Call it now what we should have done

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by mussop, Apr 26, 2019.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I know it’s hindsight but what IYO should we have done?

Personally I would’ve taken the deal that the colts got from Washington for our #23. We would of had #46 and an early second next year for moving down 23 spots. I know that sounds like a lot but look at who should be available at 46 and consider that second round pick is from Washington who will be rebuilding so it’s most likely a very high second rounder.

We probably could of still gotten Howard and added that pick. Anyway that’s what I think we should of done. It’ll be interesting to see who is available at 46.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Exactly what we did do.

Fan base cries for months about OL. Franchise uses highest draft pick on OL. Fan base cries and declares franchise incompetent. Bizarre.

Carr Bombed, PapaL, Texazan and 7 others like this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Did the Texans even recieve the offer the Colts got? Did the Redskins have any reason to believe either the Texans or Ravens or Colts were going to take Sweat?

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I would have preferred to make a deal to move up and take Dillard.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

The colts got the deal. Obviously it was out there. If we were doing our due diligence we should of know about it. Besides this is about getting value. We didn’t get value and a team in our division behind us in the draft did. There is no excuse.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

You know they had a call with the ravens. Sure would like to know what they wanted to move down one pick.

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Pretty narrow minded thinking

BigBull and TexansFan15 like this.
  8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

It’s not about the player. I have no problem with the player. I like him. It’s about getting the most value out of your picks. This guy is a project pick if you can’t see that it’s on you.

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

If you say so. Taking a project when their are starting caliber players at other need positions is stupid. A team right behind us got the deal but we couldn’t? That’s narrow minded to think that.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  10. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Getting a player you like is the point of the draft. That's maximum value. What higher value is there than getting a good player? This isn't Madden where you can reset the game if you trade back too far and miss your guy.

If you are willing to share, I would be very interested in hearing what you define as a "project pick" and why you are so sure Howard is one.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Just saying that just because the Colts were offered the deal doesn't mean the Texans were. Seems everyone knew what the Texans were going to do

Mr teX likes this.
  12. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

But see it is about the player b/c if this guy turns out to be a stud that probably should’ve been drafted much higher, then we got great value where we selected him. This is not counting the ripple effect of not having to give up picks to move up and get him where we very well could land another key player. Of course, the inverse also holds true.

Speculating on how much “value” we did/didn’t get now is a fools errand much in the same way draft “experts” grade team drafts literally 1 day after they happen.

bah007 and JB like this.
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

But yet most everyone on this MB complains about OB being the 'smartest man in the room'.

PapaL, Mr teX and bah007 like this.
  14. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

The Eagles were fairly certain and yet I don't see how unless they got a scoop from someone.
    For example, two very good CBs were still on the board as was Jachai Polite and two fine WRs so it is a bit of a toss up as to which way Texans could go.

15. Wolf12339

Wolf12339 Veteran

It was a 4th rounder this year or a 3rd in 2020. They were on the phone with us and Eagles at the same time.

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

If if we’re butts. Bla bla bla. Again don’t want to trade up fine. I was ok with staying put. I was ok with trading down. I was ok with drafting a starter at 23. I’m not ok with drafting a small school weak ass project (even though I like him) over other players that would of come in and started and made a difference immediately at other positions of need.

17. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

A lot of people reasonably expect 1st rounders to be day 1 starters. There are exceptions of course with QBs being the obvious. I think players taken in the bottom third of the 1st can be exempted from this unwritten and arbitrary rule unless they impress their coach in the preseason games.

18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

So it’s a third next year and we get Dillard or keep our third and take Howard. Or keep our third and draft a starter at RT. Or trade down acquire more picks. I would take any one of those choices over Howard. And again I like Howard but not so much that I’m taking him over a starter at other need areas or even Sweat a top 10 talent that fell.

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Duane Brown came from a power 5 school and wasn’t a day 1 starter. We know how he progressed.

But ok Nostradamus, how do u know he won’t be a day 1 starter? Hell how do u know any of these other players would’ve come in, started and made a difference?

bah007 likes this.
  20. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

GFY. It’s my opinion. We will see. You want to start this Name calling you can kiss my ass. Anyone with a lick of common sense and half a fken brain knows Ford or Risner would come in and start on this **** OL right away. If you’re to stupid to know that don’t respond to me anymore dick head.

Pharaohcious likes this.