Camp: Saturday 8/5

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jerek, Aug 5, 2006.

1. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Chris Taylor and Antowain Smith received most of the first team reps. Morency mostly played on the second team. Taylor looked less than a hundred percent.

Seth Wand was receiving most of the first team reps at LT. I may yet end up eating crow about the guy after all.

Robaire Smith took a lot of first team reps at DT today, in place of Seth Payne.

Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Spencer and Babin were having at it again -- no fight, but it looks like they've got an ongoing battle. Nothing to worry about though; I like to see the fire myself.

Pitts and Spencer make for a dominating left side for the running game.

Our secondary was really struggling today. Our safeties having trouble staying up top. DeMeco looks really good at MLB and remains first team and our probable starter.

Our first team defensive line is still really strong.

Carr was staring down Andre a little too much but for the most part looked good. The TE underneath across the middle continues to dominate, as does the quick slant.

Joppru
    looked good today but dropped one sure pass. He's getting involved and IMO will challenge for 2nd TE spot.

Practice looked somewhat sloppy today, but the heat was absolutely oppressive, so I can chalk it up to that in part.

Man zones and zone dogs/blitzes are looking good on D. Liked the TE up the seam against Cover 2. Playcalling continues to impress.

Short update, so I apologize. Anyone else who was there, feel free to add.

2. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

Thanks again for the scoop. When you say Taylor was less than a hundred percent, do you mean he wasn't at the top of his game, he looked dinged, or both? How is Weary filling in for McKinney at RG? Also, nobody has mentioned our FB's much, is Jameel Cook getting any touches in 11 on 11's?

3. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Weary looked overmatched at times, but he is often going up against either Mario or Weaver, so maybe that's to be expected. I'm not sure what Taylor's deal is; he looked like he was limping slightly on Thursday, so not sure if he's got an injury or was just sort of out of it. He just looked 90%ish to me today, whatever the reason. Either way I liked that he was receiving so many of the first team reps. Our FBs rarely if ever run the ball but do go out for passes.

4. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

I think you got about everything I saw wrapped up jerek. IMO, this was the hottest practice so far. I was close to leaving about 30 mins in to it, but it stayed pretty cloudy after that.

5. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Definitely the hottest yet.

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Lewis Sanders and Dexter McCleon running first team corners was a bit scary.

Joppru more than made up for the drop with a beautiful diving catch in the endzone near the end of practice.

Get used to TEs lining up at fullback ... not H-back ... fullback.

It's only a matter of time until Spencer is our starting left tackle.

Carr pulled the defense offsides several times today (Babin twice) with a hard count.

I like what I'm seeing out of John Walker so far.

Charlie Anderson got most of the first team reps at Sam with Orr out.

Flanagan sat out this morning. Hodgdon can't handle Robaire and/or Weaver.

Owen Daniels appears to have the knack for finding the soft spots in the zone. He has good hands and some quicks.

I posted somewhere on another board that we will have a top-ten defensive line which caught some immediate ridicule. We have a very good 7 man rotation with Mario, Kalu, Robaire, Weaver, Payne, Babin, and Peek. Sprinkle in the aggressiveness of Richard Smith and I haven't seen anything like this since House of Pain, Buddy or Fisher. There are going to be a lot of stops for loss or no gain this year BUT there will be problems when the offense attacks the second and third tier. Our defense will make a lot of big plays - in terms of QB pressures, losses, no-gains - but they will also give up some big plays over the top or whenever the opponent is able to breach the first wave.

TexanAddict likes this.
  7. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Long distance thank you from Corpus on TC updates. I hate hearing the bad reports on the secondary though but I just hope that the D-line can make their jobs easier with an effective pass rush.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Aj don't tease me.. I am thinking Sean Jones,Ray Childress,Doug Smith and William Fuller .. when I read that :drool:

9. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

He's not teasing. Dead serious. Our defensive line is going to be top-10 -- I daresay top-5 -- this year.

Really good update, aj, you covered some of the things I left out.

10. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

In terms of investment, both money and draft picks, we should have top 10 DL. I am glad to see that the early reports are that the Return on Investment is looking good.

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

on a side note and I realize it takes a unit to make a good OL, but have y'all seen any offensive lineman be consistant? as far as holding their own?

granted a player is going to be beat a time or two,but any o-lineman standing out?

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I was about to say - and I often do (the people who I talk to are sick of hearing it) we SHOULD have a Top 10 d-line because they are one of the highest paid d-lines in the league.

13. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

So Jerek or AJ , who is the steal of the draft in your respective opinions ? If you count Joppru as a 1st year player , how does it make this years group ?

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The steals of this year's draft? I'd have to say Spencer and Winston at the start of the 3rd round.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

So with Wand getting most of the reps at LT with the first team, and Babin and Spencer mixing it up some more, does that mean that Babin was with the second unit today ?

16. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

I have a feeling that were going to be one of the best DL. Glad to see we have got some fire on the team.

17. kikiscafe

kikiscafe Rookie

Quote:Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Jerek, with the addition of Kevin Walter, do you think it is an upgrade over what his name that signed with the Philly? (seriously, I totally forgot his name)

Thanks for all the info during TC

18. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Scuttlebutt is that Joppru's speed and good hands are catching the attention of the right people. The coaches haven't had to get on him much. They've addressed the occasional technique issue, which I guess is to be expected after a 3 year lay-off. Joppru seems very excited to be on the field.

He was a second round pick; he could be a strong part of the offense for a few years.

19. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Looks like giving up a 7th round pick for Walter was a steal.

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Gaffney?