Carr with bonus is $13.25 M this year?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Is this right or is somebody spooking me? Is it like $5.25 M for the year and 1/3 of the 8 M bonus, ie $7.85 M this year? One of you capologists re-explain this, please.

2. Rovator

Rovator Veteran

the 7.85m is closer. The bonus is divided by the # of years for the cap hit.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Carr's cap number for '06 is about $7.25 million. $5.25 mil in salary + $2 mil in bonus allocation. The Texans were able to push $2 million of the option bonus onto the '05 cap.

4. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

Wow is that tom brady tupe of money:stirpot: hey david is worth every penny.

5. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

BTW Tom Brady got a $60+ million deal, so Carr is no where near his kind of money (or Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Michael Vick, and probably a couple others).

6. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Nor should he be.

7. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

yeah, well... he isn't...

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

With this extension, Carr is now on his way to fulfilling his original base deal of 7 years - 46 million, not including those mysterious not-often-publicized and difficult to identify incentives which could bring the total value closer to $60 million.

Carr's contract is not that much different from Eli's and Alex Smith's. Their contracts are slightly higher because of higher bonuses and salary creep over the two or three years that passed between when Carr was drafted in '02 and when they signed their deals. So if you're playing the "which two don't belong" game in the list above it would be Eli and Alex, mainly because they are still early in their rookie deals.

Guys like Peyton, Culpepper, Palmer, McNabb and Vick signed mega extensions that put them on an entirely different level, although Carr actually made more money than Vick in their respective first three years of their contracts.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Car gets his $5.5 mil salary, + his $8 million bonus this year. the Texans will pay him $13.5 million to play this year. That is Brady/McNabb/Manning kinda money, but he'll only get that this year. Next year, he will play for $6 million, or something like that. Cap wise, they spread the bonus out over 4 years, including 2005, since they reserved $2million of cap space precisely for this reason.

But yes, this year, Carr will get a $13.5 million Dollar check to play Quarterback.

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

No, he'll actually get half the bonus now, the rest in the '07 offseason.

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Not true. He will get $5.5 + 4 = 9.5 this year and the other 4 next year (07).

I THINK the team for cap purposes, is able to expense 2 mill on the 05 cap and spread the rest out over the next 3 years, so basicaly a 2 mill cap hit each year for the extension. Good money, but nowhere near Payton Manning and Tom Brady type of dollars. In fact it's a bit less than Alex Smith and Eli Manning are getting under their contracts.

12. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

Aren't at leat a couple of those QB's on their 2nd contract, which was based upon some sort of merit they actually earned?

13. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Yep, Daunte, Donavon, Alex Smith and Mike Vick really put up some numbers...

14. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

mike vick wins games....if you want to debate this again, feel free....but you'll have to wait, im watching him QB in the probowl right now.

15. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

him being in the pro bowl is just as debatable as his play. but youll hear nothing from me since my mind is made up.

:deadhorse

16. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

You beat me to it, Mike Vick really didn't deserve to go to the Probowl and if he played in the AFC he certainly wouldn't be going. As we speak he just threw a INT.

17. Mathis13

Mathis13 Veteran

What is Mike vick doing in the pro bowl... I think he's just widely popular. His stats are unimpressive if you look at the passing stats, but he is exciting to watch. I am totally shocked that Carr's bonus is that big... he hasnt proven anything yet, if he really is taht bad then this could kill our team down the road

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

How exactly does someone get into the ProBowl??

Does it have anything to do with votes from Fans, Coaches, and Players?? Or is it strictly stat driven??

Look, you may not like what Michael Vick does, but if you don't think he helps his team win, play's solid football, and is entertaining to boot, then you should understand you are in the minority. Your opinion is totally against the Majority of coaches, players, and fans.....

Not exactly the same as having an opinion different from Dan Reeves... Charlie Casserly.... Bob McNair... & Gary Kubiak.... but just as wrong, in the same manor.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

This probowl has been a snore fest so far

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

When he's allowed to run around he helps his team win, but his legs can only carry him so far and as each year passes he is going to be asked to become more of a QUARTERBACK and pass the ball. He has to start winning games with his arm.