Casserly trade talk

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by NederlandTexan, Apr 4, 2005.

1. NederlandTexan

NederlandTexan Veteran

from http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2005PreDraft.html

Texans GM Charlie Casserly during a radio interview last week... stated that it's very likely that his team will trade out of their first pick which is the 13th overall...Casserly didn't say which way the team will be moving (up or down) but it's likely the team will move up if one of the prospects they covet slips a bit in the Draft....the Texans have two glaring needs...one on the O-Line at the Left Tackle position and the other on Defensive side of the ball at the Inside Linebacker position...since the team is Drafting 13th overall...taking an Inside Backer with that pick is out of the question since the Top Prospects (Crowder,Thurman and Ruud) all carry a late first round grade at best... however...the Texans could land the Draft's top OT Alex Barron if they were to move up to the Lions pick at #10 since the teams drafting ahead of the Lions have other needs and are likely to pass on Barron...the Texans could also be targeting WR Troy Williamson to pair with Andre Johnson and give Qb David Carr another weapon...it seems that the Lions pick at #10 could become the "Hot Spot" on Draft Day...

Thought this was interesting... :hmmm:

2. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Why would we move up for Barron? We should stick with Wand for this year, and if he fails, look OT in the first next year when the OTs coming out are actually good...

3. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

I would love moving up for Troy Williamson but if we do move up and both DJ and TW are there I want DJ!

4. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

It sounds like the speculation by this reporter is just that. I see DJ possibly playing ILB with us. Plus we need both a starting inside and/or outside LB, so we could take DJ and place Wong inside. This guy is reaching with his conclusions since he really has no idea of our LB situation.

If we trade up to take Alex Barron I'll be some kind of PO'ed...

5. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I agree. IMO Wand will have to do a pretty horrible job this season to get replaced, he had a solid season last season starting his first full season at LT and I think and hope he will only improve, but if we do have to replace him after the '05 season, we can look to next year's draft like DRek stated, or look at free agent tackles...

6. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

Why would we move up to get another Cory Bradford?

7. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

I think Philly, GB, KC, possibly a team or 2 more wants to move up/ KC would give us #15 and 3rd. The others would have to either give up several late round pics or a #2. I think we can get a OLB in Ware at any of those picks.. if he is gone their is Blackstock and Burnett. If we get another 2nd we can get the WR and prob a CB. Then we can go DE, OL, RB, or S here.

8. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

Moving up to take Barron-nightmare!
    Moving up to take DJ-don't we need a pass rush at OLB the jury is still out on peek. Plus deep draft for talent and we need depth
    Holding out at #13 where somebody unexpectedly falls to us-grab em' or pick up some extra picks-just right

9. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

As much as I would love to have DJ as an ILB, the Texans have too many needs for depth to trade up to get him. If he or Spears falls to 13 I would be extremely happy. Otherwise, I would like to trade down and get more draft picks.

Burnett would also be a good fit for ILB in the 3-4.

10. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

if KC trades we would get 1st 4th and 5th... they dont have a 3rd.
    1st #15 worth 1050
    4th #110 worth 74
    5th #141 worth 35

if GB trades
    1st #24 worth 740
    2nd #51 worth 390
    they have 2 #2's i am sure they are more than happy to part with 1 to get Alex Smith

If Philly trades
    #31 worth 600
    #35 worth 550

These are some what ifs from teams i heard want to trade up.

11. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

All those look like sweet deals especially the first two.

12. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

I like the trade with Philly myself.

13. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

those are just what ifs from teams i have heard want to trade up... i havent heard of these deals... i have heard some ppl think KC will trade and GB will but i thought Philly bc i heard they want to move up... I dont think its high enough for them though.

14. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

If Williamson or maybe Clayton is available at 13 I think Casserly might be able to talk Philly into making that deal.

15. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

What i am hearing is Philly want Mike Williams. So that means #7 or higher. Thats gonna mean trading up almost the whole draft.

16. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

As long as we get at least four players the first day I'd say things went well. It looks like there are solid players through round 3 at least. If Philly wants to deal why not we could snag Burnett and Bass or assortment of any other players you like.

17. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

well the more websites i see the more everyone acts like barron is the guy we're targetting...so for ya'll who hate the idea of us drafting him in the first...you might want to get used to the idea

18. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

I would love that deal with Philly but i think there trarget is Mike Williams. I dont think Williamson or Clayton are thier targets though. I would be more than happy to see the Texans with more than 2 picks on the 1st day bc of the depth of this draft.
    KC Deal happens we could get Ware, Miller, Clayton
    GB deal happens we could get Blackstock, Burnett, White, Browner, maybe ware
    Philly deal happens we could prob get Burnett, Jackson, Brown, Gibson we might even get 2 of these names

19. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

I could see us trading up to #6 for DJ. Tennessee needs players and not huge contracts right? At the very worst we would have to give up both our 3rds. I know many may not want to give up both thirds, but remember, one of those came from a 6th round pick. So it would kind of cost us a 1, 3 and 6 to get DJ. Just try'en to be optimisitic about trading up because if we trade up it will probably cost us more than a single 3. I could go for a playmaker in the first and miss out on some potential starters in the third. Judging by what types of players we have traditionally picked in the third round, every single one has been a project of sorts. We've had Peek, Wand, Ragone, Weary, Hill, and a traded pick. Hill was gone fast, Ragone could be a great backup/trade bate, Weary hasn't done a lot, Wand has started primarily due to need and Peek will hopefully start next year and shows some flashes of being a playmaker. I would not be upset to get an almost sure fire playmaker in exchange for two of the type of guys we go for in the third.

20. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

I dont think people are upset with the idea of drafting him....just the idea of trading up to draft him....if hes bpa at #13...then why not he's a hell of an athlete, but not worth trading up for since he's not our primary NEED.