Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Capers on the hot seat

"3. Dom Capers, Texans (16-32 in three seasons with Houston) - The Texans have made slow and steady improvement in their first three years of existence, from 4-12 to 5-11 to last year's 7-9, but anything less than a prominent place in the playoff picture could spell the end of Capers' tenure in Houston. In a division that includes the Colts and up-and-coming Jaguars, the head coach has a tall order."
That's probably true, but don't think its news to any of us on this board.
Assuming no key injuries, if we have a W-L record no better than last year
and end the season on a real sour note like the Clevland game of last year,
fans here in Houston will be frustrated and very upset. Depends on the circumstances though and things will happen this season no one will anticipate.

I think the Texans needs to start playing with some characteristics of a Caper's coached team which means getting sacks on the QB. If the team doesn't start to play to the supposed strengths of the coach then I'm sure Casserly and McNair will start thinking hard about bringing someone else in.

I was thinking about this last night. Anything less than 8-8 or 9-7 and someone is going to lose their job. That record still might not save Palmers job as he will likely be the scapegoat if things don't work out.

Sports Network's List (without the lengthy comments)
1. Norv Turner, Raiders
2. Jim Haslett, Saints
3. Dom Capers, Texans
4. Steve Mariucci, Lions
5. Mike Martz, Rams
6. Mike Tice, Vikings
7. Mike Holmgren, Seahawks
8. Mike Shanahan, Broncos
9. Lovie Smith, Bears
10. Mike Sherman, Packers

Capers is safe after this season, although some assistants could be on the hot seat

My List (with short witty comments)
1. Norv Turner, Raiders - Terrible coach with impatient owner
2. Mike Martz, Rams - Proof of the theory that people rise to their level of incompetence
3. Jim Haslett, Saints - Needs to get in the playoffs but is in a division with the Falcons and Panthers
4. Mike Shanahan, Broncos - The "genius" label is wearing thin
5. Jeff Fisher, Titans - Bud Adams is the owner
6. Mike Holmgren, Seahawks - Needs to win a playoff game
7. Jon Gruden, Bucs - Chucky is in Jim Haslett's shoes but has won a Super Bowl
8. Mike Sherman, Packers - A bad 05 might mean a new QB and coach in 06
9. Mike Tice, Vikings - New owners and high expectations, but a strong team in a weak division and conference
10. Bill Parcells, Dallas - A bad season won't get him fired, but he may be asked to "resign"

Lets see something now the practice is over and its time to win no excuses I think he should go if we dont reach the playoffs especially after last season a few of those games looked very uninspired I prefer a team with some fight in it and that takes a leader so the talk should be over either win this year and get to the playoffs or go away. :brickwall

Capers and the FO have built this team from the ground up. It takes time. A little improvement over three years is better to me than no improvement or taking steps back in three years. Look at teams like the 49er's and Dolphins who have been around for a lot longer and did much worse last season. We have added youth and speed to the defense in the offseason and the O line has a full year playing together. I have a feeling we are going to get a little deeper into the playbooks this season on both sides of the ball and I am expecting a lot of good things this season. Capers on the hot seat, not IMO, only way I see Capers on the hotseat if we fail to make it to 8-8 or 9-7 this season, then maybe he'll be on the hotseat.

In that article the writer named 15 coaches...that's right at half the league. Gotta love the risky way he stepped way out on a limb like that.
BornOrange said:
My List (with short witty comments)

2. Mike Martz, Rams - Proof of the theory that people rise to their level of incompetence
I think the Peter principle blast was the best.

That's how I have always thought of both Martz and Turner as head coaches. Actually, I don't think Turner was a good coordinator either. He just got a lot of acclaim for coaching Smith, Irvin, Novacek, and Aikman with a huge offensive line. Under a great head coach. Any offensive coordinator would succeed in that situation.

Vinny said:
In that article the writer named 15 coaches...that's right at half the league. Gotta love the risky way he stepped way out on a limb like that.
And he still didn't include JDR? Please, that guy is one stupid move from the "chopping block".

