C.C Brown Vs. Glenn Earl

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by real, Mar 27, 2007.

?

Who would you rather start at SS next year ?

1. C.C Brown

19.8%
  2. Glen Earl

80.2%
  1. real

real Guest

[​IMG] VS. [​IMG]

I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but seeing that the draft is around the corner, and most(if not all) are hoping for a new FS, I thought I'd bring it back up. IMO, both of these guys are strong safeties, and neither is suited to play the Free.

Here are C.C's career stats:

2005: 79 Tackles, 1 int, 1 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble
    2006: 76 Tackles, 1 int, 4 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 1 sack

Here are Earl's career stats:

2004: 44 Tackles
    2005: 35 Tackles, 2 Int, 3 pass deflections
    2006: 74 Tackles, 1 int, 3 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 2 sacks

I remember C.C's rookie year, he lead the team in tackles through a good portion of the beggining of the season. I really liked C.C as a rookie playing SS. Of course he made rookie mistakes, but I thought he was very active and had good instincts at the position. He was also, IMO, very fast to the ball carrier. Originally I think I may have wanted Earl to play the position, but thinking about it, I'd rather have C.C start at the Strong Safety position. He's not as big as Earl, but he hits just as hard. I don't have their actual 40 times, but to me it seems as if C.C plays faster. I also like how C.C plays around the line of scrimmage.

Who would you rather start ?

Goldeagle likes this.
  2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Good thread for discussion. IMO, it's a toss up. I think they're similar in the way they play. Although I voted for Earl, they both have decent ability to play the position. Earl just seems to lay the wood a little harder than C.C.:)

3. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

I'm in favor of moving Glenn Earl and starting him at FS. That's where he played at ND if I'm not mistaken. C.C. should provide depth at SS. If I'm the Texans I'm drafting Aaron Rouse in the 3rd round and letting Rouse battle it out with C.C. in Training Camp.

4. real

real Guest

So far it seems as if I'm the only one who likes C.C...

I really don't think it's fair to judge him from this last year because he was playing out of position IMO. IMHO, I think C.C played better or just as good at SS his rookie year that Glen Earl played this past year.

Wouldn't be upset with either, but I think C.C has a chance to be a darn good SS. JMO

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I went with CC Brown, but really I can't pin point why... I mean its a toss up as far as I'm concerned.... Maybe because of the story I saw about him when he was being drafted and his duty with the National Guard...

6. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I voted... but for the wrong guy... Signing off now to drink some coffee.

7. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

Glenn Earl! WOO! Earl all the way!

8. B.Diddy

B.Diddy Veteran

Missouri City T.X./ Sam Houston State University
    I have to go with Gleen Earl after he Posterized Shockey

9. texans83

texans83 All Pro

I picked C.C. baby, I say give him the chance and draft a free saftey. I agree with you on the fact that I dont think either one can really play free.

10. real

real Guest

I'm not going to lie...

That was a really nice hit.....Good payback for how Shockey did us in the pre-season his rookie year...

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like CC at Free Safety. Show me 5 FS with better stats...

He's still young, his DC didn't know what he was doing, his DL didn't know what they were doing, His corners sure as heck didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not saying CC was the only one on the team who knew what he was doing, but I'd totally understand if Smith gets us a CB in the first round, and not a FS.

12. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Exactly.....Shockey got JACKED UP! Love that more so since for the longest of times, the kept replaying when Shockey ran over several Texans his rookie year.

13. cuzof26

cuzof26 Rookie

i agree with you kiss...although i have to stay loyal to my earl moniker, i keep hearing (from 26) that safety is an issue but the real help they need is up front. I agree both are ss playing fs, but help up front would make a significant difference for both players---vote earl

14. real

real Guest

Making this thread was the first time I actually looked at our safeties stats...

They actually both had quite a few tackles...Both had Sacks, Int's, and Forced fumbles....

But I still don't like C.C at the free....I don't like his pass coverage skills...He's not really the ball-hawking type I would like to have back there...

But you're absolutely right about the cornerback position...If we went Leon Hall or Chris Houston in the first I wouldn't be mad at that at all...

Though everyone probably knows I'd prefer the Mayor of Hit City.

15. texans83

texans83 All Pro

ok I have a question. What if we do pick Hall or a stud corner do you think we can move Flanagan(how ever you spell it) to free safety until say a rookie that we draft later (second day or something) can fill in. Im just wondering I know that the corner position is much harder to play then say the free safety IMO.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Faggan's??

I'd still prefer CC to Faggans as a safety. Now Dunta, I'll take Dunta as a safety over CC.

17. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

IMO its Glenn Earl's spot to lose.

18. real

real Guest

I dunno...

I'm thinking they put C.C at Free because he's slightly smaller, and probably a bit better at playing deep than Earl although that's not saying much...

I have no idea what the Texans are going to do next, but my guess is that they are going to do like TKyss mentioned, and draft a corner in the first round...

But if they did draft a safety, I dunno that that spot will be Earls to lose...He wasn't any better than C.C last year IMO...

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Im not saying that C.C wouldnt earn the spot before preseason ended because I think their is a good chance that he would. For some reason I cant really explain why I just would.

20. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

And to add to this post C.C. didn't know what he was doing:jk: I don't know it isn't really about stats as much as it was C.C> was caught out of position alot last year in coverage and pretty consistenly got fooled by play action:twocents:

*edit*
    Plus my avatar told me so.