Capers Take On The Game

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texasguy346, Aug 23, 2004.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Found this article on ESPN.com's news wire. Thought that everyone would be interested in Coach Capers' thoughts on the game.

ESPN Wire

2. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

I hope this isn't meant as Hollings did not try hard enough or that he failed in the coach's eyes. Yeah, it wasn't a good night for him, but I think the O-line needs to handle a part of that criticism as well.

The few times he was able to get behind Norris through the middle seemed like a pretty good run. Don't recall too many outside runs (those I do seemed like there was a defensive player there to stop him) where he's supposed to excel more than DD.

3. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

On Inside the game, Casserly showed one play deep in our part of the field where Hollings could have gotten 20 yards and maybe even a TD, but the only problem was the backside blocking was horrible so the guys from the backside got to Hollings before he could cut upfield. I think Capers knows that it wasnt Hollings...

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I saw that as well. The Steelers we slanting so hard on every play. They were begging to be hit on a reverse or counter, but the Texans only ran one. And it hit big. Capers never likes to show his cards in preseason and it's paid off in 2 opening day wins. You have to believe (at least I have to believe) that the Texans have stuff in their playbook to counter what the Steelers were doing.

Think of this game as a stress test where the O-line was asked to execute under the most adverse situations. If their technique and intensity had been what it should have been, the results would have been different. I really think we'll see a better performance this week against Denver.

5. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

I could not help but notice that a defender seemed to meet Hollings behind the line on most running plays. There were not any holes. More play-action and counter plays would have helped. The OL will have to improve on running plays for us to win a majority of the games. DC is great, but the running game is essential and I think Hollings is really going to be good by week 10-12. I sure hope he is looking like LT by the end of the year. I won't hold my breath though. :)

6. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

Capers knows how to do it, he had NFL Network replay of Texans Steelers game according to Carlton Thompson of the Chronicle...as Carlton put it..."reason Texans might have had a hard time digesting was lunchtime entertainment"