Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cards set Leonard Davis free

canadiantexan

Waterboy
I just read that the Cardinals will not franchise or transition tag Davis but will let him test the free agent market. He played guard his first couple years but was then moved to left tackle(2004). He was the second overall pick behind Mike Vick in 2001 and has started 91 straight games for Arizona. Should we look into picking him up or do you feel he does not fit into our system(zone blocking). I think if the price is descent we should give it a shot.

I just read that the Cardinals will not franchise or transition tag Davis but will let him test the free agent market. He played guard his first couple years but was then moved to left tackle(2004). He was the second overall pick behind Mike Vick in 2001 and has started 91 straight games for Arizona. Should we look into picking him up or do you feel he does not fit into our system(zone blocking). I think if the price is descent we should give it a shot.

He's something like 6'6" and 360... That doesn't fit the description of the prototypical zone blocking lineman...
He also hasn't really panned out very well in 'Zona as far as I know...

Nope! Too big and too slow for ZB system. Remember, Arizona had one of the worst, if not the worst, O-lines in the NFL last year, and they're letting Davis go. That should tell you something. :hmmm: JMHO!

Davis is the biggest name in OL free agancy this season and some team is going to pay him good money.

I just hope that team isn't the Texans.

He's something like 6'6" and 360... That doesn't fit the description of the prototypical zone blocking lineman...
He also hasn't really panned out very well in 'Zona as far as I know...

.....More like 6'8" and closer to 400 pounds. I have heard motivation is a big issue with Leonard, as well as staying at playing weight which would be the afore mentioned 360. I personally think that the several times I have watched Davis, he moved pretty well in my opinion. Due to his size he doesn't fit the "Kubiak" style lineman we all hear Gary is looking for, but I think Leonard would look good on the Texans line. JMO.

http://www.gbnreport.com/ - Cards to let LT walk… Arizona has reportedly told LT Leonard Davis that the team won't be naming him a franchise or transition player. That would make Davis, the second player taken overall at the 2001 draft, an unrestricted free agent when the NFL signing period starts on March 2nd. Teams have until Thursday to use the franchise and transition tags. Meanwhile, with Davis all-but gone, the Cardinals will be in need of a new left tackle. In fact, Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas is likely the player the Cardinals would love to get with the 5th pick overall this year, however, its unlikely that Thomas will last that long.

guess the thought process here?

1. wait to see if Thomas slides to them @ #5 (risky, if in fact he is their man).
2. trade up to get Thomas (costly).
3. target Levi Brown (over one month ago in my Mock had him going to Tampa).
4. none of the above (just let the immobile Leinart become another used Carr).

A lot of people are under the impression that Leonard Davis is good. Cards fans hate him, or at least the Cards fans I know. Keep in mind, folks around the league think David Carr is good.

I don't think this was much ofa suprise to anyone that this was going to happen. Maybe they are going to make a run at pettigout or a tackle in round 2. I think they are ina bit worse position on the oline then us. So the bigger question in my mind is...who are going to be be davis' suitors?

Leonard is not a good fit at LT but he can be good OG. Leonard is too big and too slow to react to quicker pass rushers.

Davis should either be a guard or a RT, BUT he doesn't belong here because he isn't athletic enough. I think he needs to go to a team that is a straight ahead mauling type of blocking scheme, not a team with a lot of pulls.

Leonard is a former Longhorn & was the 2nd overall pick in the 2001 draft. He would have been owed something like 11 million if franchised, so the Cards released him based on performance, scheme & ability to be aggressive in the offseason. “We have needs at multiple positions, as well as for depth, and we want to be in the best position us to address those needs,” said Whisenhunt. I doubt they find a better tackle via free agency so its almost a lock they take one in the draft. Thomas will not make it past Arizona & Levi Brown should also get a hard, long look with the 5th pick. Leonard is similar in size to Texans Charles Spencer & natural position in Guard.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1551

OK here's a thought ... maybe it was just to hot for his big butt .

Maybe if he played in a cooler climate , which is anywhere but Arizona he'd be more energetic .

Davis should either be a guard or a RT, BUT he doesn't belong here because he isn't athletic enough. I think he needs to go to a team that is a straight ahead mauling type of blocking scheme, not a team with a lot of pulls.

what is all this crap that no FA fit the all mighty texans "system" The very same "system" that David Carr,Jason Babin,Travis johnson,Dunte Robinson(hes good but wasent worth that high of a pick) etc fit perfectly in. You know what texans fans, screw your system it obviously sucks..Why dont you go out of the box and be open to signing davis,or someone else that doesnt play on the broncos. I dont hate the texans I actully want them to perform well,and see them go to the playoffs, But lets see you guys dont want someone who has ever gotten into trouble,You dont want anyone old,You dont want good offensive lineman, you want ones that are athletic and cant block. Its okay to go out and try to find some people that you like and think fits your system but dont be afraid to go out of the box and instead of getting a crappy jake plummer, get a Qb that is more talented but you dont think fits your system (matt shaub). You have got talent to build around Mario,Demeco,Andre,Owen etc you just need some people to help them out.

lmao @ calling davis a bust. if a player goes to a team no one watches and doesnt go to multiple pro bowls, he is automatically considered a bust.

Load his big butt on the first plane to houston. He can stay at Carr's place.

Put him at RT, and let him maul anyone on that side.

So he cant seem to keep up with that quick pass rushing end? Then run the ball behind him until that DE gets the idea.

Or give him some help with a TE that chips the end. Its not that hard. But we need his help.

what is all this crap that no FA fit the all mighty texans "system" The very same "system" that David Carr,Jason Babin,Travis johnson,Dunte Robinson(hes good but wasent worth that high of a pick) etc fit perfectly in. You know what texans fans, screw your system it obviously sucks..Why dont you go out of the box and be open to signing davis,or someone else that doesnt play on the broncos. I dont hate the texans I actully want them to perform well,and see them go to the playoffs, But lets see you guys dont want someone who has ever gotten into trouble,You dont want anyone old,You dont want good offensive lineman, you want ones that are athletic and cant block. Its okay to go out and try to find some people that you like and think fits your system but dont be afraid to go out of the box and instead of getting a crappy jake plummer, get a Qb that is more talented but you dont think fits your system (matt shaub). You have got talent to build around Mario,Demeco,Andre,Owen etc you just need some people to help them out.
Uh, when I compare Kubiak's NFL resume with yours, I decide to go with his system. No offense though.

A lot of people are under the impression that Leonard Davis is good. Cards fans hate him, or at least the Cards fans I know. Keep in mind, folks around the league think David Carr is good.

I think that may be a new record! The first response in a "non DC" thread actually gravitated to a DC bashing in the first reply!

Um, why does everyone automatically think that because we have Kubiak, we will be running the ZBS?

Lets recap:

Sherman is hired OL coach: He does not run ZBS
Charles Spencer is drafted to be our franchise LT: He is 6-5, 351
Little to no ZBS in season: I for one don't remember seeing the ZBS being run at all during the season

We may not want Davis here, but it isn't going to be because he's 360 pounds. We drafted a big guy in Spencer, and as long as Davis can move well, there shouldn't be some weight limitation put on him.

lmao @ calling davis a bust. if a player goes to a team no one watches and doesnt go to multiple pro bowls, he is automatically considered a bust.

Yeah--crazy, I mean who would consider a #2 overall pick who the team doesn't even take a stab at retaining a bust? Let's add him to the long list of top 5 picks whose team gleefully let them go like...help me out here, I am drawing a blank.

Back