Cassel injury cheered - Eric Winston pissed after the game

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by toronto, Oct 7, 2012.

1. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

Following Sunday's game, Kansas City Chiefs OT Eric Winston gathered a few media folks around for an announcement regarding those fans who cheered when Matt Cassel was knocked out of the game.

Here is the whole statement:

"We are athletes, OK? We are athletes. We are not gladiators. This is not the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money when they come in here and I believe they can boo, they can cheer and they can do whatever they want, I believe that. We are lucky to play this game. People, it's hard to economic times, and they still pay the money to do this.

"But when somebody gets hurt, there are long lasting ramifications to the game we play, long lasting ramifications to the game we play. I've already kinda come to the understanding that I won't live as long because I play this game and that's OK, that's a choice I've made and a choice all of us have made.

Related: Matt Cassel injury video.

"But when you cheer, when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel -- it's sickening. It's 100 percent sickening. I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there.

"I get emotional about it because these guys, they work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn't done anything to you people, hasn't done anything to you people. Hasn't done anything to the media writers that kill him, hasn't done anything wrong to the people that come out here and cheer him. Hey, if he's not the best quarterback then he's not the best quarterback and that's OK. But he's a person. And he got knocked out in a game and we have 70,000 people cheering that he got knocked out?

"Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I'm doing a bad job. Say I gotta protect him more. Do whatever you want. Say whatever you want. But if you are one of those people, one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know, and I want everybody to know that I think it's sickening and disgusting. We are not gladiators and this is not the Roman Coliseum. This is a game.

"I'll sit here and I'll answer all your questions for the next 30 minutes if you want to ask them and I'll take all the responsibility I can take because I deserve it but don't blame a guy, and don't cheer for a guy who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans.

"It's sickening. And I was embarrassed. I want every single one of you people to put this on your station and in your newspapers because I want every fan to know that. This is a game that's going to cost us a lot down the road. That's OK. We picked it, we deserve it and I don't want your pity. But we have a lot of problems as a society if people think that's OK.

"I'll get off my soap box and you guys can ask any football question you want."

From Adam Schefter...

Hard to argue with the man.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I agreed with him up until this point:

Winston is right thats its pretty disgusting when people cheer an injury. Its terrible when fans cheer for an opponent to get injured, but its even worse when its your own team. This is an embarassing day to be a Chief's fan.

But why bring up the media bashing the guy? He sucks and he deserves the scrutiny. Its not ok that he's not the best quarterback when he's being paid millions of dollars to be the best.

3. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

They cheered the injury of one of their own players? Good grief. I cringe even when opposing team players get hurt. I have no words. Shame on Chiefs fans.

On another note, Eric seems to have found the media spotlight yet again, I see. lol. Good dude, but, man, he just loves cameras.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm guessing KC fans would have cheered the same cheer if head coach Crennel had pulled Cassel in favor of Brady Quinn.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault It's on me.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Those are some strong words.......words for any fans to step back and reassess their own feelings and actions when things like this happen. This game shouldn't be treated with the old Roman thumbs up or thumbs up. I would like to think that we have progressed somehow since the days when people revelled over the lions and Christians.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Maybe he feels the media has contributed toward the fans cheering the injury?

An indirect result of local media banging on the QB for so long that it has drummed up some serious animosity toward the QB?

I'm not saying I believe that, just that maybe in Winston's world he feels that way.

I knew a Chiefs fan awhile back, he was a pretty obnoxious guy. If their fan base was cheering the injury, then man oh man does that really open your eyes up about those folks. I don't recall that sort of reaction when Carr would get injured here. It sounds like the Chiefs fans really went off the deep end.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

While I agree with Winston on this subject,

I wish he would just shut up and do his job. He's too busy trying to set up his next career in the media after he's done with football. Instead of spending his time trying to improve his craft. I'm very happy the Texans got rid of him. Although I would've liked to see Rick trade him to K.C. rather than cutting him and allowing Winston to sign a new contract. (Getting a raise)

9. Playoffs

10. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

So you prefer offensive linemen not going to bat for their quarterback? Noted. Also Winston was much better than the fanbase gave him credit for. Look at YPC to the right before and after his departure. He deserved every dollar the Chiefs gave him.

11. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

Good for you Eric.

Well said.

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Boy does he! Lol!

13. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Did anyone see the play? Was it Winston who gave up the hit or sack?

14. macho grande

macho grande Veteran

Calm down Francis.

15. Playoffs

16. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

If your going to say it, say it right.

[​IMG]

17. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

I dont understand fans who would cheer somebody coming out of the game because of injury.....just wrong......

18. Quick II Draw

Quick II Draw Veteran

It looked like they were cheering:
    • The first down that Jamaal Charles got on the play
    • FOR Brady Quinn
    It wasn't a sack...there were extenuating circumstances...not exactly a stadium cheering a knocked-out QB

19. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Winston could've just said what you did and been just as effective. Instead he yaps and yaps. Chiefs fans that cheered Cassals injury are aholes. That's All he had to say.

20. macho grande

macho grande Veteran

Touche:)