BYU to go Independent ?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by IDEXAN, Aug 18, 2010.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Colorado State posted on Twitter late Tuesday that fellow Mountain West Conference member BYU will go independent in football and join the Western Athletic Conference in all other sports. A press conference is scheduled for Thursday, according to the post by @CSUFootball - the official Colorado State football Twitter account.
    Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/08/18/1306473/reports-byu-leavingmountain-west.html#ixzz0wxjpX7Hz
    &&
    Hardly big, big news in college football, but just a reminder that the collegiate football landscape is still very much like a volcano which is dormant but certainly fully capable of eruption again: we aren't done with the Big 12 shakeup.

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I will believe it when I see it. But if it does happen, the MWC cant catch a break.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I've kinda expected it. Notre Dame has been in the news about same issue this year. BYU is probably looking for more money.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't get why they'd do this. According to the ESPN article BYU may not have the same status as Notre Dame should they become independent.

If that is the case then what's the benefit in leaving while the Mountain West is right on the cusp of being a BCS league?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5473151

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Every time they make a bowl game they would get to keep the money for themselves.

As it is now, whenever they make a bowl game their cut is given to the MWC and divided equally among all the schools in the conference.

Plus, just like any other team, if they are in the top 14 of the BCS they will be eligible for a BCS game. IIRC, Notre Dame only has to have 10 wins, regardless of their ranking. And if they are top 8 they are guaranteed a spot.

6. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

BYU to independent is done. Fresno State reportedly accepts MWC invite.

7. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Thats 2 from the WAC. That conference is as good as dead. The MWC keeps up its bid to get a BCS conference, although it does take a considerable hit exchanging BYU for Fresno State.

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Nevada was supposedly invited to the MWC. That would give the MWC 10 teams, and leaves the WAC with 6. No conference has 6 teams, but where would these extra teams go?

9. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

^^^You're right. Report that Nevada has followed and has accepted invite to MWC.

10. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Yep, SI is reporting that both Fresno State and Nevada are leaving the WAC to join the MWC.

The WAC is so screwed.

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Not only is the WAC screwed, but MWC took a huge hit with Utah leaving...and now BYU. That's two teams that are consistantly in the top 25 at the end of the season.
    If the MWC is still looking for a BCS bid, Fresno State and Nevada just sent them backwards. Boise State seems to be the only powerhouse left in that conference, and they just joined and don't become active until 2011.

I think BYU just screwed themselves with this move...

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

TCU?..

I think the MWC is better off this way if they can keep BYU, which is likely. The MWC is not gonna keep BYU in all the other sports if they try to go independent in football. So where would BYU go now for their other sports?

They added Boise St, Fresno St, and Nevada.

They lose Utah.

Even if they lose BYU I still don't think they moved backward. But I wouldn't say they moved forward either.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

One of the radio guys (I'm a button pusher so not sure who) stated yesterday afternoon that the Big 12(10) could use BYU although that would added another cut of the pie. Also, he said that he thought the millions guaranteed to UT, A&M, Ok, etc may not be there after 2-3 years.

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The Big XII would be smart to add one of BYU/Air Force/Colorado St and then add Louisville to get to 12 teams.

That would give them two more big markets that they don't currently reach. It might give them enough TV money to make everyone happy.

15. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Sad that I forgot about TCU considering I WENT to TCU!

pbat488 and bah007 like this.
  16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

College football is so freakin' FUBAR. I try and enjoy it, because it's football, but I just can't get over how screwed the whole system is. I can usually enjoy any given game, but once the game is over and you start considering what happens to the standings, competitive balance, etc., it's just completely disheartening.

17. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

18. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

TomDienhart

Rivals Houston site says Cougars close to joining Mountain West.

19. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

20. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame