Calvin Johnson one of greatest prospects ever

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by jaayteetx, Mar 2, 2007.

1. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

According to John McClain, thats what he has heard. Now, why isn't there all the hype surrounding this kid, ala Reggie Bush, Vince Young. Could it be, because he didn't play for a big-time college football power? Also, there more than likely will be THREE teams pass on him. How come these teams and their fans are not going to catch all the grief we and the Houston Texans franchise has had to endure since drafting Mario Williams? Could it have anything to do with the media and how they push their own agendas? Just a thought.

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it's definitely a media thing. i've heard scouts say they've never seen the unbelievable physical skills combined with on-the-field dominance from a prospect like they see with calvin johnson. easily best WR prospect ever.

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think it would be kind of funny if he flops.

4. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Gallery had more hype than CJ did.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it'll pretty much have to be injury or some off-the-field thing for that to happen.

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

CJ has the best combination of hands, speed, size, athleticism, and most importantly actual production than has ever been seen by a WR at the combine. Moss is probably the only guy that has come close.

7. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

I was hoping he could slip to 4 or 5 and we could move up.:stirpot: :pigfly:

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not to mention he understands the game very well...... very smart kid.

Easily the best prospect in this draft..... greatest ever??

I don't know about all that.

WRs will impact a game, no doubt. & a game changing WR is easily worth a #1 overall... but I can't see them generating the hype of a #1 QB, or a #1 RB.

That, and the team at #1 has Randy Moss, and Jerry Porter... it would be kinda like having Duece McAllister, and drafting Reggie Bush.

So... even though I think CJ is the best prospect in this draft, I'd have no problem if the top two teams passed on him for a QB, and a RB, which is probably going to happen.

If the Browns pass on him for JT, I'd understand, considering Braylon Edwards is cathching on. But I'd still take CJ if I were them.

Bucs.... if he makes it there, he won't go any further.

9. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

My guess is, and this is only a guess mind you...

The Raiders will make a trade and get there self a QB this off-season and draft Calvin Johnson with the 1st pick and throw a loop into everyone's mock drafts...

If that happened, watch teams wheel and deal to move up and get there man before someone else does something weird...

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

But CJ is the only one worth trading up for... Well Peterson, but I'm thinking he goes #2, & Detroit wants him. AFter that, you don't trade up for what's left. They are already going to cost you a boat load to sign them, and it'll cost a lot to move up.

11. NRowl

NRowl Rookie

Carr for Jerry Porter and a 4th from the Raiders??? :stirpot:

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Do you really think they do? I mean, they've got Thomas Jones who should be back the middle of next season and they got Tatum Bell. Now, Peterson should be an upgrade over those two but... why trade for Tatum Bell unless you were planning on using him while Thomas Jones recovers?

I don't expect them to go with AP.

13. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Or it could be the fact that a WR only touches the ball a few times a game while a QB touches it every play and a RB will anywhere from 15-30 times a game.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When you say Thomas Jones... do you mean Kevin Jones?? If so, yes. If they went and got Thomas Jones.... no.

They got Foster(a solid right tackle) & fith round pick for Dre Bly..... remember what we thought about Bell when we thought we'd get him & Plummer??

Bell will start the year, he usually runs well in September & October..

Would they take CJ?? I really don't see that.

15. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

He played for Georgia Tech, not Marshall. They might not be annual national championship contenders but they did play for the ACC championship last year and are annual top 20 material. Give credit where credit is due.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

if he played for USC or texas....forget about it. the coverage on him would be ridiculous.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Michael Westbrook was one of the greatest prospects ever too....till Casserly selected him. I saw CJ play in a few games....awesome player.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Just last year Reggie Bush was rated as one of the top running back prospects to come out in years, yet failed to finish among the first 5 rookie
    backs in rushing yards last season. Hopefully Johnson fairs better in his rookie
    class of receivers.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

heck, even Notre Damn or Michigan....

Mainly because he isn't an NFL running back, and will probably make the move to WR/PR pretty soon.

There is no doubt, or question about what an NFL team is going to do with Calvin Johnson...

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Calvin Johnson is awesome. It does kinda of make me mad that people are so quick to say oh yea oakland needs jamarcus russell they should get him. it may be a good move for their team but everyone makes fun of houston for making a football decision and trying to build their team with a guy like mario. Mario Williams is and will be so much better than Jamarcus Russell.

Calvin Johnson is one of the most solid picks....safe picks, along with laron landry and patrick willis.

Every team that passes CJ should get heat thrown at them but of course the media rules the world. what they say is what people believe.

georgia tech is not that good of a team. their not bad but..they arent a nationally 'known'/ talked about team. Reggie Ball was a bad QB and CJ stats could have been tremendous if he played on a better team. I do agree RB and QB touches the ball a lot more than WR...and may have more impact on the game.