Can we trade Carr next year for Young?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by O.G., Jan 25, 2006.

1. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

The thought just hit me and I am hypathetically speaking, but what if we draft Reggie Bush this year. Kubiak works with Carr and he has a break threw year passing for Alittle more than what he did in O4......let's say 4,000 yards, 22 TD's, 9 INT's and a QB rating in the 90's (All Stats are very possible), can we or would it be possible to trade Carr to whomever drafts Vince Young as well as our First round pick for next year? Vince will be a year seasoned and I think the cap hit will even off between the two clubs. What does everyone else think? By the way, here are Carr's stats for 2004 season:

16Games 3531 yards 7.6 avg. 16TD's 14INT's 83.5 Passing Rating

tulexan likes this.
  2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

If Carr had 4000 yards 22 TD's and 9 INT's why would we get rid of him? Those are Pro Bowl numbers.

3. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Agreed. The new administration won't get rid of a good thing.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Cause VY can do that during a nap. With his mind. j/j
    So if Carr had a hugh season you would still want an unproven Young? Unbelievable. :brickwall

5. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

That is like saying:

If Andre Johnson has 1500 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns next year, should we trade him and draft Calvin Johnson?

6. profan

profan Veteran

No way, why would you trade carr after a great season. How about if carr really stinks it up can we trade for Vince Young and the answer is still no way. No one is going to draft vince to trade him in one year.

7. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

wow that is nuts....i'm telling you the way to go is ..vince undeclares....he goes to court...we draft whoever...reggie ...trade..whatever....then vince loses his court battle...he goes into the suppl. draft ..we take him #1..and lose next years #1...everyone is happy...except me..i want carr to have a real chance

8. texan_b

texan_b Rookie

Simple answer is No it would not happen... whoever drafted Vince would get killed by the salery cap... with his signing bonus accelerating

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

As others have pointed out, why would you trade that QB whatever his name is--he is probably in the pro-bowl. The other answer is no way in hell because of the cap. VY if taken in the top 5 is going to have a $15-$20 mil signing bonus on a 5 year contract. Take one year off that and then trade him and the trading team is looking at a $13 to $16 mil immediate cap hit in dead space for the unamortized signing bonus. Ain't happening.

10. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

It was a simple question. Not that I want to trade Carr, I actually like Reggie Bush over Young or trading the pick, but with so many saying Carr doesn't have it I thought it would be a fun question to address. I wouldn't say Carr had a Pro Bowl Year in 04, but he did have a good year with horrible coaching wouldn't you say.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

And what I was really trying to say is a simple reality most folks don't recognize (not aimed at you in particular)--the cap. Lot's of trade scenarios are thrown around every season. Reality in the cap-era NFL is players are almost untradeable until the last couple years of their contracts because the unamortized signing bonus cap hit to the trading team is prohibitive.

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

This reminds me of a call I heard on 610 two years ago. "Hey Lance and John, Rudy on the West side. Since Yao can handle the ball better than most big men, can't we just put him at point some?Also could we package Kelvin Cato and Kenny Thomas for Kobe..I'll hang up and listen."

13. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

True, but they better get a new CBA signed before next year (I think that's when it runs out) or the following year is uncapable if I remember hearing and reading correctly.

14. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

1st time I ever saw this suggestion.

15. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Just because you have the first pick in the draft does not mean you have the first pick in the supplemental draft.

16. Long Baller

Long Baller Rookie

How does the order of the supplemental draft work?

17. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I believe it does.

In the supplemental draft the order is the same as teh draft in April you are just using spending draft picks for next year.

So if Housotn used it's first round pick in teh supplamental we would get that player no matter what (becasue it is the highest pick in the draft) but we wouldn't have a first round pick in the next draft.

18. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

19. Frills

Frills Veteran

I'm sure the team that drafts young would take the cap hit on trading him...:rolleyes:

20. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

When I saw the title of this thread I thought for sure it was a joke....

All I can say is: "Wow."