Can Cedric help Steve?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MannyFresh, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

Is Cedric Benson locked up by the Bengals or will he be a free agent after this season? How would a Slaton/Benson duo do possibly? Just a thought.

2. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Take of youre Burnt Orange glasses in 3....2....1.

I knew after his game yesterday someone here would be starting this thread. Virtually no one here wanted him when he was a FA. Maybe some will change their minds now.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I won't. I'd rather have a late round rookie

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

He has actually has many pretty good games..the problem is they suck so bad they had to throw instead of keep feeding him.

With all that said...no, I wouldn't want him.

5. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

No thanks I wouldn't want Ced

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes he signed a one year deal so will be a UFA.

7. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

No one has really said why not other than, "something about burnt orange" and just no thanks but that we'd rather have another rookie....another rookie is not not going to pound on 3rd downs or the red zone not to mention give Slaton a breather now and then.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Okay... Because he's an operating a boat under the influence, police resisting, ordered to install a breathalyzer in his vehicle, under-achieving waste of a Bear's draft pick, that should have stuck to baseball...

...just sayin'.

9. scourge

scourge Digression King

IMO, Ced is a head case... that's why i would say no.

but really, who are we gonna get that's any better? To me, he is a slightly faster Dayne. Maybe that's good enough for this team. We aren't known for high profile FA's or high round RB's, just 3rd or lower.

10. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Why not?

A rookie could do that for less money, for more years, and with less baggage.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

LOL! Why is that? Do you have to have a veteran to ground and pound?

12. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

He's only been in the league for 4 years, so we know he's not old or broke down like ahem, Green/Dayne..... He's seems to be doing better after he mistake...who's to say this wasn't a wakeup call for him ?

13. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Pretty sure he got off on all counts. And he did just have 178 yards in one game which is not exactly underachieving.

Seems like the Cowboys have gone overboard on signing prima donna scofflaws, but the Texans might being going just as overboard in the opposite direction. Trying to maintain a squeaky clean roster might be leaving them a little too vanilla. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a guy...

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm not changing direction here but besides Tank and PacMan the Cowboys probably have as many thugs as the DWI and tasrer guys on the Texans..lol:). I guess those arrests weren't dangerous enough.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Really?--in 4 seasons, Benson has 11 TD's. In less than one, Johnson, Slaton and Forte have 24 TD's.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Being ordered by the courts to install a breathalyzer in his vehicle is real.

Anyway, I file the 171 yards on 38 carries to the "Sun shines on a dog's butt, some days" file. A fine performance like that is quickly leveled out with a game earlier this year where he rushed for 35 yards on 16 carries or another gem where he rushed for 17 yards on 10 carries. The guy has never come close to being a 1,000 yard rusher. Of course it is possible that he could rush for 364 in his last game giving him a 1,000 yards for this season...

If you were to look up under-achiever in the dictionary, you would find a picture of Ced Benson.

17. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I just looked at his stats at NFL.com....You might be right.

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I will take any unproven rookie over a guy who couldn't do shit with a bear O-line that has made matt forte look like a world beater. There are plenty of RBs in the draft that slip who end up doing good enough. See Hart, Mike.

Benson won't come here anyway because that's not the kind of player we bring in.

19. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Look if the Texans go after Benson I would hope they would also go after Tommy Blake then. I know its wishful thinking.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think Benson could help Steve Slaton so that's my answer to the original question.

I don't think there's any chance that Cedric Benson will be even looked at by this team much less signed. As has already been pointed out the Texans don't look at "that kind of player" even if that just means he was charged with something and not found guilty. I think we're far more about image than winning football games anyway so if Cedric Benson suddenly became Earl Campbell in a flash of lightning (but still had his existing Benson "record") we'd probably refuse to talk to him.

Ultimately I don't think it much matters because while yes, a Cedric Benson who had experienced the wake up call of nearly being out of football could do a great deal paired with Steve Slaton I think there are easier ways to get that same help in the draft. More importantly I think that this staff knows how to find that guy. We draft very well and we'll find the RB we need that way.

I'd have done it differently and picked up Benson as soon as I could have but we'll get what we need anyway and it's not like we're in any sort of hurry to get over .500 around here. We've got all the time in the world to get better (apparently).

cuppacoffee and MannyFresh like this.