Capers stay or go post .500

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansTrueFan, Aug 25, 2005.

?

capers stay or go

1. Stay

77 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. Go

27 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

if we dont make the play-offs or have a +.500 record how many would like to see Capers Stay with the Texans Or them let him go.

2. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Making the playoffs would be great but it isn't my standard for whether he's still here. I'd like a winning record, and I want there to be significant progress on the offense and for the defense to come together with all the new pieces. I think if we make any rash decisions just because we miss the playoffs and go 8-8 or something like that, we will just be asking for a few more years of mediocrity as a new coach comes in and rebuilds the team.

3. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

i agree i think he's a great coach, its just with all the "fire" threads at the end of the season, i just wanted to see peoples opinion now and then after the season.

4. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Capers stays if we have a nice season and could if we dont.

See: Cleveland Browns.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

Unless we absolutely tank (which I doubt we will), Capers will be here one more year at the least.

The guy has taken a raw expansion team and has increased our wins each season. Just because we're not in the playoffs doesn't mean we're a horrible team.

If he can't get us to the playoffs in the next couple of years...then I think we'll see some activity by the front office. But this season can't be much of a make-or-break seaosn for Capers after what he's done thus far.

That's my two cents.

6. Texas_Heat

Texas_Heat Veteran

Capers stays if they go 7-9 or better.

7. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

Does no one believe in the five year plan anymore? I want a winning season as much as the next fan, but seriously, give the man his time.

8. Diehardtexan

Diehardtexan Veteran

Are you people posting just for the heck of it? The season hasn't even started yet and you are posting to see if Caper stay or go. Give it up. :brickwall

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Couldnt agree more , This team is at least 3 - 4 players away from a serious play-off contender ...

LT .... They MUST get someone tp protect Carr's blindside , i Highly doubt this player is on the roster now , ive heard enough about Wands potential . Its time to get a quality player either in the draft or Free agency .

Someone to put some heat on the opponent's QB be it a lineman or LB . For all those who think Antwan Peek is the answer here .... he's got a grand total of 3 sacks in the past two years with the Texans and predominantly see's action on passing downs ..... has looked pretty poor this pre-season in the pass rushing department . His cover skills and ability to contain the outside are seriously suspect .
    Jason Babin had a decent rookie season but wasnt the be all end all pass rushing monster that Casserly and Capers made him out to be . He does play the run fairly well and has decent cover skills .

WR .... The really need someone to take some of the pressure off of Andre Johnson . Cory Bradford IS NOT the answer . Gaffney is a solid #3 ... Kendrick Starling , LaTarence Dunbar , Sloan Thomas , Devin Pitts , Reggie Swinton , Jerome Mathis , Kevin Kasper , Donovan Morgan .... could one of these guy's be the answer ?

TE ..... They have a need for a TE who can both block well and catch the ball not just one or the other . Its possible that Matt Murphy could be that guy ..... we'll have to wait and see .

Overall the Texans have good talent at most positions but just not enough to make them serious play off contenders . Capers should get another year or two to build this team . It falls upon Him and Casserly to upgrade their weaknesses ...7-9 would be a reasonable record for this team .

10. Crank_It_Up

Crank_It_Up Veteran

Capers should stay even if we finish with a 6 - 10 record. I do however expect to see the defense improve as the season goes on. Hopefully they will slowly gel into a better than average defense by season's end.

With a few changes on the offense for next season, we could easily make the playoffs. Patience is a virtue.

:texflag:

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm sooo glad to hear someone else mention the "5 Year Plan". Besides, IMO, McNair didn't get to be a billionaire by making knee-jerk reactions. He's in this for the long haul and the standard to which all other NFL owners should be held to.

12. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

I'm a big fan of stability... the last NFL expansion team coach in Texas didn't get to .500 until the team's sixth year.... went on to have a pretty good run after that.

I vote he gets 5 years no matter what.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Just look at what he did in Carolina when he had the players to execute his system , he took them to the NFC champoinship game in the second year .... That was a veteran filled team built on free agency ... sure they got to the play-off's in a hurry but what happened to that team the following year when it was basicly torn apart by salary cap troubles .They were a BAD team for several years after that ..... From the Houston texans site ...http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches_detail.php?PRKey=49

Who wants to go thru 4-12 again ?

I like how they are building the team thru the draft . In this day and age with the salary cap there isnt any better way to build a long term competitive team than what Capers and Casserly have done .

Long gone are the days when the 49'ers and Cowboys go out and buy champoinship rosters thru free agency without paying for it severly in the long term . :texflag:

14. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

He will get one more year, and if they don't make the playoffs next year. Capers will be gone. But I believe he will be here for at least one more.

15. scourge

scourge Digression King

if we go 5-11 or worse, he may go... but I doubt that'll happen. If he did, I'd like to see him stay on as our defensive coordinator.

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Good idea, but it'll never happen. Capers is gonna lead us to the Promised Land. At least that's what the Kickin' Chicken is tellin' me.

17. Davis37

Davis37 All Pro

Couldnt have said it better myself. I agree with everything you said. :cool:

18. TexHorns

TexHorns Veteran

Capers should stay. He is a smart guy. He has had some problems with the oline because of boselli and joppru but besides that he and casserly have done a great job in there first few years. He hasnt had any major mistakes or bad calls so IMO he stays. I couldnt expect anyone to do a better job given the time frame. IMO people have to look at what a coach has to work with and the situation that they are in before they can judge what they are capable of. Until I can find some reason that capers is at fault then I will have capers back all the way. I am a little drunk so I hope I am making sense?

19. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Here is my opinion, I dont think capers has anything to worry about. I think the real person on the hot seat is going to be our D coordinator. With as much speed and youth and all the draft picks over the last few years for the D to once again have the fewest sacks and finish middle of the pack that will be unacceptable.

But then again I grew up in the Glanville/Buddy Ryan years where our D played like they had a pair.

20. fingers5

fingers5 Rookie

The man should get one more season as long as we do not see any more games like the Cleveland debacle. That was an absolute embarrasment. The only coaches who should REALLY be on the hot seat are Palmer and 'O'Line