Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Cal McNair...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Well, well...

Gotta hand it to Cal. Didn’t see the firing of Brian Gaine coming at all! Not saying I agree with the firing, as I thought Gaine’s 1st draft as GM was better than anything Rick has done (outside of the 1st round) and we didn’t even get a chance to see the results of this class. I also don’t disagree because I didn't think we improved the roster via FA.

On one hand, I’m glad Cal is nothing like Bob and just letting sh1t ride when it’s obvious it ain’t working and going nowhere fast, but on the other hand I’m left scratching my head because Butt Chin is STILL head coach. Seriously, WTF Cal?! If you’re going to do something don’t half ass it! O’Brien should have bounced with Gaine, and let the new GM hire the coach he sees fit to get us to the promise land. O’Brien is what he is, and his non scheme/game plan per opponent bullsh1t has ran its course.

Cal should have fired the whole gang! (Gaine, Butt Chin, and Devlin.) I think the wrong guy was fired, and if Ass Jaw is given any more power than he obviously has, this organization is going down in flames. We’re talking a 5-10 year setback!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    NastyNate, Wolf6151, KA4Texan and 4 others like this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Gee, I expected so much more

Double Barrel likes this.
  3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

It's easier to fire a G.M. after the draft than fire a Head Coach in the middle of OTAs and training camp.. Especially when you now don't even have a G.M.

However, I think Bill now knows he's on a extremely short leash. He better produce out of the gate, because I'm not sure he can even survive one of his annual slow starts. If he has one of those he might be fired in season.

4. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Well, his ass may be gone come week four. (Here’s hoping) If last year we went 0-3 with an easier schedule, I don’t see him having the team ready at all for this schedule given his track record.

5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

NFL = Not For Long... Jerry Glanville

6. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

I want OB gone now, but if we brought in a new coaching regime now, we’d get deshaun hurt. Not enough time for a coach to evaluate what he has or for our team to learn new a new playbook(s). If he goes 0-3 though, I’m fine with letting him go and having Crennel finish out the season

Texansballer74 and JamTex like this.
  7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Yep, but that only applied to the other 31 teams until now. As long as I can remember we've always kept people longer than we should've. Gaine is the first guy I can remember where his firing caught me off guard/premature. That's why I want to know wtf really happened.. Our local media sucks and since the national media doesn't really care about our team, we'll probably never know what really happened.

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Basically I WANT the truth!!!

Tom Cruise represents Texans fans, Jack Nicholson is Cal McNair.. and I'm sure we all now know who Santiago is. :)

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Speculation will continue to run rampant on this board though

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

One move to fire a GM does not suggest that Cal is different than his father. The only thing that it suggests is that he seems way in over his head just like his father was most of the time. Who the hell fires their GM right before training camp during OTA's? He didn't think that he might want to replace Gaine you before FA period hit or the draft? Look at the strange situation this new GM has to walk into now especially with OB. How many guys want to take a GM job in the middle of that? I suspect that certain guys the Texans may want may lack interest over things like that. The Texans may have to just get a one year rental GM until the find the proper fit over the off season.

Its great to see Gaine out of here, but Cal has done nothing to get himself celebrated. He looks like a total clown in this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor
  11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

The ol' Friday media dump into the weekend media cycle routine.. I hate it too.

Texansballer74 and steelbtexan like this.
  13. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Axing Gaine right now was an over-correction. It doesn't give me hope, it shows me Cal has some learning to do.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Exactly. The circumstances in this is terrible. Who wants to come and work for Cal right now as GM or future HC?

maverick512000 likes this.
  15. Max

Max Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what can be read into Cal's decision to fire Gaine other than he wanted to make a statement that he's running the show now. He could settle in and run things much the same way his dad did from here for all we know. He could also be an impulsive maniac that drops the hammer on GMs and coaches on a whim. Or anything in between. I want to be optimistic that he's demonstrating that he doesn't have the patience of Job like his dad but it seems too early to celebrate anything until we get a better sense of how he's going to operate.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Unless Gaine did something that gave Call no choice but to fire Gaine.

I don't believe for a minute the statement Call had put out for him by the PR Dept.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Two "Ls" why?

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

This is purely a fan thing. There are 32 HC & GM spots. At any given time a handful are open. People clamor for them.

Buy an "are" while your at it.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hopefully Ceasario comes. He was my 1st choice before the Gaine hire.

He's turned down gm jobs before.

CWTexansFan and beerlover like this.
  20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

If this **** keeps going OB will fire Cal and really take command of franchise, but for now Cal is safe.

Mangler, Toro Bravo, Porky and 4 others like this.