CBA aftereffects: 2011 first rounders are in for a rude awakening

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

A Storm is a Brewing...First round picks from the 2011 draft class are in for a rude awakening
    read more: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-storm-is-brewing-1567.html

( By request, deserves its own topic.)

2. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I faild to see how anybody characterizes this as a storm that's brewing. I see zero potential for anything to happen as a result of this situation beyond bitching and moaning.

This is exactly what was intended, and nobody should be at all surprised by how this turned out. I wonder how many of the folks bemoaning the fact that top draft picks were being ridiculously compensated prior to 2011 are now whining about the fact that they're being screwed (although I would imagine most of those complaining about this are either players or agents). The bottom line is this impacts at most 22 players a year - those drafted from slot #11 to slot #32 - for one year). If the first three years are enough to convince a team they don't really want somebody back at a starters salary then it won't even effect that many. For example, Gabe Carimi doesn't care about this clause in his former contract anymore, and I'm guessing this clause will end up having zero effect on Christian Ponder.

To me this is just a bunch of pissed off agents making a fuss about something that should have happened and did.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Interesting.

4. Playoffs

Fifth-year option tracker

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

5th year options on 3/4ths of the top dozen 2011 picks were picked up, and guess what position each of the 25% who's option wasn't exercised played ? Yep, and I suspect that little fact won't be lost upon one Bill O'Brien.

6. Playoffs

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/05/nfl-draft-johnny-manziel-khalil-mack/5/