Casserly top 10 in worst sports GMs

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness_top_ten_100/107_fitness_list.html?homepage_s_recent_li

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

wow no matt millen

3. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

My thoughts as well

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Exactly,

i also take offense to the writers assertion that his "worst" move was the selection of Mario over VY & RB. Truthfully, neither of these guys has really proved anything remotely close to the billing they received so i don't know what he's basing that off of besides hype. IMO the PBUC deal was the worst move he made.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think the author is on the money about his shots at Casserly for the Carr pick followed by a failure to provide him with adequate protection up front.
    But its well known that Casserly was enamored with Bush, however as a lame-duck GM it was not him but the rookie HC at the time who passed on the USC back, so the author didn't have the story right on that one.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think Carr's protection issue is so over blown in the media....Carr was the key reason he didn't have good protection. If the linemen don't know where you are, it's hard to protect you. Carr couldn't operate in a pocket, made poor decisions, couldn't read a defense and it killed the entire offense. I think we will see the line made up of mostly the same players play quite well this year.

DiapHer and TigerV1 like this.
  7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I agree the o-line will be better without Carr at QB, and I think it would have been better in years past without Carr at QB. I don't think it will be "good" if good is considered average. I think the o-line will be the weak point of the offense due to a couple of weak links.

All that being said, I think if the Texans truly become a running team they will be capitalizing on the line's strength and hiding its weakness. If they try to be a passing team (with five and seven step drops) I think they'll find that McKinney/Flanagan and Salaam/Black aren't up to the task.

I predict that any Texans' success this year is based on a stout defense and lots of running plays.

And to go back on topic with the thread, the old regime coaching was far worse than Casserly's GM'ing.

powerfuldragon likes this.
  8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Casserly wasn't a GM. He was an order desk clerk dressed in a GM figurehead suit. A short suit at that.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I thought Kevin McHale would be on that list as well as Millen.

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Just supports my theory that you cant say Texans without saying bad oline... I think Casserly was a horrible GM, but Matt MIllen is WAY more deserving of that spot than Cass. Ill say worst move is Pendry to O cordinator. P Buc had potential to be a really good fit here, were as Pendry was a bum. Or Fangio running the defense so badly for so long.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I gotta agree with that one.

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

This is typical national writer. "Hey, it is the Texans and I've never watched their games but I will follow the company line and throw out O-line." In general, the things they mentioned didn't even scratch the surface of why Casserly was so horrible.

13. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

What's funny is that Casserly is one of the worst, but not for the reasons the writer gives.

The bloated contracts, the obsession with the age of 30, absurd trades, and refusal to cut bait with David Carr - those are better reasons.