C C Brown Tendered as a Second Rounder

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans Pride, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Although C.C. Brown was drafted in the sixth round, the Houston Texans believe their starting strong safety is worth a second-round pick from another team on the open market.

That is the tender offer Brown was given Wednesday as a restricted free agent, FOXSports.com has learned.
    Chosen in 2005 out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Brown has started 44 of a possible 48 games in his three NFL seasons. Brown had his best campaign in 2007, finishing with career-highs in tackles (83), passes defensed (8) and fumbles caused and recovered (5).

With the second-round tender, Brown is now guaranteed a $1.4 million base salary from Houston for the 2008 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7849038/Source:-Texans-give-2nd-round-tender-to-Brown#tb

Could this be Houston's attempt at gaining a second round pick back...HMMMMMMMMMM

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Hmmmm that might be in their thinking but no one in their right mind is going to offer a second for CC Brown surely.

Then again $1.4m for your starting S isn't terrible money. Anyone who starts 44 of 48 games in the National Football League must be ok surely.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm rubbing my jaw from the high velocity collision with the floor. I was hoping for the extra 6th round pick.

Blondie once said that dreaming is free. But it just cost the Texans $1.4 million.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't know if I would be happy or not if he was signed by another team. We would get our second rounder back, but our crappy secondary would become even crappier...

That said he's not worth anywhere near a 2nd round pick IMO

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I cant see any GM outside of Matt Millen giving a 2nd for Brown.

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

How 'bout da RRRaiders??

They are disatisfied with their safeties and they have a senile old man in charge..... Can we ask CC's agent to give Al a call.

7. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Parcells was extremely high on CC coming out of college.

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

For a 2nd rounder he wont be.

9. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i remember reading demeco say something last year that surprised me- something along the lines of: 'we need more leaders like dunta and CC..'

i just thought it was interesting that he was looked at as a leader like that

CC's stats are decent and its a weak year for S in the draft so you never know.. plus those draft picks are negotiable so it might land us a 3rd or 4th yet even if nobody gives a 2nd

10. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

It's one of those deals where he's worth more than a 6th but less than a 2nd and in his case, there's nothing in-between in terms of RFA tenders.

Low tender is $927k, which could have been low enough to attract another team with a 6th to spare. But even though they have first right of refusal I guess the Texans decided to spend an extra 500k that they would probably have had to spend anyway in a counter-offer situation to keep him off the market.

There's a good chance Demps is gone so I guess they wanted to make sure they kept at least one of their experienced safeties in the house. $1.4 isn't crazy money - even for C.C - as long as it remains a one year deal at that price.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Where there's a Millen there's a way!!!

Texan_Bill likes this.
  12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

from this casual fan's POV this seems like a genius move.

if someone likes him enough to make him an offer, then we get a 1st day pick.

If no offer is made, C.C. re-signs for what the Texans decide to offer him.

Can we do that with Andre Davis? I'm just askin'.....

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Joker! Where you been, dude?

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Starting Safety for his first three years who is a character guy that costs us ~1/116th of our cap seems like a bargain to me. The real cost is a roster spot.

Lastly, I have always felt that Safeties get better with age. I cannot qualify that, just a feel.

15. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Trade CC for Huff straight up and re-sign Demps

CB 1: Bennet
    CB 2: Drafted guy
    IR CB: Dunta
    FS: Huff
    SS: Demps

16. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

I thought he did some much better when he finally got moved back to his natural position SS. Not a bad move by the Texans.

17. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Maybe they left out the 1 in front of the 2? @nd for CC? Hopefully Snyder or Al Davis will step up to the plate.

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Kubiak has been high on CC since he got here, and I think it would be safe to assume that Rick Smith likes him as well.

Whenn CC plays SS I have no issues with his game at all, it's that he has been forced to play FS at times; and it's at the FS position that CC looks the most out of place.

19. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think it's begining to look like Kubiak and Smith aren't looking for the athletic ball hawking type of safeties most of us prefer. Looks like they want their safeties more to enforce the middle of the field, help in run support, and as a back thought if they can help consistantly in pass defense(more of a zone scheme).

The move on C.C. isn't bad long as they keep him at SS. They got to keep Demps in the fold now IMO.

If we don't sign someone in FA for CB i'm now starting to think that's where we are going with our #1 unless someone like Clady unexpectedly drops somehow to 18.If williams is there might tab him too but otherwise I'm almost expecting CB.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

OK so that's what's happening here 'cause a 2nd rounder seemed pretty strong for CC. Appreciate the explanation.