Cass on CH.13

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexasJedi, Apr 30, 2006.

1. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

He was pretty passionate in defending Mario. He looked right into the camera, pointed to himself and said "Blame this guy right here", and something to the effect that I'll go to my grave defending this pick.

Perhaps the more interesting thing was his discussion of Bush. He talked about him not being on the field for much of the Rose Bowl, insinuating he is a part-time player. Perhaps there was more to the decision to take Mario than signability.

2. GhostRaider2006

GhostRaider2006 Veteran

Don't worry Charlie the whole city is lining up.

3. Well, which is it Casserly, does the coaching staff make the decisions or do you? You blamed the previous coaching staff for formulating the team and now you want all limelight on this 1st rounder? I can't ever tell the true story when this guy talks. He so arrogant it's disgusting and weighs very thin win the fans.

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

CC himself said that they were both signable. They took a football decision and decided on Mario. It wasn't about the money. It was about the team.

5. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Well what I meant was that they may not have been as high on Bush as we were lead to believe.

6. Texandiver

Texandiver Veteran

Bob Allen just asked CC if he was going to be back this year. CC said he doesn't know. He'll be having a meeting with Bob McNair soon. Also said reports about him taking a league office job are wrong.

7. GhostRaider2006

GhostRaider2006 Veteran

Yeah and NFL front offices have never put a spin on their explanations to avoid critiscim before.:rolleyes:

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Casserly has said that he had graded Julius Peppers and graded Mario Williams, and Mario graded out higher. If the draft staff really believed that, well then, they did the right football thing. The right thing, even though Williams didn't play in the spotline like the glamour picks.

I think the thing that CC is really doing now is urging the fans to support Mario and not to blame the player for being picked. A lot of people might want to vent their frustration on the player, but the player can't help where he is picked.

And I agree with him on this point. Go Mario! :redtowel:

9. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

Good pick in Mario...Bush will be great...but only for half a game.

10. swisher

swisher Old School

Most interesting thing he said, other than his very passionate plea to not blame Mario, was his description of Bush.

(Paraphrasing here)

Casserly said:

"Reggie Bush was a part time player in college.

Look back at the Rose Bowl, a game alot of people here in Houston remember clearly obviously. Reggie Bush wasn't on the field for half the game. You have to ask yourself, why wasn't he? You need to take that question and analyize it further.

When Earl Campbell played here in Houston he played the entire game. He wasn't a part time player. It's hard to justify paying a guy 9 million dollars a year to play 15 snaps a game.

When you have a great running back and a great defensive end, you take the defensive end. I make that pick 10 times out of 10 and I'll defend that pick for the rest of my career.

Reggie Bush is a great running back. We'll see how he does in New Orleans. We bet on our guy, and in the end I know we made the right choice."

And maybe I'm trying to read way too much into this, but I was struck at the tone of his voice throughout, but especially when he said "We'll see how he does in New Orleans" like he somehow knows he's not going to turn out the way people think he is.

I almost get the impression that people on the inside of the organization were fighting for Williams the entire time, and something happened thursday night to finally convince McNair not to pick Bush. What exactly that was, we may never know.

11. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

I'll say this, I like the fire our FO is showing in this whole ordeal. Nothing skittish at all, I like that.

12. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

If he doesn't get the job with the league, will this draft make or break him?

13. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

He picked the Rose Bowl as an example because that was a game most people could relate to. He said you don't pay a guy $9mill a year to be used part-time...Mario will give you every down. This is the 1st time he has used negative reasoning for not taking Bush. I thought the reasoning was nothing more than addressing the defensive side of the ball. Now Cass. seems to be going into his own defensive mode after getting a whiff of the vibe in Houston.

In essence it was a finacial decision because they want to pay big $ for an every down guy. If they believe Bu$h was used soley as a part-time player in college then maybe they have convinced themselves that he may become injury prone in the NFL...

14. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

I actually agree w/ Casserly here. Mario seems like a humble person. Hopefully the humble DE runs roughshod over the opposing teams and Vince. YEAH I SAID IT. WHAT???!!!!! Still got love for you VY, but you took it there in wanting to beat up on the Texans. It's all good.

15. GhostRaider2006

GhostRaider2006 Veteran

Unfortunatley they have to be this way. If they don't act like this they will get steamrolled and they know it. If they show any fear or dissension in the ranks they will get eaten alive.

16. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

Well I've seen in the past other FO's that haven't been so gung ho in these matters.

17. swisher

swisher Old School

After watching Casserly tonight, there were no reservations in his voice about this pick. I have no doubt that he thinks they did the right thing.

Even though he HAD to know this was coming, he seems pretty ticked off at the backlash from fans.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I think they mostly made the decision after Bush visited Houston. I don't think that visit went well. Check out this account:

Link: Yahoo Sports

Then the very next day, they get Mario Williams to Houston.

The Texans couldn't say the visit with Bush went unwell that because they didn't want to derail any trade up suitors but I never got the feeling that Bush was in love with the Texans and vice versa, the way it should have been since Bush was in the media's eyes "the consensus #1 pick" and we had the first pick and wheelbarrows full of money.

If you know you are the first pick and you really want to go to that city, you sell yourself like crazy to the locals. Bush never did that.

Here's an example and some inadvertant humor given his parent's house situation:

Reggie Chat Link

He says "Thanks." Not "Yeah, I've heard great things about Houston and blah blah blah. Perfect opportunity to say something nice about the city. If you look to the rest of the chat, he says nicer stuff about his favorite cartoon character and the potential of having a career modeling.

Just thinking out loud.

19. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Casserly said in one interview he called Wednesday morning and Wednesday afternoon and then Thursday morning asking about Bush's problems with the house. They broke off negoiations Thursday afternoon. That's a lot of telephone calls for someone who is not worried.

I think they smelled something was wrong and I believe they are correct. So when you have a close decision and a lot of money invested you are worried about risk. It became very simple, because it looked like the risk was rising rapidly if they took Bush. I think the background of what started to appear scared McNair. I don't think they liked the gang affiliations part of the story. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

I think they began to see that Bush was about Bush, not the team. Everyone that has appeared before the camera has talked about the Team and that has been a major emphasis of Kubiaks. Therefore no one should be surprised and I think the next few weeks are going to explode in the wrong way for Bush. We did not need that nor did McNair and company want that.

There's all kinds of spin to try to not hurt Bush any more than he has been. But I really think the above is the reality of the situation.

20. swisher

swisher Old School

There really does seem to be more to this than meets the eye. I don't know, thinking out loud here too. Maybe it's me trying to rationlize the pick.

But ever since friday night when Williams was announced as the pick, something felt wrong about the whole thing. Not just the pick, but how quickly things turned.

If they had wanted Williams all along, then what was the point of even talking with Reggie's people? To drive the price down on Williams? Or was it because up until Thursday afternoon he was their guy?

I'm telling you, something spooked them.