Can somebody please explain to me...can't pick up a blitz

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tedr, Nov 17, 2013.

1. tedr

tedr Veteran

...why we suck so bad against the blitz this year? Is it just because our offensive line stinks, or that we have RB injury issues? Is it that simple, or are there other reasons?

2. Lord Bills

Lord Bills Destruction

because we have a bad head coach with an outdated offense.

absolutely no offensive adjustment to teams blitzing case.

No draw plays to kill the blitz
    no bubble screens to wrs
    no screens to rbs
    no short slants

This coaching staff has always had trouble with in game adjustments.

This offense has always struggled in the second half scoring dating back to last year.

Case has played great so far this season with everything stacked against him. You give schaub 7 years of mediocrity yet you cant even give keenum who has put up great numbers 5 games before you pull him.

SHAMELESS AND DISGUSTING.

3. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

I agree with this, the coaches do nothing to help the QB with the blitz, they call screens at the wrong time, they call draws at the wrong time, they empty the back field with no RB at the wrong time.

4. Lord Bills

Lord Bills Destruction

i mean just look at the play where they pull the runing back away from the back field and put him all the way to the sideline,

WTH IS THAT?

WTH IS THAT?

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Why Matt McGloin has 3 passing TDs against our defense.

Or what a "McGloin" is? (I thought he was a character in Gangs of New York?)

6. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

The burning question is: Has McNair seen enough of this clusterbuck to make wholesale changes when the season is over?

He has to realize that his team is the laughingstock of the NFL.

If that debacle in the red zone at the end of the game doesn't result in McNair's head exploding then he is as much the problem as anyone.

:coffee:

7. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Kubiak is trolling you...

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I gotta throw in the the O-line has SUCKED all year. Also, Keenum, while I'm rooting for him, is not dealing with the blitz well at all and that's why they keep doing it excessively against him (that, & the O-line is a freaking turnstyle). He can't hit the hot receiver on the short route accurately, & I think he doesn't see him soon enough either. This is something he might improve on a lot in the future....or not....I don't know.

Schaub does that far better than Keenum, but we all know he isn't the answer.

We might need a NEW QB, along with a heart and a head coach.

I'm going to find the pink soap, or blue, or whatever.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Rookie

You got a inconsistent offensive line (Newton is straight killing them on too many plays), our best pass protecting RB is out for the season and the best TE is out.

Plus this maybe just venom from the recent loss but I question some of the play calling being so predictable the defense knows what is coming and can out work our linemen.

10. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Because our Offensive SUCKS.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

How do you call for a draw play when the D has been blitzing progressively more the whole game & getting most of the pressure right up the middle? Actually, that's not even predictuable; it's just STUPID.

12. Rey

Rey Guest

Being bad against the blitz is a small symptom if the greater problem which is kubiak and quite possibly an owner depending on how he handles this.

13. bigmck

bigmck Rookie

I agree, that is just stupid. It should be used rarely when you are going to have a play where you want to flood downfield with receivers. The Texans are using it a good percentage of the time. :scarygirl::scarygirl:

SchaubApologist likes this.
  14. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

Really McLovin had time to write a book and Keenum didn't have time read a txt.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

If McNair doesn't see what has transpired here, I'm not sure what to think or what I am going to do. If he approaches this as something that is mendable with this current regime, I may just call it quits on this team.

I love my Texans, I am a diehard fan, truly. But I am not down for watching a failing organization fail year after year. If McNair doesn't see what is happening now, in this epic meltdown that we just witnessed, then he truly will never have a successful franchise. He'd have to get lucky.

But I don't think that is the case. I think everyone and their mom just saw this as what it truly was, a coaching/player meltdown. The end of the road. The end for this current regime.

16. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Thanks for the best, unbiased response I've heard in a while!

17. midway

midway Veteran

Did the last 3 weeks make this board lose its collective memory about Schaub's response to blitzes?

Also the Raiders didn't blitz Schaub, there was absolutely no need, he's simply not good enough to win.

18. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

And simply not good enough to beat them with all day to throw against a soft zone, very sad.

AMartin56 likes this.
  19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Rookie

How about calling a reverse, some screens or getting better blockers?

You had a banged up Ben Tate (who was never great at pass blocking when at his best) in there mostly and a small framed undrafted rookie in there as your primary RBs. Karim isn't doing JACK in special teams, he at least 10 lbs on Johnson, why not have him in on plays you know will require pass blocking?

We've kept Andrew Gardner on this team for almost 3 seasons, WHY when he hasn't sniffed at challenging anyone for a first or second string? How do we have Garrett Graham (13) a good but not special TE and Keyshawn Martin (5) who over his 2 seasons has actually dropped half the balls thrown his way have more targets then your young talented and promising 2nd WR Hopkins (2)?

As bad as the blitzing was and as bad our protection has been, we were out coached in the second half like we've been all season long and the coaches job is to fix problems when they are obvious trends. Guys failing to pick up the blitz is a obvious trend.

20. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

The O-Line sucks.
    The backs and TEs are terrible blockers.
    Keenum can't read a defense.
    Schaub is a statue.
    Our receivers are not burners and need time to create separation.

Add it all together are you're going to have a bad time.

Surreal McCoy likes this.