Wolf

100% Texan
Training camps: AFC South position battles

Pete Prisco July 19, 2007
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Houston Texans

Anthony Maddox vs. Travis Johnson, defensive tackle

Johnson is a former first-round pick who hasn't lived up to the expectations. Maddox was picked up on waivers from the Jaguars and played well late last season after taking over as a starter. With rookie Amobi Okoye scheduled to start at one tackle, these two will fight it out for the other spot.

Edge: Maddox. It's his job to lose.

Opening-day starter: Maddox. He seems hungry and those types of players usually don't lose their jobs.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10257184/rss

maddogmrb

Rookie
Maddox is a good blue-collar worker who knows how to play DL. It will take an above average player to take his place.:d:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'll be surprised if TJ even makes it out of training camp as a Texan. He's got bust written all over his career, IMO.

R

real

Well....

Looks like I'm alone in my thoughts, but I think Travis Johnson is a good DT...

R

real

Before TJ got hurt last year he was playing very well IMHO...

He isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but the guy gets decent pressure from the DT spot and he has enough mobility to make plays down the line...

I actually like TJ and hope he makes the team...

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Well....

I have no issue with TJ being a good DT. My issue with TJ is that he is a good rotaional back up DT making #19 first round money. It's not his fault that the people who judged his tallents were, over expectant in their evauation of them. Whatever he was supossed to have as a first rounder...he ain't got it. I hope he makes the team too. But, I have no illusions that we've seen TJ hit his NFL production apex. He is what he is. A rotation guy, not a front line NFL DT.

R

real

based on what? I tape most of the games and the only real thing that sticks out to me is that he gets pushed around most of the time.
Well b4 he got hurt last year I liked his activity down there...

I don't know anything about him being pushed around "most of the time", but the TJ I saw last year was pretty active and an active 3 tech is a good thing...

I remember a few times he made plays on the ball carrier down the line and I also remember him getting some good pressure...

I record the games too....I haven't watched any of them for a few month though so this is from memory, but I think TJ easily makes the team and is in the rotation...

No he isn't first round worthy, but I don't think he's terrible like some say...

R

real

I have no issue with TJ being a good DT. My issue with TJ is that he is a good rotaional back up DT making #19 first round money. It's not his fault that the people who judged his tallents were, over expectant in their evauation of them. Whatever he was supossed to have as a first rounder...he ain't got it. I hope he makes the team too. But, I have no illusions that we've seen TJ hit his NFL production apex. He is what he is. A rotaiion guy not a front line NFL DT.
I agree with ya.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Before TJ got hurt last year he was playing very well IMHO...

He isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but the guy gets decent pressure from the DT spot and he has enough mobility to make plays down the line...

I actually like TJ and hope he makes the team...
I realize stats don't tell the whole story, but 8 solo tackles and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't equate to good play.

I wish the best for him due to the fact he's a Texan, but to date he's been a bust.

:d:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
no way he makes the team "easily"...or we wouldn't have felt the need to use our top 10 draft pick on a DT. Most of the plays you see him make are away from him...when run right at he is not a good player.....he has some footspeed so he is decent in pursuit...but all that adds up to a scrub at the end of the day when that is all you bring to the table.

R

real

I realize stats don't tell the whole story, but 8 solo tackles and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't equate to good play.

I wish the best for him due to the fact he's a Texan, but to date he's been a bust.

I won't say I totally ignore stats, but If I see with my eyes a player that is playing pretty well I'll disregard them..

That's about a tackle a game which is the same thing ND Kalu did...as a DE...

He started 8 of his 9 games last year which means A) he was the best at his position B) The Texans didn't really care and threw anyone out there

Which is it ?

R

real

no way he makes the team "easily"...or we wouldn't have felt the need to use our top 10 draft pick on a DT. Most of the plays you see him make are away from him...when run right at he is not a good player.....he has some footspeed so he is decent in pursuit...but all that adds up to a scrub at the end of the day when that is all you bring to the table.

Well we'll just have to wait and see...

I really would hate to see him get cut because I like activity among the D-line and I think he brings activity...

Do I want him to start ? No...but if we're going to have to pay him anyway I'd like to atleast use him as a rotational player...I think he can provide some good relief for both DT positions...JMO

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
Well we'll just have to wait and see...

I really would hate to see him get cut because I like activity among the D-line and I think he brings activity...

Do I want him to start ? No...but if we're going to have to pay him anyway I'd like to atleast use him as a rotational player...I think he can provide some good relief for both DT positions...JMO
I would rather see Zgonina in the game for rotation. Maddox is the guy, though.

