Casserly and Mcnair: I would do it the same way all over again.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Porky, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Lucky likes this.
  2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Hell, nice to see the NY Times say we had a good draft.

Too bad Owen got no love.

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

If Mac wanted to make a difference with advertisements, he needed to do that when VY declared and not right before the draft. Before Carr's contract was re-upped.

Hell, I could have written a better ad for him than the junk he eventually used. You do an advertisement early, you are trying to make a difference. You do an advertisement after it is too late to make that a sensible choice, well then, you're just an attention ho.

After the Texans-Titans game, I walked up the stairs behind Mac and VY's mom who were sitting together in the middle of my section. bleh.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I could give a rat's arse about McIngvale's opinions, any more than I care about anyone else's perspective that is colored by blind allegiance to a school. I thought his full page ad was more arrogance than anything else, but that's just me and everyone is free to disagree (as one of his repeat customers, I do not feel out of line to say these things, either).

I've got no problem with our draft, and hindsight is always 20/20. It is good to see some national spin in a positive direction towards our team, though.

5. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

So TC ... write your Mattress Mac ad on letting Carr go FA.

Gallery Furniture says get rid of that old couch and QB .

Today at Gallery ... with your good credit you can buy a sectional to watch the Texans new QB , Vince Young .

To see Vince clearly you'll need a new plasma big screen TV ... that's right see Vince the hometown hero with your new living room ... and by cutting ways with Carr ... we will have an annual Vince sale which will SAVE YOU MONEY !!!

6. False Start

False Start On # 69

It is nice to see the Texans getting some national run . Mattress Mac has always annoyed me for some reason .

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I agree.. Besides, I thought he went to North Texas? I guess I had that wrong. However, I do have respect for Mac as it relates to things he does in and around our community as a whole, but that ad did smack of arrogance.

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

One thing about Mac is that everything he does is calculated to improve the size of his wallet and nothing else. He couldn't give two bits about charity unless it benefits him somehow. I used to work for a competitor and some of the things this guy did (as related to me by some former workers of his) would make many of you think twice about doing business with this guy. I personally can't stand him, and I wouldn't buy bottled water from him if I were stuck in the Mojave desert.

9. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

No, you had it right. Mac is Mean Green in more ways than one.

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Than I expect that Mac will take a full page out on this guy from his school:

Thursday, February 22, 2007
    Small School All-Star Performances
    Here are some notable small school players that were invited and/ or played in recent College All-Star games.

Dylan Lineberry is a 6-3 310 pound offensive guard from North Texas, and was a man among boys, he earned first team all-Sun Belt Conference honors after grading out as the team’s top offensive lineman in 10 of the 11 games last year. Lineberry started all 11 games at right guard and was an Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award candidate last year.

http://nfl-prospects.blogspot.com/

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The Texans have admitted what many here already knew a year ago, which was the real mistake was retaining Carr which also effectively made VY and the other QBs irrelavant.
    And as far as Bush vs. Mario, sometimes I think most of the NFLs football fans are dominated by Fantasy Leaguers who can't comphrehend the idea of taking any defensive player ahead of a high-scoring offensive weapon like Bush. Instead of being the consensus #2 best player in the Draft right behind Bush, you'd have thought the Texans were reaching for a total unknown who wasn't even rated on most teams top 50 Board by the outcry from many fans.
    The Texans first round choice was sound - in theory. Now "THIS YEAR" Mario has got to deliver on the field to validate that theory.

12. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I hope Mac refrains from that, but I'll give him some credit. He treathened to withdraw his latest donation ofter the university went back on it's word to name teh new athletic building after former coach Daryl Dickey, who has cancer I beleive. UNT kept the money and it's word.

:hothboy:

13. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I've heard stories that being an employee there is pretty much a nightmare. Miserable working conditions so he makes an extra nickel and dime.

14. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I thought the following was especially interesting.

Was anyone else aware of McNair's accessibility to fans?

15. So is this a confirmation that it was Casserly's pick. Or is Casserly just the ticket holder?

16. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Didn't Mac also say he would take his donation away from North Texas State if they fired there baskeball coach?

Mac is a screw ball and I noticed after he became a millionaire that his prices are not the lowest in Houston.

He helped create some of the angst against the team for its selection of Mario versus the selection of VY but he wont apologize for that and to me that is just as wrong as anything. At least McNair has the stones to sit in front of a mic and take it and be a man.

No I was not.

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I saw that, too, and it has crossed my mind to write him a nice letter of support (with my signature, of course). It would be cool to get a letter in return from an NFL owner, even if it's all rah-rah.

18. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

Sometimes it's hard to think about how long I've been away from my Houston roots. I do miss home.

Then, a thread references Mattress Mac, and I realize that Florida ain't that bad. Thanks, y'all!

NO newspaper ads. Good. Now, if he'd only promise to stop his TV ads....:cool:

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm glad you mentioned this. As it came out later, 8 of the 32 teams had Mario Williams ranked as the best player available at #1. So the Texans were certainly in the minority, but it wasn't as if they were out of their minds, like some posters like to assert. Furthermore, ZERO teams had VY rated as the top player available, and most didn't have him rated as the top QB available. So when people say, with hindsight, that the Texans should have taken VY #1 overall, I take such statements with a grain of salt (hell, a pitcher).

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Any guy who became a multi-millionaire selling furniture out of an oversized tent is selling drugs inside the couches. Sofa-sleeper mules.

Good article. Would have been better if Casserly wasn't quoted..same Charlie.