Casserly on Carl Dukes

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 19, 2006.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Just listened to Casserly on Carl Dukes and it looks like VY is officially out of the mix. Not like it hasn't been expected. Unless Charlie is a great poker player, which he has shown not to be, than it is Bush or Mario. He point blank said that if Bush weren't in the draft then Mario would hands down be the #1 player taken. He said it comes down to offense and defense. He then repeated that Bush and Mario are the best two out there. Could be smoke but I just wanted to post what I just heard. Should be fun.:redtowel:

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Anyone with hopes VY would come to the Texans is either not a real fan or a homer. I'm more of a Bart than a Homer.

3. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Was Vince ever in the mix?

4. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Way to respect a different opinion...now that you've taken time out of your busy schedule to insult me, can we talk about something else?

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'd like to think that every player was in the mix at some stage and the FO has done enough work to know that who they pick is best for the future of the franchise.

6. mexican_texan

sure...how bout those Three Six Mafia guys?

7. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Decent baselines...mediocre hooks. About par for the course in commercial music....they've done better than they won an oscar for.

8. mexican_texan

I meant the satanic thing, but ok.

9. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

No.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Yeah, I think so. I'm pretty objective and think VY is a great kid and can be a stud. He is a leader and I think McNair has looked at his pull. But if we look at filling holes after spending money on Carr, then it is obviously Bush or Mario. I've never been a huge Carr fan but once that deal was made they basically said they would give him a spin with new tools. We will see. Honestly, Mario wouldn't surprise me since the Broncos took D the last couple of years and got RBs in late rounds.

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I heard the interview. For a change, I thought Casserly was pretty candid. I'll recap some of what I remember...

The biggest things I took out of it was that they are undecided between Williams and Bush (I still think it's Bush) and nobody else is even under consideration. He said that they have Williams rated higher than Peppers coming out, and that if Bush were not in the mix, all 32 teams would have Mario listed as the #1 pick on thier board. He said Bush is the sexy pick, the one most casual fans know, whereas the casual fan will not be familiar with Williams, but that all of the scouts sure were. He struck me that he was trying to sell Williams to the listener. While I still think it's Bush, for the first time, I am feeling that this really could go either way. Also, he said they have had zero trade offers for that pick...none. CC said the only team with any real chance to deal with is the Jets. He said the Jets were evaluating all 3 QB's this week, and they could potentially want to move to #1 to ensure they get their man, but said he felt like a trade would be a longshot, and most likely they will be staying at #1 and making thier choice. He said that potentially there could be some trade action with thier #2 and/or 2 #3's however, and felt like the chance of making trades involving those picks was much higher than the #1 pick.

He was also asked if their was unimanity among him, Kubiak, etc., in the choice at #1, and who will have the final say further along in the draft. CC said it is ultiumately his choice on who to take, but that he would not take someone the HC did not want that high, and really throughout the draft he would look for a consenus before selecting, but he would essentially be the tie-breaker. He stated no final decision had been made, and discussions were onging on who the best choice at #1 would be. Again though, there are only two players under consideration, end of story per CC.

12. done88

done88 Veteran

we know this is a lie. THe final say wil be one Mr Mcnair. If you don't think Kubiak has his ear you are wrong. Who ever is choosen will be unamious or it will be deicided by Mcnair and Dan.

13. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

Deion Sanders said to pick Vince (the hometown kid). What do you guys think about that?? I think it is pretty funny.:stirpot:

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I agree with Porky on the picks but agree with you on who has control. I think Casserly is the 3rd person on the list. I think Kubiak is being allowed to build his team an dgive his input. Dan is allegedly gone but around and McNair and Casserly have their say. Charlie is not the final say.

15. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

In hindsight, I don't think he was. I think the FO was just paying lip-service to his supporters.

Thinking back to Kubiak's interview...breaking down Reggie Bush tapes. I also kinda think Carr's extension was decided before Kubiak's interview.

Reggie Bush with the #1 pick has been a foregone conclusion since the loss at SF.

FWIW, if VY ever was given any consideration by the FO, his offseason "mishaps" have probably cost him. His workout at Reliant was just for show.

16. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

Anyone one who thought he (VY) was being seriously considered is kidding themselves. Casserly needs to begin talks with Bush's people and stop all of this BS. Someone needs to tell CC his poker face is no good.

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

OK, who are the two talents in the draft worth taking at #1? Not much sense pimping anyone else to try and get someone to move up for. The only others are the QBs and it would be stupid to try and throw those into the mix. If a QB team is jonesing for one and want their #1 guy they will move to the 2 spot. It also puts both player contracts into play. I doubt we move from the one, BUT we might take Mario IF, IF, IF there is a real significant dollar difference, otherwise, it's Reggie IMO.

18. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

So you wouldn't draft Bush because of money?

19. Betro

Betro Rookie

Three six won an oscar? Where have I been.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Thank you for the thorough review. I will happy with either, but still hope the Jets get in the mix and we take Mario or Hawk at #4.