Calvin Johnson

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Snapple, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

Talk about a guy whose abilities are getting wasted. He is the most athletic receiver in the country. He has an unusual combination of both great size and great speed, great hands, great instincts, and everything else. And he has the unfortunate circumstance of being saddled with one of the worst senior QBs in college football, Reggie Ball.

I'm watching GT-Clemson, and this should be one of the biggest games of the year for GT, if they want to be called ACC contenders. Yet now that there are just a few minutes left in the 4th quarter, and Clemson has already wrapped up the victory, Johnson has ZERO catches because he's only been thrown to 4 times, most of them being uncatchable balls. How do you not try to get the ball to your best player in a big game? Makes no sense to me.

You can mark my words though. Johnson is gonna explode in the NFL. He has all the tools to succeed, and has no foreseeable downside that I can see at all. He's probably going to be a top ten or top five pick, and he'll deserve it.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Calvin Johnson is going to get a lot of Attention come January.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i can't see any situation where he would fall past the second pick in the draft.

4. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

Well, the first two picks might be Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson or something. Besides, this time last year, people were saying they couldn't see any scenario where Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart weren't the top two picks in the draft. A lot can happen to change people's stock between now and April.

Although I would be shocked if Calvin wasn't an extremely high pick. If "experts" try to move him down the draft board if he has a less-than-perfect combine, they'll be making a huge mistake.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

oakland will most likely draft him. and there's no way he goes anywhere near the combine.

6. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

Who in Oakland is going to throw him the ball though? Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walter are absolutely horrible.

7. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they'll stick with walter, or maybe draft another QB in the later rounds. or sign a free agent.

8. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

As a Tech fan I couldn't agree more. I didn't get to see the game but Ball is terrible and I have suffered through him for a few years now. Thank god this will be the last.

9. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i think miami will have the first pick in the draft, if you look at there schedule, they got a tought one, the lions could be a win for them, but not with harrington, and they might beat indy at the end of the season, if indy has got the home field advantage

but i dont think they win either of them
    miami then...
    oakland
    and then i dont know who

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

What's going to hurt me is if after the VY Reggie Bush fiasco, two clubs get into as bidding war over Calvin Johnson. I think Clemson marked him though. He's going to see double and tripple teams the rest of the season. It is Clear to me still early, but he is the prize in next years draft.

11. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

him and troy smith, i think troy smith will the be the best NFL ready QB in the draft

toss up between him and brady quinn

but smith has more all around weapons :twocents:

12. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Lets give it up for Troy Ware...I mean Troy Smith! :redtowel:

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

if the season ended now, miami would have the #1 pick, because we've had the easiest schedule in the NFL so far, except for chicago. from here on out, we have one of the TOUGHEST schedules.

brutal. but if it gets us calvin johnson, i'll take it.

14. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

we wont get calvin johnson, even if we were at #1 again, we wouldnt take him, unless moulds retires after this year

and know one even knows if he'll come out this season
    or has he said that he will already?

15. real

real Guest

We probably wouldn't take him if we got the #1 pick....I'd like to see a trade down as much as it would hurt to pass on him.....

And I highly doubt that he will stay...The money calling his name will be too loud to ignore...

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

well he is a pretty humble guy. i read a few stories on georgia tech's academic site about him doing a ton of things for those less fortunate.

SF49erFaithful likes this.
  17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Nobody has said anything about this but I could see Brady Quinn falling a little bit.
    The Dolphins have a rejuvenated Harrington and the Raiders have Walter (who is fumble prone but is a very accurate passer)
    I dont think that Quinn, while extremely talented, is as good as ESPN makes him out to be. As much as I hate to say this cuz Ohio St beat my Texas team, Troy Smith looks like the next McNabb. He is hella fast but never needs to run cuz he is such a good passer (doesnt hurt when you have awesome recievers but Quinn does too)

18. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

ahahahahahaha

quinn is awesome. i want him on my team.

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I know your laughing at me. But I've seen some things from him that I didnt see in Detroit. You prob know more about it tho since it appears that your a Dolphins fan and I'm not

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My top 3 QB would go like this:

1. Smith- Ohio St
    2. Brohm- Louisville
    3. Quinn- ND

Just my opinion on what I've seen so far