R

real

I don't even know if I want Zgonia on the roster or not...

I really don't know anything about him other than he's an old pro...

And he looks to be in really good shape...

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I desperately wanted to see TJ prove to the world that the move down to get him was a good idea. It hasn't happened and so now more than ever when I look at TJ all I do is see the linebacker that we don't have.

TJ is "quality depth" when he feels like putting forth the effort. We have routinely found street free agents that can outplay TJ and for that we wasted a chance to draft Derrick Johnson. He'll be one of the last major mistakes to be shown the door simply because people hate to admit to screwing the pooch on a 1. Make no mistake though, he will be shown the door.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I won't say I totally ignore stats, but If I see with my eyes a player that is playing pretty well I'll disregard them..

That's about a tackle a game which is the same thing ND Kalu did...as a DE...

He started 8 of his 9 games last year which means A) he was the best at his position B) The Texans didn't really care and threw anyone out there

Which is it ?
Comparing him to ND Kalu?? Kalu was a 5th round pick and has been a mediocre but solid player ever since. Comparing him to Kalu is all but admitting TJ is a 1st round bust.

I think he'll be in the rotation this year as well, undeservingly.

C) Only DT on the roster at the time worthy of starting.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I desperately wanted to see TJ prove to the world that the move down to get him was a good idea. It hasn't happened and so now more than ever when I look at TJ all I do is see the linebacker that we don't have.

TJ is "quality depth" when he feels like putting forth the effort. We have routinely found street free agents that can outplay TJ and for that we wasted a chance to draft Derrick Johnson. He'll be one of the last major mistakes to be shown the door simply because people hate to admit to screwing the pooch on a 1. Make no mistake though, he will be shown the door.
you lament Derrick Johnson :heart: I lament Jammal Brown (must be Levi Brown's older brother :) ). otherwise thats a pretty forgetable draft (2005) :shades:

kravix

Noob
This is TJ's 3rd year, and depending on who most people are talking about they will generally give a DT a few years to produce. Personally I enjoy instant gratification as much as the next person, but I am a very patient football fan.

Granted TJ's first year wasnt great, but he did start 3 games as RDE instead of DT.

His second year he showed some improvement towards the end of the season before his injury, but still nothing above a under average starter.

I dont think this will be his year either though. He may become solid this year and even take over the starting role towards the end of the year. It really depends on how much he gets from the new coaches. I think that the Bush/Franklin styles of coaching fundamentals and tech. will help him more. Some people need others to push them and make them perform, and when that happens they perform way up there.

So all in all I say he becomes a solid started by mid season, and takes it back from Maddox, who I believe starts the season. End of season and next year I hope we see an above average player out of TJ.

I dont think TJ can be labeled as a bust. As long as he is still in football and can make a challenge for the number one spot on 50% of rosters thats not a bust to me. Was he a bad round 1 pick... Some other team would have picked him, just not as high as us, so I say no. More players never pan out than become good, and a majority of the good players arent even 1st or 2nd rounders. The leauge rules which dont restrict rookie pay is what makes them a bust.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame

Remember now at the time... we were still in the 3-4. I saw Derick as an Outside backer but many did not. I was so hot for him that I wanted to see what he could do at saftey. I don't know but I will always believe they got caught with their pants down in the move down deal. They thought that Derick Johnson or Jamaal Brown would be there for them and they would get one of the two. When those two went off the board bang, bang, they went to their chats and there was TJ. And it's a good leason. First, the sum of John McCrago and Travis Johnson was greater than those two alone. Together they dominated in college football inside i.e. sometimes if you don't take in all the circumstaces the tape lies. Alone they floundered. May I use the term floundered now ? Secondly, when eveluating draft tallent you must consider the players around the prospect as well as the competition. Hopefully we've learned that lesson well now.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Isn't TJ really competing with Okoye and not Maddox for a starting position
since in the normal 4-man front the Texans are now running, they usually have a one-gapper and a two-gapper on the inside together and both TJ and Okoye are of the former category ? In other words what we'd expect to see is Maddox (a 2-gap guy) on the field with either TJ or Okoye, but not TJ & Okoye together.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Well....

I'll go with ya on that. He's had some attitude problems and was drafted too high(hardly his fault OR Kubes/Smith's either) but seemed to have some fire in him when he was injured. Since we rotate so much on the DL, the only real battle here will be which one is out there on the 1st play of the 1st series. Other than that, I bet their playing time will be equal. I expect some serious production from this unit in '07. I'll go out on a limb and say they'll easily be Top 10 and may even break Top 5. How can I say that? Because that's what I think and you ain't the boss of me!!! :wild: :bat: