Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Casserly basically confirms Young will not be a Texan

MorKnolle

All Pro
Did anyone else catch Casserly/McNair and company on ABC13 last night at 10:35? (I don't remember what the show is called but it is a weekly thing during the season). Casserly said they are going to re-sign Carr to his 3 year extension, and that they will not draft a QB if Carr is here. He said of course they'd listen to any trade offers for him but would only take something that gave them fair value, and I don't see anyone giving up more than a 2nd round pick for Carr, and that would definitely not make up for the loss of his talent and the ensuing $8 million cap hit. McNair said they are looking for playmakers (likely hinting at Bush, maybe a defensive playmaker like Mario Williams if he's looks like a Peppers-type DE) but will also evaluate trade offers and would be willing to trade down if a good enough deal was made. I personally think at least one team will make us a nice offer, but either way it is still a month before the combine and then pro days/workouts, so they will evaluate Bush and everyone else at that time and gather trade offers and see what they think the best option is for the team. I do not expect them to accept a trade until late March at the earliest (assuming they do even accept one) and I don't expect they'll announce who they are going to draft until they are on the clock on draft day.

Didn't McNair say that for them to trade it would have to be "the Godfather of all trades" or something like that?

tulexan said:
Didn't McNair say that for them to trade it would have to be "the Godfather of all trades" or something like that?

Yes he did. That makes it sound less likely they will trade down and that they will in fact take Bush, but at the same time there is a long time and a lot of scouting/work outs that will take place before then so maybe the Texans' grade on Bush will drop a little and other teams will offer a nice trade for him or the Texans new coach will decide he would rather fix up other problems instead of getting a RB (I had posted something last night about a history of Shanahan/Kubiak draft picks in Denver, it was on one of the threads in the Bull Pen, maybe the "Kubiak on Carr" or something like that and it showed that Denver never took a RB, or QB for that matter, in the 1st round and only took two RBs Portis and Bell, in the 2nd, and how they could turn later round RBs into effective runners etc.) It definitely sounds like the Texans are not going to get Young, but as for Bush there is a lot that will happen between now and the draft (first and foremost Bush has to declare, but I expect that will happen soon).

I still believe that a lot of teams don't view him as just a running back because of his versatility.

tulexan said:
I still believe that a lot of teams don't view him as just a running back because of his versatility.

He definitely presents a coach with many options, although for some teams/systems (e.g. Steelers that want powerful, pure RBs, not that they are in a position to take him anyways, but just an illustration) that may be a bit of a downside to him. We'll have to see who our new coach is and whether or not they can find a big enough role for him in our new offense to make it worth the pick and contract.

rhester said:
Draft Vince Young!

Can we please prevent people from creating multiple user names just to say the same garbage over and over again? Every day numerous of these user accounts are created and they post something like this on every thread available (either for Bush or Young) having never posted anything before, and then they are never heard from again. This is getting ridiculous.

Casserly doens't have the final say. If Kubiak decides he wants Vince, we'll get Vince. Plus, I think Bob McNair will get a pretty good idea of the financial boom that will be Vince Young over the next few months.

We're picking VY and the team will be better off for it. Bob McNair really has no choice if he wants to cement this team's place in Houston. It's like not drafting Earl Campbell. No one is that stupid.

tulexan said:

Now I know you don't follow Texas football. This ain't Shaun King we're talking about.

Wordem said:
Now I know you don't follow Texas football. This ain't Shaun King we're talking about.

And if you are trying to criticize Tulane football, why would you choose the one year that they were undefeated?

Back