Can I get a run defense?????

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Aug 20, 2011.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Has anyone seen what happened to our run D? & I'm not talking about just the NT. We're getting beat on the edges. We're getting beat up the middle. We're getting beat on the draw... & the screen......

Is there something we have coming up to make us believe it's going to get better?

2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Did you mean to post this on a sAints forum? :kitten:

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I thought it was a little better today than it was on Monday. So that's a plus.

Hopefully, it just needs a little time. Like one more week.

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

You have to figure in the equation that last week was the Jets. they WILL run the ball. Period. That's just how Fatboy Ryan is.

5. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Nope, but you can get a turnover.

Seriously though our Run D always takes a hit when Demeco is not in there, he just makes it all better.

6. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

i think this 3-4 hybrid isnt quite right yet when it comes to Run D

nytexan likes this.
  7. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

Well there are 2 issues, 1 is the Saints have possibly the best interior OL, GCG, combo in football. 2 it appears to me that with this new defense they're still trying to figure out their gap assignments. Sounds easy but if 1 guy is out of place there appears to be a giant gap in the front 7.

From the little I could see they weren't getting blown off the ball as you would normally think when the other team is running the ball well. Which normally means this is very correctable by coaching and taking more reps. This could be an issue for longer than we would hope unless Cushing and Ryans (yes he does have an S in his name) start to get some reps together.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

Texans are playing a penetrating style 34 without an anchor in the middle.

A big space eating guy would absolutely help, but the guys we have can get it done although it will require a unique effort. If Mitchell can hold the middle down he will have a pro bowl season easily.

If the texans can find a big guy that can hold the point of attack our short yardage d will be better.

I think Earl and Cody will make some plays there, but I wonder about their consistency. Become consistent there or find a big guy you can rotate in there to do it and our d will be very very good.

9. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

From what I was seeing, it wasn't just the NT, it was the LBs not stepping up int he hole and making the play. The NTs were drawing doubles but I didn't see the MLBs hitting the hole and stopping the run...

Hopefully when DeMeco comes back and Cushing can get a handle on this or the run defense will be the problem of 2011...

10. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

I did hear Cushing's name tonight, I remember him making a play but unfortunately I don't remember what it is he did.

11. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

i wish we had a Fat albert type NT along with COdy just to go in there on run plays

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think the focus has been on stopping the passing devastation. The DBs are incrementally better and the front 7 are disrupting the QB and those were targets one and two in any order you choose. There was minimal yardage against us if I tallied correctly and no long rushing TDs. That is success in my book. The run D will improve.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I got the idea that they were too concerned with the pass and were overly aggressive which lead to open holes to run thru .... They werent getting beat physically .... it was overaggressiveness and the best way to beat an aggressive defense is with draws and screens.

14. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Cody and mitchell are killing the lbs. They're getting turned or straight moved out the hole and its allowing the others to be accounted for. Hopefully wade is telling jamal to stay in shape for after week 1.

15. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

I'm glad others feel this is a concern regardless of our excellent preseason play. I felt like on that first drive, the Saints could have marched all the way to the endzone if they had ran the ball every play. They had a couple of successful runs that we couldn't do anything about. And then on a pass play, we were able to get pressure and force a turnover.

I don't want to take anything away from both the defense and offense today, especially during the first half, but hopefully our boys work some stuff out regarding the run defence.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

This has been my biggest fear when hearing about this defense and how they planned to construct it. I know the idea is for our NT to shade on the center and operate more like a penetrating DT but still, it worries me. I'm not concerned about offensive coordinators trying to scheme to force Mario into coverage very much but I am concerned about our interior defense against the run.

17. coon

coon Veteran

anyone know where i can watch the game online for free

thunderkyss likes this.
  18. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

Games over dude! We won :) BTW - NFL Network will be replaying the game. Not sure of the date/time, check the website

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Did you happen to notice the fat albert type in the middle of the Saints line?

Niether did anyone else.

On second thoughts maybe we should dress Studdard up for defense when he gets healthy enough.

20. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

speaking of the nfl network...why the hell did they black out the NFL network during the game? pissed me off.