Capers up at Wisconsin today...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by texansfan88, Mar 9, 2005.

1. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

Probably looking at Erasmus James (DE), Anttaj Hawthorne (DT), Jonathon Clinkscale (OG), and Dan Buenning (OG)

2. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I like Antajj, I dont think that James really fits our defense. Hawthorne would add quality depth until he became good enough to start.

3. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Hawthorne can play NT

4. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

AH was online today but signed off b4 i could type anything to see if capers was checking him out...i'll shoot him an email and see if he responds

5. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Yeah, but if we draft him do you think he will come in and get the starting position. I think it might take at least until mid season for him to learn the 3-4 well enough to take the starting spot from Payne. :hmmm:

6. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

since we re-signed payne and he is expected to contribute for a few more years, i would think the drafting of hawthorne would be to groom him as a possible replacement for payne :thumbup

7. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

I agree with jrock. If the Texans draft Hawthorne (or any other NT) Payne will still be the starter for the next year or two. It takes guys a while to adjust to playing NT in the NFL, even if they are drafted in the first round. Even though he wouldn't start, a rookie NT will get plenty of playing time rotating with Payne to keep both of them fresh.

8. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I think Hawthorne could possibly be a DE for us. and could replace Walker as the starter if he still hasnt fully recovered from his injuries.

9. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

agreed as well. i just looked up some stats and, at 6'3 - 305lbs, mr hawthorne would be more suited (sizewise) as an end in our 3-4. whoever we draft as a first day DL, i expect to give the front three regular breaks next season. it'll be their trial by fire and hopefully extend payne/walker's career's as productive texans! so much upside is making me dizzy... :shocked :woot :thumbup

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Gotta remember, there's really not that much difference between the profile
    of a guy playing NT vs. DE in the 3-4 as compared to the > differences between DE & DT in the 4-3. In the 3-4, both positions are basically tackle types.

11. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

hmm well when payne goes down this year again, which i know he will than we'll have somebody to replace him :)

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Hawthorne weighed in at 317 lbs at the Senior Bowl, 321 lbs at the combine. He's big enough to play anywhere along the 34 line.

14. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

Jonathan Welsh (wisconsin DE) ran a 4.5 at the combine. Could he be looking at another 3-4 LB?

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Youngstown, you may be right! I've been doing some research on these fellows @ Wisconsin and Jonathan Welch jumped out at me like TORO the bull. Right now I'm going on record (Vinny keeps track of these damn things) its a toss up who do the Texans select in the 4th rd, Jonathan Welch or Jonathan Goddard? one things for sure his first name will be Jonathan :heh:

When (Erasmus) James was scratched from the lineup in '03 Jonathan Welsh filled in nicely at defensive end for the Badgers, recording eight sacks and 11 tackles for loss.

At 6-foot-3 and 244 pounds, Welsh projects as outside linebacker at the NFL level. He impressed at the combine with a 40-yard dash time of 4.58 seconds.

Welsh played right defensive end for Wisconsin's top-ranked scoring defense last fall.

Welsh and defensive tackle Jason Jefferson, another UW draft prospect, were All-Big Ten honorable mention picks.

16. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

It was well documented that Wisconsin had a very good D-line last year. But I've always wondered if Jason Jefferson was overshadowed by guys like Hawthorne. He has a NFL type body (6'5" 310)

If he doesn't go on the first day, someone will be getting a very good day 2 pickup.

17. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

Hmm where is AH slated to be drafted this year?

18. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

:hmmm: I think Welsh could be a good 4th round pick-up if Anthony Bryant is off the board...

19. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Late 1st, early 2nd at the latest...He may be a trade up/down candidate...

20. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

If Hawthorne impresses Capers big time, could we be trading down from and drafting mucho lineman in later rounds this year?