ is a 1st round bust.

I think he'll be in the rotation this year as well, undeservingly.

C) Only DT on the roster at the time worthy of starting.

:d:

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

you lament Derrick Johnson :heart: I lament Jammal Brown (must be Levi Brown's older brother :) ). otherwise thats a pretty forgetable draft (2005) :shades: