Can we please stop talking about yardage now?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Oct 13, 2013.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Texans are 6th in the league in yards per game offensively, but are 25th in scoring, with 106 points (17.7/game). Really tired of hearing about yardage.

2. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

2010 Chargers, Part II.

3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Same logic applies for the defensive side of the ball. Stats do not tell the whole story and our defense just isn't that good.

4. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I've never ben a yardage guy. Offensively, ppg,3rd down effenciency,and rz tds are the most important. When fans were talking how great the texans were offensively when schaub was throwing for 4700 yds, they were avg or below in those critical areas. Defensively,its the same.

5. Rey

Rey Guest

I use stats as a reference, but I'm more of a trust your eyes guy.

6. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

For an offense the most important stat is points bottom line end of story.

Defensively its points, turnovers forced, and 3rd down efficiency

7. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

The problem isn't stats, it is how they are used. Kind of like ERA vs. WHIP. If you just looked at yardage that is kind of like looking at revenue vs profits. You can cherry pick one stat or another but it won't tell the whole story.

In this case look at penalties, turnover diff, 3rd down conversions, 3rd down defense, rz defense and yardage. One of these is not like the other and should be discarded.

Mike

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

These days there are stats such as Bendability & Scorability on sites suck as....

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2013/6/SCOR/

....that tell more of the story. We suck in the Red Zone on both sides of the ball. I would like to see some historical stats in these areas, though, because Foster, for instance, is supposed to be really good in the Red Zone (one player, anyway), although I doubt Schaub ever was.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    robroy72 likes this.

9. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think they are #1 in the league, but I still think they are good. Not the best, but still a top 10. They don't force turnovers, though, and that's a huge problem. They are also undisciplined and can give up a big play because they aren't where they are supposed to be. We still are one of the top teams in forcing 3 and outs and battle. I think the D is forced to try and be the offense and defense because the offense won't get it done. Look at the SF game. They did their job for most of the game. We came out of the half and forced 2 straight 3 and outs, but the offense could only muster a Kubiak (what a FG should be known as). When the D is playing from behind they're trying to force things and gamble.

The offense, the play calling, and the overall schemes are limiting our D.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I wonder how many yards they would have given up if our offense wasn't winning the ToP

Given more opportunity I've no doubt our defense would have given up more yards & more points. I don't know how anyone can look at those 11 guys & say they're playing well.

11. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

The defensive scheme is flawed. It's a QB pressure based scheme with man to man coverage. Fail to get to the QB and odds are the offense wins. Spread the D out, throw the ball deep and the odds are they either get a big completion or a penalty. There is nobody even close to getting an INT in this system. The scheme is as outdated as the offensive scheme Kubiak brings. They both need to be replaced and I don't believe either Phillips or Kubiak are capable of changing systems.

12. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

The only reason the defense is #1 to this point is they haven't been able to give up more yards because they are always defending a short field after all the turnovers.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not always. The first INT to San Diego was a short field. Tate's fumble against San Francisco were short fields. Other than that, we've turned the ball over on the other side of the 50.

3rd down conversion numbes suk, RZ numbers suk. If the offense wasn't winning ToP, this would not be the #1 defense. Probably still top 10 in yards, but not #1.

14. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

That along with the pick 6's taking a possession away from the opposing offense and our special teams giving up short fields all year long. The "#1 defense" is a fraud.

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The team has given up...that's what it is. The defense knows our offense is worthless. I'm sure they would love to play a team that never challenged everyone deep and only ran underneath routes and can't audible out of bad plays. I think the defense has had the life sucked out of them. Wouldn't you love to play the Lions if they never targeted Calvin Johnson in the end zone and never made tough throws.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Bradford went 8 for 8 against the blitz. The blitz/rush isn't getting there and we apparently can't cover long enough for the rush to get there anyway.

I read a tweet yesterday stating that Bradford said our defense was not difficult at all.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

fixed for you.

18. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I don't know who said it, but stats are for losers.

They are utterly without context...that's why when you look at guys like Bill Barnwell, who rely a little too much on stats to prove some of their points, you see guys how are letting the math of the game overshadow the art/psychology of the game.

This team is such a mess right now and there's about 50 billion reasons why, and stats will never tell you the whole story.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Yeah, stats will tell you a story if you know how to read them. You can't look at total yards given up only and say your team has the best defense. Looking beyond the yardage stat, the stats start to tell you that no, the Texans defense isn't the best afterall. Fewer plays run against you because of having shorter fields to work with will keep your total yards allowed low.

The Texans aren't making stops on 3rd down and can't stop anything in the red zone. Those 2 indicators alone tell you that the #1 defense ranking based solely on yards allowed, is bogus.

Of course your eyeballs are already telling you that, but it IS there in the stats. You just have to continue reading. You can't pick one stat and make any kind of argument with it because, no, one stat will not tell you anything.

CnD had a post somewhere explaining how Troy Aikman came to his efficiency ratings, taking into account several factors (stats) which gave a better indication of how you are doing. Instead of the Texans D being ranked #1, Aikman had them at #20 coming into yesterday. Is the Texans D the 12th worst in the NFL? I don't know. My eyeballs tell me they are a lot closer to 20 than they are 1. He also had the offense ranked 18th. Far from the NFL designation (going strictly by yards gained) of #7. My eyeballs tell me they are a lot closer to 18 than 7 as well.

So it is in the stats, you just have to finish reading them. Looking at a single stat (yards or whatever), will not tell you anything.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Andre is a great receiver. Can't be denied. But at the end of the day, all he's got is yardage to show for it.