Can We Change The Franchise Tag?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Ranger, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Ranger

Ranger Veteran

Its about that time of the year when teams start slappin one tag here and another there and pretty soon it looks like a half-off sale there are so many tags. I like the tags, some of them get me confused like the transitional tag, but I have one problem with the Franchise Tag. Here is an example.

Today I saw on ESPN that John Clayton is reporting the Rams will once again Tag Olrando Pace and make him the frachise player. Thats a smart idea, I mean I would too (and yes now we can stop with the "Orlando Pace at LT" posts) but they have been franchising him for the last 3 years. Ain't this getting a little old?

I would like to see a rule put in place where a player can't be franchised 2 season in a row. That way if the team can come up with a long term contract in 2 years, then something is wrong. Either the parties need to part ways or something. It just gets old seeing Walter Jones and Orlando Pace getting franchised EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I can just imagine what those guys feel like being franchised every year. But hey look on the bright side, the money is good.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am suprised these guys haven't worked out a longer deal. Reason is say Walter or Orlando gets a serious injury.. then long term contracts are almost out of the question

3. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Example: Julian Peterson. Didnt get the record deal he wanted then tore his achilles.

4. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

Peterson will not be a 49er next year because of that, he watched from the sideline and saw a pothetic team play, he wants no part of that team

5. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

It seems like Peterson could be the cornerstone of a new 3-4 defense. I'd be surprised if they let him go.

6. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Help me understand. Doesn't these restrictions work better for the team than the player? A team may not want to tie a player up for more than one year due to age, injury or possible replacement.