Here's why I think Capers belongs on the list. Dom is heading into the 4th year of a 5 year contract. After the '05 season, it's extension time. That's when McNair has to make a decision on whether Dom has the team heading in the right direction. I don't think playoffs are a must, but a winning home record and solution to the constant pressure on Carr will be.

If McNair decides against the extension, Dom will be given the last year of his contract and shown the door. McNair has too much class to make Capers play for his job in '06. Plus, it's just a poor way to run an organization when you have uncertainty at the top. I and a lot of fans really like Capers and I think McNair does, as well. But this is the season the Texans have to shed all of their expansion baby fat and learn to run. If that means Capers is "on the hot seat", then so be it.

The key for Capers is to make sure that the Texans don't go backwards this year. The Texans don't necessarily have to make the playoffs to ensure Capers job is safe, but he and the staff have to make sure that the Texans record improves.

And he still didn't include JDR? Please, that guy is one stupid move from the "chopping block".

Del Rio, in his second year, improved the Jags from a 5-11 record in '03 in his first season as head coach to a 9-7 record in '04 in his second year as head coach...I don't see why he should be on the hot seat....

Capers.......Hmmmmmmmmmm hope he does turn it around

As far as Palmer goes, this guy is terrible!! ( 3rd and 13 -Calls a FB Draw!)

No way we can get to a superbowl with that kind of an O.Coordnatior! :brickwall

texan279 said:
Del Rio, in his second year, improved the Jags from a 5-11 record in '03 in his first season as head coach to a 9-7 record in '04 in his second year as head coach...I don't see why he should be on the hot seat....
Because if you're going to include guys who actually get their teams to the playoffs, like Marty & Herman, guys who fail to make them deserve the seat. And if you take a look at some of Del Rio's questionable motivational techniques (Keep Chopping Wood!) and tactics (i.e., cheap shots), you'll see that JDR is not above criticism. If the Jags don't make the playoffs (and I don't think they will), someone will take the heat. Del Rio has already replaced the OC. If this offense falters again, it's on him.

everyone is talking like capers is horrible (not me) and I just have not figured out why. He learned from his previous mistakes at carolina and is doing a great job of building this team from the ground up. Also, no one has mention who would take the reigns if capers is let go...maybe Lombardi will rise up...

Im a little "iffy" on palmer though. if the offense doesnt live up to its potential it may take the rug out from beneath him.

everyone is talking like capers is horrible (not me) and I just have not figured out why. He learned from his previous mistakes at carolina and is doing a great job of building this team from the ground up. Also, no one has mention who would take the reigns if capers is let go...maybe Lombardi will rise up...

You know that is weird. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I have a strange feeling that if/when Capers is fired or when his contract is up, Jeff Fisher will be on his way out of tacky valley at about the same time...just weird feeling I have...Say it does go down like that, do we offer Fisher the job? Please remember people, this is the offseason, and I don't have much else to talk about or offer...

I like Fisher as a coach, but I'm sure if he was looking for a job he'd have numerous job offers from every NFL franchise with a job opening. He always seems to get the most out of his players. That's a trait many owners would like to have in their head coach.

I like Fisher as a coach, but I'm sure if he was looking for a job he'd have numerous job offers from every NFL franchise with a job opening. He always seems to get the most out of his players. That's a trait many owners would like to have in their head coach.

But since he started here in Houston do you think it would entice him to maybe consider Houston before any other offers? I know my thinking is out there today but it's the offseason and I am tired...

I think the talent level of the team and the bottomline on the contract would be bigger factors in his decision. I'm sure he wouldn't mind coaching a Houston team once again, but then again I doubt he'd mind coaching a NY team who just happened to add an extra couple of buck$ to his wallet.

I agree with the writer's placement of Capers on the list. I've been concerned about the teams unwillingness to seek out a veteran (especially on defense) who could get us over the top. While some of this obviously falls on GM Casserly, I don't have a sense that Capers is providing vision/leadership. Seems like he is content to make do with what's put out on the field. While this laid back approach might make him popular with the owner, I think it leaves something for the fan. I was also concerned by the fact that this past year there were a couple of games (especially the one here in Denver and the second half of the Jets game as well) where the team totally failed to show up. The Denver game was a flat out embarassment!! That game was in the middle of what could have been an important run. Didn't say much for Capers ability to motivate and focus the team.

And as for Fisher comming to Houston...Guys .. ya got to
smoke better stuff.

I never said he would come here or I wanted him here, I just brought up the thought of what could happen if Capers and Fisher lost their jobs around the same time...And like I said in my post, I am bored, tired, and it's offseason, I don't have much to think about or write about as far as football goes right now...

I've been concerned about the teams unwillingness to seek out a veteran (especially on defense) who could get us over the top.
The Texans had one of the oldest defensive units in the league before Sharper and Glenn's release.

These are the guys that are done this year if they don't make to the playoffs, and quite franky, I don't see why they are still coaching their teams this year...

Mike Shanahan, Broncos

Mike Holmgren, Seahawks

Jim Haslett, Saints

Mike Sherman, Packers

the whole thing that makes putting capers on the hot seat so dangerous for this club is our defense...we run a 3-4 defense...it will take years to get us to a 4-3 if you fire capers and hire somebody who runs another type of defense...i'm all for getting on palmer's case...fangio i think needs to look at tape of blitzburgh last season or new englands D...other than that i say these guys are just now trying to put a playoff run together...give them some time

as i look around the league guys i think need to be either fired or on the hot seat are haslett, mike shanahan, holmgren should all be on the hot seat and martz should be the first dumb sob to be fired...martz doesn't know how to run a team he just knows how to run the flashest offense around

I've never liked Capers as a head coach. He is one of those dc that should have stayed just that. He is clueless about offense and he doesn't have an oc that is inovative enough to design plays that fit our personel and that can handle the load on his own. As far as getting fired I would say it depends not only on a winning record and possible playoffs but also on who is available when decision time comes. I think Capers will fulfill all 5 years of his contract but we may lose Palmer and/or Fangio. Hoke seems like a good candidate for dc. Don't know about oc. This is not a hate Capers post I haven't ever liked him as a hc and have said so plenty of times.

bckey said:
I've never liked Capers as a head coach. He is one of those dc that should have stayed just that. He is clueless about offense and he doesn't have an oc that is inovative enough to design plays that fit our personel and that can handle the load on his own. As far as getting fired I would say it depends not only on a winning record and possible playoffs but also on who is available when decision time comes. I think Capers will fulfill all 5 years of his contract but we may lose Palmer and/or Fangio. Hoke seems like a good candidate for dc. Don't know about oc. This is not a hate Capers post I haven't ever liked him as a hc and have said so plenty of times.

Is Buddy Ryan still available?

I think Jim Haslett, of the Saints should invest in some asbestos Levi s.

First he has a "dain bramaged" quarterback in Brooks and his owner wants out. Can you imagine the sales pitch??? "give me a pile of money and a buck more YOU get to fire Haslett!"

You know over the last couple years, I have felt the Texans have played way to conservative offensively. I still contend this and felt we have not exploited our strengths in Carr and Johnson. Much of the play calling is so unimaginative. Even the experts agree about our play calling and the mystery behind our play designs on a weekly basis. Now, with this said, I believe we have done a decent job on defense. I give Dom a passing grade to date because he started with nothing. If we knock on the door to the playoffs and fall short, I think he deserves an extension for a couple more years. I do believe our offensive scheme has to improve significantly for Palmer to extend though. Also, you have to look at the line personnel decisions if we stagnate this year. Who is making this call? How can we fix this?

Bottomline: I have a lot more Patience, but believe we ought to be knocking this year and in next year. I love Dom's approach to the game, but think they will need to become more imaginative and liberal in their offensive play calling...

mmontgo said:
You know over the last couple years, I have felt the Texans have played way to conservative offensively. I still contend this and felt we have not exploited our strengths in Carr and Johnson. Much of the play calling is so unimaginative. Even the experts agree about our play calling and the mystery behind our play designs on a weekly basis. Now, with this said, I believe we have done a decent job on defense. I give Dom a passing grade to date because he started with nothing. If we knock on the door to the playoffs and fall short, I think he deserves an extension for a couple more years. I do believe our offensive scheme has to improve significantly for Palmer to extend though. Also, you have to look at the line personnel decisions if we stagnate this year. Who is making this call? How can we fix this?

Bottomline: I have a lot more Patience, but believe we ought to be knocking this year and in next year. I love Dom's approach to the game, but think they will need to become more imaginative and liberal in their offensive play calling...
Speaking on the offense:
There's no way an NFL can be as unimaginative as the Texans have been over the past 3 years. This leads me to believe that the play selection was limited on purpose. Not because the offense is young either. It all makes sense. If you're not going to be very good then why show your hand? Why give teams a blueprint on what kind of plays you like to run?

This has got to be the year where we open it up. This is the year where we use most of the playbook. And alot of teams are going to be quite surprised when we line and run a slough of plays that they have no clue we were gonna run.

Big B Texan Fan said:
Speaking on the offense:
There's no way an NFL can be as unimaginative as the Texans have been over the past 3 years.
Pittsburgh just went 15-1 with the same kind of offense.

Vinny said:

Pittsburg has Marvel Smith at LT and Alan Faneca destroying people at guard.

Which I think gives them a little more versatility. And less sacks.

That has nothing to do with scheme....that is personel. We both have an offense that features the run with a vertical passing game. If we were more wide open we probably lose more games because we haven't had the line mature enough to protect the QB in the past. If you think Carr took a ton of hits in a conservative offense I'm sure you could see him get hammered more in a more wide open attack.

Vinny said:
They had:
3 good receivers
Good line play
2 bonafide RB's
An awesome defense

We had:
1 good receiver
Poor line play
1 bonafide RB that was hurt for a good portion of the season
An ok defense with a pourous D-line and little pass rush

Not to mention they won about 2-3 games they should've lost. If we'd learn to win those close ones we could've 9-7 or 10-6 ourselves

You are still talking about personel more than scheme. The Panthers and Ravens went to the Super Bowl lately and the Steelers had a great season with a running offense with a downfield passing attack. All these teams rely on ball control and good defense. There is nothing wrong with our offense and it is not much different than other good teams schemes.

I saw a a lot Steeler games last year, seems they have a special play every half or even quarter. How many times have you seen Bettis/Staley throw the ball, or Ward/Randel El run a reverse? Yeah they play smash mouth offense, but they keep defenses honest with these plays. All while we are trying to wow people with our conservativeness.

We do the same thing if you care to take notice. We ran all sorts of trick plays...more than I liked actually.

Maybe your right, they sure don't stick out in my memory though. Well besides the Gaffney fumble... You to admit though, it seems we are offensively challenged at times though. Like someone mentioned earlier, maybe we are not purposely showing the whole playbook. More is definitely to come this year.

Vinny said:
You are still talking about personel more than scheme. The Panthers and Ravens went to the Super Bowl lately and the Steelers had a great season with a running offense with a downfield passing attack. All these teams rely on ball control and good defense. There is nothing wrong with our offense and it is not much different than other good teams schemes.
You're looking too much into scheme.
It takes both.

You were the one dogging the scheme. I brought up examples of other very successful teams using the same scheme and you switched to players. :embarrass

Vinny said:
You were the one dogging the scheme. I brought up examples of other very successful teams using the same scheme and you switched to players. :embarrass
I wasn't dogging the scheme. I was defending their inability to have/use a more in depth play call. I STRONGLY believe that they aren't using 3/4 of their plays due to in large part that they knew that they aren't/weren't gonna be very good in their 1st 3 years.
By saying that "there's no way that an NFL team can be this unimaginative" is my way of saying that the less than desirable play call must be on purpose.
Thus making it harder for our opponents to study us. They look @ old film, form a game plan, and POW. We come out and run plays they aren't ready for, equalling victory.

Not using 75% of their plays? That is not accurate and you are just throwing figures out there randomly. Teams can only run or pass and there are not too many more options to move the ball. Running teams will run more than passing teams. Passing teams will pass more than running teams. That is just how it works.

Big B Texan Fan said:
I wasn't dogging the scheme. I was defending their inability to have/use a more in depth play call. I STRONGLY believe that they aren't using 3/4 of their plays due to in large part that they knew that they aren't/weren't gonna be very good in their 1st 3 years.
By saying that "there's no way that an NFL team can be this unimaginative" is my way of saying that the less than desirable play call must be on purpose.
Thus making it harder for our opponents to study us. They look @ old film, form a game plan, and POW. We come out and run plays they aren't ready for, equalling victory.

Think you are confusing imagination with execution. There are only a few times a game where an offense "fools" the defense with playcalling or conversely an offense is totally confused with a coverage or blitz package. Most of the time, it is a "playmaker" who steps up. It is andre johnson catching the ball over double coverage or the dom Davis getting the tough 3 and 2 with 8 men on the line of scrimmage that wins games.

My problem with the Texans has been that they take what the defense gives them too much versus dictate the action. But even contradictaing, myself, it is hard to dictate action when you have inferior players to other team. You just get out personnelled.

Vinny said:
Not using 75% of their plays? That is not accurate and you are just throwing figures out there randomly. Teams can only run or pass and there are not too many more options to move the ball. Running teams will run more than passing teams. Passing teams will pass more than running teams. That is just how it works.
Well short of interviewing the entire coaching staff and Casserly, I guess you could say that I am "just throwing #'s around". Like I said, it's something that I believe. Not something that I'm 100% sure of. Just tossing my opinion out there.
If I have to be accurate ALL the time then there should a Houston Texans Fact Boards. Opinions and Beliefs not welcome.
And duhhh....I know that you can either run or pass to move the ball. You don't have to talk to us like the only football we know is Madden.
It's called a Message Board where one can read and qoute views and opinions. THAT IS JUST HOW IT WORKS.

Well, there is a difference in an opinion and misstatements. "Shaq is short" is not an opinion, that is a misstatement.

Vinny said:
Well, there is a difference in an opinion and misstatements. "Shaq is short" is not an opinion, that is a misstatement.
As long as the misstatement is expressed in an opinionated fashion then what's the difference?
If I were forcing my opinion as though it were facts, then that could be problematic.

IMO Yao Ming probably thinks Shaq is short. That wouldn't be a mistatement according to him.

Big B Texan Fan said:
As long as the misstatement is expressed in an opinionated fashion then what's the difference?
"In my opinion the Texans are a baseball team". Is that what you are saying as valid as long as it is couched right?

ArlingtonTexan said:
Think you are confusing imagination with execution. There are only a few times a game where an offense "fools" the defense with playcalling or conversely an offense is totally confused with a coverage or blitz package. Most of the time, it is a "playmaker" who steps up. It is andre johnson catching the ball over double coverage or the dom Davis getting the tough 3 and 2 with 8 men on the line of scrimmage that wins games.

My problem with the Texans has been that they take what the defense gives them too much versus dictate the action. But even contradictaing, myself, it is hard to dictate action when you have inferior players to other team. You just get out personnelled.

I agree with this take alot. But, if we are still getting out personelled in year 4, then I want to know why. Heck, even in the 70's, with less player movement, and not as much of a boost to start expansion teams, the Bucs made it to the playoffs in year 4 if I recall. The sorry Brownies were in the playoffs in year 4. The Panthers were in the playoffs, burnt out, and rebuilt in 4 years, albeit under more lenient conditions in which to build. My point is that I don't want to hear we are under talented because we haven't had enough time to build. If we don't have enough talent, maybe CC needs to think about not squandering draft picks as if they were confetti at a ticker tape parade.

Back