Cardinals Stadium/Grass

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TEXANS84, Jun 24, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

So what do you guys think of Arizona's new stadium's grass system?

If you notice in the picture below, the stadiums grass will "roll out" in between games to achieve the maximum growing process:

[​IMG]

But, it eliminates an entire endzone of possible seating:

[​IMG]

So the question is: Would you sacrifice one side of the stadium, just so the grass stays in perfect shape? Or would you rather it be like Reliant where the grass in December becomes sub-par...but you still have a complete "bowl" stadium?

2. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

It would seem to me that there would be a way where you could roll out a section of endzone seating even if it is only a lower level. Maybe have it on a large roller system similar to the field. Obviously I'm no engineer so I'm probably babbling on about nothing.

I think I prefer the Reliant option since it allows us to have the complete "bowl" stadium. If worse comes to worse we could always switch to field turf. I, for one, don't mind seeing a worn in football field as the season winds down.

3. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I'd rather have the seating (but the Cards never sell out games anyways)

4. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

Actually I think you do have a good idea except only problem I can see is that in the pictures theres a wall right there that would block it, but if not roll it maybe they could somehow instead lift the seats up and have the field roll out.

5. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

I find it ironic that the desert dwellers in Maricopa County desire a natural grass stadium floor to begin with. The landscaping of choice around Phoenix and Scottsdale is cacti and palms and sand and rocks. .. maybe it's the intrigue of looking at something 'different' .... and GREEN.

(I lived about 1 ¾ miles from the new stadium location)

6. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Actually, I think that's a cool idea. Arizona, as someone mentioned, probably don't need the seats anyway, but if it were in a stadium like ours, maybe there'd be a way for the field to be lowered first then rolled out underneath the stadium??

I can't believe that when designing Reliant, they didn't factor in the sunlight on the field. Unless they invest in about 3 fields of grass, I woudn't be surprised to see Field Turf in the near future. The field at the end of last year was an embarrassment as far as how it looked. And I want my blue endzones back.

7. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Nice question 84. . . I'm not sure. I'd love to have the actual system because it's so cool, but at the same time, It would be odd to be missing an entire section of the crowd.

Of course if we could have both, that would be the best option!

8. Beer and Metal

Beer and Metal Buzzed Cacophony

Have you guys seen those automated sprinklers that roll down rows of crops? Couldn't that be done with grow-lights at Reliant? Just have them roll back and forth, endzone to endzone?

9. gcolby

gcolby Veteran

Two words: "Red trees"????

10. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

It will sit 63,000 seats and can expand to 73,000. That's plenty for Arizona games. I would imagine the expansion is for the Fiesta Bowl, possible Super Bowls and when Dallas is in town. :D

11. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

.. and when Mexico is in the house ... they want to lure our neighbors to the South away from the Cowboys .. :D

remember this? :offtopic
    http://www.azcentral.com/my/zage_co...626.html&uid=57d77a71bca0e078cdb84c339b74af18

12. swisher

swisher Old School

Reliant's turf was ranked 4th best by NFL players last year. I think they've done pretty good with it.